switch to S5?

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I see that Staples is running a sale tomorrow for the S5 for $.01 with a 2 year contract and a trade in. We had to give up our unlimited data plan already because my wife's phone broke while we were out of town and had to replace it asap. She is on the Edge with a Note 3 and I am still on a Moto X I purchased online. I love my Moto X but the camera is horrible. I am debating on trading in the Moto X for the S5 and just do the 2 year contract. As much as I hate Verizon and their expensive plans, I can't see leaving them because their coverage is so good.

Just wanted to get some opinions from others to see if I should make the change. If I don't I'll probably wind up getting the S6 on Edge next year.

Thanks!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) You're right about coverage - that's the first thing in deciding on a carrier. If you have no signal, there's no difference between a cellphone and a brick.

2) It's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer (and, to some extent - at least as far as what you can set - the app). Dorothea Lange could take better pictures with a Kodak Brownie than I could with a Hasselblad. As long as there's no inherent flaw in the camera don't let the camera influence your purchase. (Try Camera FV-5 Lite on your Moto, learn how to use the app and how to take pictures, and see how "horrible" it is then. [Letting it meter on a spotlight and complaining about how dark the picture is means that you don't understand your camera app.]) I print 8X10 prints from my 3MP Fuji all the time, and they look about as good as I'm capable of taking pictures. (I'm not a photographer - any decent photographer could take better pictures than I can - with the same camera.)

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Had the debate recently myself as I could have upgraded to an S5 for basically free. But decided to stay with the moto x because I like the features. The camera is capable of taking great pictures with a little finesse. Even with my DSLR I can rarely get the picture I want on the fist snap.

That said my 14 X should be coming tomorrow. Yay

Posted via Android Central App

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Indoors in crappy dealership lighting on an overcast day. The 13 works just fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 53594.jpg
    53594.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 47

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I like my S5 enough to not trade it in when I want the "next big thing". I'll keep it as a backup when that time comes. After dropping it under a disgusting movies theater seat, it was nice to be able to wash it with soap and water. Figured it was worth the risk of the water test. That was nasty.

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I will work with the camera app over the next couple of days. So far it's much better than the stock.