Mugen Power 2800mAh Battery Case for the Moto X

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I do literally everything. multiple emails accounts, I spend a good hour and a half talking on the phone before 10am, 20,000 text messages a month. Its to me what tablets and computers are to most.
If I do nothing on my phone, the battery is great, weekends it lasts a bit longer because I dont work (much, if at all). During the week though....forget about it.

Maybe you should have a gotten a Droid Maxx or a LG G2 if you are a hardcore user like that.

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The X serves my purposes. The form factor is important because its in my hand all day. The battery on those phones although larger, provides me with little more to justify the size.

AND, the G2 was on some back order for a few weeks when I was getting a new phone and didnt have the luxury of time to wait.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The X serves my purposes. The form factor is important because its in my hand all day. The battery on those phones although larger, provides me with little more to justify the size.

AND, the G2 was on some back order for a few weeks when I was getting a new phone and didnt have the luxury of time to wait.

I said that because it seems the battery life on the Moto X is not serving you to well.

Posted via Android Central App

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Most batteries fair close to the same. Previously, I was on a s3, s4, iphones, htc one. Its all about the same give or take a hour or 2. After all this talk im actually now considering the battery case, if for nothing else to review it for a heavy user.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Most batteries fair close to the same. Previously, I was on a s3, s4, iphones, htc one. Its all about the same give or take a hour or 2. After all this talk im actually now considering the battery case, if for nothing else to review it for a heavy user.

Excellent idea. I'm thinking of grabbing it this summer.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
any feedback on the case?

any info on the incipio offthegrid?

are these cases usually quality, or do they start to break down?

thanks!

Some pictures here of the Incipio Offgrid case:
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/p...atform%25253D1&pct=ab&pcv=5990069249933479777
https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/16267

It turns out it was an AT&T exclusive. The Mugen Battery case is still a go it hasn't started shipping yet. According to that thread on Republic Wireless there is a ZeroLemon battery case on the way as well.

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I tried searching everywhere and it looks like you can't even get the incipio offgrid anywhere! Its not even on AT&T anymore! Ridiculous.

Careful what you wish for. If it's crappy (not saying it is) then not being able to find one is an excellent issue.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Careful what you wish for. If it's crappy (not saying it is) then not being able to find one is an excellent issue.

That's not the issue from the few people I have seen with it in the republic wireless forums and the Google Plus group. By all accounts It just makes the phone thick and heavy.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly the battery case is a good idea, but I feel that even with the stock 2300 mah battery is sufficient enough for all the usage with the custom Motorola X 8 CPU when charging it every other night or so

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I ordered one on the 11th when the date for shipping said the 12th. Now it says the 31st on the website. It never shipped. They sent me and email saying it would ship this week and the delay was caused by supply chain issues. We will see. If I ever get it I will post pictures. On the Incipio case, doing a Google search turned up one Craig's List listing for a cell phone shop in Denver that says they still have then in stock. Found a couple used ones on EBay but who is crazy enough to pay over $100 bucks for a used case, battery or not.......

https://denver.craigslist.org/mod/4380965632.html

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Got the Mugen case today after playing knock knock with FedEx. Our local driver just plain sucks. The free shipping on their site is Fedex Express saver. When they finally shipped from Hong Kong it arrived the next day. I guess my word for it if your expecting a case that is going to protect your phone in any way is disappointing. It is well constructed and the battery on the thing charged my phone from 50% in about 1/2 and hour but the best way to describe it is as a battery that can hold your phone versus a case with and extra battery built in. If your just looking for a quick way to charge up your naked phone when you can't get a charger and not have and external battery dangling around while your using it this is the device for you. It is probably the easiest kinda sorta case around for getting the device in and out of. Unfortunately it is not going to provide any protection to the front of the screen as the phone sticks out in the front and if you drop it, the phone is going to pop out and go flying for sure. On the plus side, you can use it as a backup battery for any micro USB device since it attaches to the phone with a short cable. NFC will not work in any way shape or form while in this case. You will need to remove the phone if you need it. The finish is soft touch and won't attract lint but is not as grippy as I would like. Pics are below.

The good news for people actually looking for a case, the Incipio offGRID is actually available in store at AT&T. Every store here in Ft Wayne had at least three in stock and it's on sale for $60.00. Its normally $80.00. I've heard other people say that they can't find it but the store manager here said he's had them continuously in stock since at least October and they get new stock in all the time. If your not having any luck locally I went to the Ft Wayne Indiana store on Lima road.https://www.google.com/search?q=at+...8#q=at&t+lima+road+fort+wayne+indiana&spell=1 They had a bunch. Maybe they'll ship one to you. I should have checked the local stores before waiting for and ordering the Mugen. It just does not meet my specific needs.

The case is very nice. The battery is slighty smaller than the Mugen at 2400 mAh versus 2800 mAh. Both devices have lights and a button on the back to check power levels. The Incipio can use the switch to power on and off. This is obviously not necessary on the Mugen since you can just unplug it. There is NFC built into the case on the Incipio. Everything seems to work on that front. I used a Moto Skip with it and it worked as expected and Google Wallet worked at McDonald's. The case completely protects the phone. The front lip is very flat and does not seem to interfere with typing or swiping at all. I like that a lot. The material is a grippy soft touch and does not seem to attract lint from your pocket like some cases. (My Seidio Dilex...... Love it but its a lint magnet) When in the case it is comparable in size to my wife's Droid Maxx in and Otterbox Defender. It's about 1mm thicker but its about 1/4 shorter and and 1/4 inch less wide than the Maxx. The way I look at it is it's like getting a Maxx on steroids with a slightly smaller screen. It's big but not unwieldy like some of the phablets. It still pockets nicely and would pair well with one of those fancy tempered glass screen protectors. I would rate the protection as about the same as an Otterbox Commuter. Removing the phone from the case is about middling between a Commuter and a Defender. Is not as easy to put on as the Mugen for obvious reasons but no harder than my Dilex. Just make sure you start putting the front on from the bottom so you don't damage the USB port. You shouldn't risk breaking of tabs removing it like on the Defender. Just follow the instructions that come in the package and it should go swimmingly.

Which device you'll want is just going to depend on your needs. If you just need a convenient way to charge your phone and want to keep it small most of the time go with the Mugen, especially if you need to charge another micro USB device occasionally. If you want a more permanent solution or don't carry a naked phone like me your going to want the Incipio. The Mugen with phone in it is thicker than the Incipio by about 2mm. It maintains a smaller overall form factor because of its design. It about the same dimensions as a naked phone in height and width. That may be hard to tell from the pictures. If Zero Lemon ever make their rumored case the Incipio is going to be a high hurdle to overcome for overall usability but the battery in the Mugen is excellent if it holds up and that is going to be tough to beat too.

If anyone still wants the Mugen and don't want to wait until next month, I'm more than happy to sell mine. I like the more permanent solution. Installing data centers is rough on electronics so I need the protection. PM me and we'll make arrangements. I've got a month to return it to Mugen. It should fill the needs of some people. Pics are below of everything.

The case I'm using in the comparisons is a Seidio Dilex case with kickstand. Photos where taken with a Droid Maxx in HDR mode using todays camera update.

Attachments

• IMG_20140320_183612467.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183612467.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20140320_183658507_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183658507_HDR.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20140320_183729299_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183729299_HDR.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20140320_183754360_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183754360_HDR.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20140320_183845759_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183845759_HDR.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20140320_183915084_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183915084_HDR.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20140320_183945891_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_183945891_HDR.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20140320_184013370_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184013370_HDR.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20140320_184149694_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184149694_HDR.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20140320_184218598_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184218598_HDR.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20140320_184233732.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184233732.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20140320_184303871.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184303871.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20140320_184322795.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184322795.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20140320_184452163.jpg
    IMG_20140320_184452163.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20140320_185204789.jpg
    IMG_20140320_185204789.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Got the Mugen case today after playing knock knock with FedEx. Our local driver just plain sucks. The free shipping on their site is Fedex Express saver. When they finally shipped from Hong Kong it arrived the next day. I guess my word for it if your expecting a case that is going to protect your phone in any way is disappointing. It is well constructed and the battery on the thing charged my phone from 50% in about 1/2 and hour but the best way to describe it is as a battery that can hold your phone versus a case with and extra battery built in. If your just looking for a quick way to charge up your naked phone when you can't get a charger and not have and external battery dangling around while your using it this is the device for you. It is probably the easiest kinda sorta case around for getting the device in and out of. Unfortunately it is not going to provide any protection to the front of the screen as the phone sticks out in the front and if you drop it, the phone is going to pop out and go flying for sure. On the plus side, you can use it as a backup battery for any micro USB device since it attaches to the phone with a short cable. NFC will not work in any way shape or form while in this case. You will need to remove the phone if you need it. The finish is soft touch and won't attract lint but is not as grippy as I would like. Pics are below.

The good news for people actually looking for a case, the Incipio offGRID is actually available in store at AT&T. Every store here in Ft Wayne had at least three in stock and it's on sale for $60.00. Its normally $80.00. I've heard other people say that they can't find it but the store manager here said he's had them continuously in stock since at least October and they get new stock in all the time. If your not having any luck locally I went to the Ft Wayne Indiana store on Lima road.https://www.google.com/search?q=at+...8#q=at&t+lima+road+fort+wayne+indiana&spell=1 They had a bunch. Maybe they'll ship one to you. I should have checked the local stores before waiting for and ordering the Mugen. It just does not meet my specific needs.

The case is very nice. The battery is slighty smaller than the Mugen at 2400 mAh versus 2800 mAh. Both devices have lights and a button on the back to check power levels. The Incipio can use the switch to power on and off. This is obviously not necessary on the Mugen since you can just unplug it. There is NFC built into the case on the Incipio. Everything seems to work on that front. I used a Moto Skip with it and it worked as expected and Google Wallet worked at McDonald's. The case completely protects the phone. The front lip is very flat and does not seem to interfere with typing or swiping at all. I like that a lot. The material is a grippy soft touch and does not seem to attract lint from your pocket like some cases. (My Seidio Dilex...... Love it but its a lint magnet) When in the case it is comparable in size to my wife's Droid Maxx in and Otterbox Defender. It's about 1mm thicker but its about 1/4 shorter and and 1/4 inch less wide than the Maxx. The way I look at it is it's like getting a Maxx on steroids with a slightly smaller screen. It's big but not unwieldy like some of the phablets. It still pockets nicely and would pair well with one of those fancy tempered glass screen protectors. I would rate the protection as about the same as an Otterbox Commuter. Removing the phone from the case is about middling between a Commuter and a Defender. Is not as easy to put on as the Mugen for obvious reasons but no harder than my Dilex. Just make sure you start putting the front on from the bottom so you don't damage the USB port. You shouldn't risk breaking of tabs removing it like on the Defender. Just follow the instructions that come in the package and it should go swimmingly.

Which device you'll want is just going to depend on your needs. If you just need a convenient way to charge your phone and want to keep it small most of the time go with the Mugen, especially if you need to charge another micro USB device occasionally. If you want a more permanent solution or don't carry a naked phone like me your going to want the Incipio. The Mugen with phone in it is thicker than the Incipio by about 2mm. It maintains a smaller overall form factor because of its design. It about the same dimensions as a naked phone in height and width. That may be hard to tell from the pictures. If Zero Lemon ever make their rumored case the Incipio is going to be a high hurdle to overcome for overall usability but the battery in the Mugen is excellent if it holds up and that is going to be tough to beat too.

If anyone still wants the Mugen and don't want to wait until next month, I'm more than happy to sell mine. I like the more permanent solution. Installing data centers is rough on electronics so I need the protection. PM me and we'll make arrangements. I've got a month to return it to Mugen. It should fill the needs of some people. Pics are below of everything.

The case I'm using in the comparisons is a Seidio Dilex case with kickstand. Photos where taken with a Droid Maxx in HDR mode using todays camera update.

Wow that Mugen is not a looker at all. The Incipio on the other hand looks pretty good. Might have to go to AT&T soon.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow that Mugen is not a looker at all. The Incipio on the other hand looks pretty good. Might have to go to AT&T soon.

I just picked up the incipio today, I agree with the thorough review in this thread. I don't need to use it all the time, but it's a decent looking case, that offers pretty good protection.

kobolila

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Greetings

Does anyone know where I can get one of the Incipio offGRID cases for the Moto X; cant seem to find one listed for sale anywhere.

TIA

K

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non