Observations on the Bamboo Moto X and switching from an HTC One

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently ordered an AT&T bamboo Moto X, coming from an HTC One. Here are some observations that may be useful to some...

Why switch?. The HTC one is a tad large and has some flakiness -- nothing major but enough little things to cause me to look at other phones. In particular, the sensor to detect when by the ear changed after one of the updates and wasn't as reliable, the phone directory would not download to my car via bluetooth fully, Android back and home buttons are poorly lit, data coverage wasn't as strong as I liked, when connected to bluetooth in my car I can't hear the nav or other info unless I switch from my radio to "media" (meaning I can't use the phone nav and listen to satellite in my car). The Moto X also offers the voice commands ("Ok Google now") and the assist features, as well as being slightly more compact while having the same size screen. Also, the wood back is pretty cool imo.

What I liked about the Moto X. Size and feel is great. The screen pops (I know some think it is oversaturated, but I think it is fine). Working with it was snappy and smooth -- no lag (I noticed more with the HTC One). The voice commands work ok -- it responds reasonably when I am not in my car (see negatives below). The sound quality is pretty good (not HTC one quality but not that far off). Signal quality is a good deal better. Can get 4g LTE in places I couldn't even pull a signal. Size is spot on -- very comfortable an pocketable. Smooth flowing lines. Originally I was of a mixed mind on the black front and bamboo with white on the back, but I didn't really notice it in person. Motorola is driving towards more of an experience around the ownership and buying process -- was pretty nice actually. They are continuing to add features, and allow you to switch between Dalvik on the OS and ART (although when I attempted that, I got errors that google play ceased to work). The feel and look of the wood is quite nice (although finish quality is an issue -- see below). Overall build quality felt solid (keys didn't rattle like some have noted and it doesn't feel flimsy). I liked the clean Android experience.

What I didn't like about the Moto X. I was hoping battery life would be better, but it really wasn't. After 3.5 hours of screen-on time (mostly reading email and a few texts), along with 30 minutes of calls, and 7 hours idle time, the phone was spent. The always-on voice commands don't work 100 percent of the time and they don't work in my car -- they experience the same issue my HTC one does above (need to be on "media" in my car to hear the response and to take advantage of the Assist voice responses when receiving and sending texts while driving). Since my phone connects automatically, unless I forego xm radio and switch to "media", the spoken texts, notices, etc. don't come through. The customized lettering was cheap looking (See the photo) -- just like the painted on AT&T logo. The bamboo wood had a "dirty" look at the edges, like they didn't clean it before staining (see photo). While the screens are nominally the same size, you lose real estate to the Android controls not being in the hardware. This was something I wasn't planning on. Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind. The Moto X camera is mediocre and colors are not as correctly calibrated as on other cameras. I also missed the percentage battery life left on the top line of the phone.

Additionally, Motorola/Google just dropped the price of wood backs by $75 within my return window and offered me a $75 store credit for accessories at Motorola as compensation (and to keep me from returning it). This kinda annoyed me -- they should have just given me a $75 google play credit or cash. Moto accessories are high margin, overpriced items for the most part at the motorola site. Also, they just launched 3 new woods, all of which look better (in the pictures online) than the dirty-looking bamboo I had.

As a result, I elected to return the phone. I am thinking I will probably reorder without the lettering on the back and will get one of the darker woods with the black plastic frame, assuming the return process doesn't end up being a major pain. If it does, I will just hang onto my HTC one and wait until the next gen of that comes out and see how it compares.

Props to Motorola for changing the game -- locally assembled, wood used in the design, innovative features like the always on voice commands. I hope they stick with it and continue to improve and innovate.

Attachments

• 1 Back with Lettering.jpg
    1 Back with Lettering.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 2 Top of Phone.jpg
    2 Top of Phone.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 3 Facebook HTC one.jpg
    3 Facebook HTC one.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 4 Facebook Moto X.jpg
    4 Facebook Moto X.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 140

anon(6267988)

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I had an HTC one for 4 months before switching to the moto x.

I love my moto x, and never looked back. The voice commands have never failed me, and the volume between the two is comparable. I have a third party notification for the battery.

And have been using HDR exclusively and my pics aren't half bad. Love my moto x!

Posted via my Moto X

baseballpig

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to comment on the texture of the wood back compared to the smooth finish (light colors) and soft touch finish (dark colors)? The smooth finish is too smooth for my personal preference, I love the grip that the soft touch gives but I also love the look of the bamboo... so I'm a little torn. Any feedback is appreciated.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Having used the One extensively, I know what you're talking about when you say why you were looking at the X. I want one. :-\

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to comment on the texture of the wood back compared to the smooth finish (light colors) and soft touch finish (dark colors)? The smooth finish is too smooth for my personal preference, I love the grip that the soft touch gives but I also love the look of the bamboo... so I'm a little torn. Any feedback is appreciated.

The wood feels smooth but not overly slick to my hands. They are not as "grippy" as the soft touch. I think the wood feels nice -- not cheap and plastic-y or cold and metallic.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you notice any dimples/imperfections in the bamboo on your moto x? I just noticed it today, there are a few patches of textured wood that I can see, looks like a basketball surface, and can feel. Wondering if mine is defective or if they are all like this.

Y2J

dstatman

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your comprehensive impressions. I'm also thinking of getting the bamboo/white back with a black front (and orange accents). Are you able to post more pictures of your phone (if you haven't already returned it), with some side or 45 degree angles?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38