Sim Card Cutting

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So I took the plunge yesterday and got a Moto X on sale and was wondering would it be better to just get a new nano Sim or is it easy enough to just cut my micro down? I know I'd need to get a Sim card adapter to put it back in my Nexus 5 if I wanted too.

Posted via Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
IMO, I depends on your carrier. If you're using a major carrier (including their own branded pre-paid services) that has retail locations nearby, it's probably easier and there is less chance of having issues if you just go to their local store and have them give you a new SIM. AT&T does it for free if you're a post-paid or GoPhone customer, and I assume T-Mobile will be similar. If you have to order it and have it shipped, and then deal with customer service to handle the back end of associating the new SIM with your account, you're probably better off cutting it. If you're using a pre-paid carrier that doesn't offer nano SIMs, you have no choice - you'll have to cut it.

That said, I cut two SIMs myself using a template from TechnoBuffalo and a utility cutter, and both work fine.

If you're going to get a tray to use the nano SIM in a different phone, you may find that getting a bundle that includes a tray and a SIM cutter is worthwhile.

Hunter Petit

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I bought my Moto X two weeks ago and I got a H2O Wireless Sim and Airtime bundle. The Sim was a micro Sim. I was going to attempt to manually cut it but I chose not to. Then I bought a Micro Sim to Nano Sim cutter off of Amazon. (It included everything you could think of.) And I did it that way. Much better choice!

Posted with my Nexus 7 2012 or Moto X via the Android Central App

greendragon29

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Either you buy a sim cutter (which normally comes with sim ejector tool, nano adapters, micro adapters and the cutter itself) from Amazon or any of those phone cover seller kiosks in the mall. I have also gone to a Tmobile retailer and asked them to cut my standard sized SIM for me and they used the same type of cutter that I got from Amazon.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
So I took the plunge yesterday and got a Moto X on sale and was wondering would it be better to just get a new nano Sim or is it easy enough to just cut my micro down? I know I'd need to get a Sim card adapter to put it back in my Nexus 5 if I wanted too.

When I got my Moto X I also ordered a Sim cutter from amazon. It works just like a home punch to cut the Sim card down. This method worked perfectly for me. I had no problems whatsoever.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I cut my sim for use in my Moto X, and I've never had any issues. I did it with a SIM cutter I ordered on Amazon for around $8 with free prime shipping.

Joe7usmc

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Really, people pay for Sim Cutters. Pair of scissors and a steady hand. No problem. I even kept the pieces from the original, tape them back together and pop the card back in my nexus with no issues. I guess it's the price of convenience.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Really, people pay for Sim Cutters. Pair of scissors and a steady hand. No problem. I even kept the pieces from the original, tape them back together and pop the card back in my nexus with no issues. I guess it's the price of convenience.

What's the point of going to all the trouble? My sim cutter was $5 with free shipping on amazon prime. Not to mention most carriers will give you a free sim card. My moto x even came with one.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I use scissor and give it some tolerance, then use a nail filer to file it down to correct size. But probably a better idea is go to the carrier and ask them to exchange it or cut it for you.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
color me impatient; ordered a new nano from my carrier.
used the scissor, razor and pray method for a temp solution.
didn't get the nano yet so don't know if there are problems associated with my handiwork.
we shall see.
IMO, best to get one from your carrier.

Solid_Droid

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
When I got my Moto X I also ordered a Sim cutter from amazon. It works just like a home punch to cut the Sim card down. This method worked perfectly for me. I had no problems whatsoever.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Was your MotoX new or used? And do you know which SIM cutter you got?
If I use my old chopped up SIM in a new MotoX will I retain my data plan?

blackomen

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My sim started as a mini, I cut it down to a micro, then down to a nano. Then I made a nano to micro adapter out of the card the sim came on. All I used was scissors, a razor knife, nail file, and templates that came as a pdf.

There are so many ways to make sim cards work and none are expensive just what works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I got a sim cutter from Amazon. It was $7 with free prime shipping. Definitely worth it. I have been using the sim with no problems. Had to file the edges some because they were a tad rough. I would recommend spending the extra money for a cutter because it's a whole lot easier than trying to use scissors.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I too used a good pair of scissors. You can find a template of how to cut it online. It was really simple

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87