Moto X Style: Camera Samples, DxOMark, dpreview

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style Camera samples / DXO report

Raw and manual controls are currently NOT supported. The person from dpreview that did the camera test verified this.
That doesn't mean they can't add it later. But until we see a release saying it's upcoming, or it shows up on the phone itself, we can't assume that will change.

Ok, you are free to complain about the lack of manual controls now. Options are always good, and it's disappointing they would not use an API that is available to them. They could change it later (they are known to change their camera app), but yeah, I wouldn't bank on it.

I hope you know that you are in the minority, though.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'd agree that until the phone is out on final software, there is little ground to say it sucks when all of the evidence shows it near the top of the heap.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Take a poll of general users and ask the questions that make a device appeal to them and I'm pretty sure "ability to manipulate aperture, shutter speed and ISO and edit in RAW format" would hit the absolute bottom of the list of responses. Most people don't even know what any of that means and the vast majority of people simply want to whip out their phones, launch the camera and snap a pic. They aren't predisposed to micromanage all the settings nor do they use software to edit RAW images. The vast majority of smartphone users are using the camera as a point-and-shoot device.

Claiming a device is a loser because of the failure to incorporate that capability means nearly every single smartphone is a loser. And without seeing how good or bad the camera is on the 3rd gen X, it is simply premature to say it's a winner or loser. But it's obvious that someone demanding CameraApi2 will have a very limited choice of devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, what source is used to state that camera2 isn't supported by the Style? And is it stating that it is not used by the stock Moto app, or not supported by the hardware? Neither link in the OP mention Camera2 anywhere in the article. Did they try the MC test on unfinished software and call it missing? Where did they say it is missing? I have seen exactly zero sourced statements on this.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Take a poll of general users and ask the questions that make a device appeal to them and I'm pretty sure "ability to manipulate aperture, shutter speed and ISO and edit in RAW format" would hit the absolute bottom of the list of responses. Most people don't even know what any of that means and the vast majority of people simply want to whip out their phones, launch the camera and snap a pic. They aren't predisposed to micromanage all the settings nor do they use software to edit RAW images. The vast majority of smartphone users are using the camera as a point-and-shoot device.

Claiming a device is a loser because of the failure to incorporate that capability means nearly every single smartphone is a loser. And without seeing how good or bad the camera is on the 3rd gen X, it is simply premature to say it's a winner or loser. But it's obvious that someone demanding CameraApi2 will have a very limited choice of devices.

Exactly.

The G4, GS6, Note 4, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus have great cameras because they take great photos. Most people don't/won't use any additional manual settings.
Open camera app. Take photo. Review result.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Raw and manual controls are currently NOT supported. The person from dpreview that did the camera test verified this.
That doesn't mean they can't add it later. But until we see a release saying it's upcoming, or it shows up on the phone itself, we can't assume that will change.

Fact is end-user support for RAW and manual controls aren't the be all, end all for quality photo results.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Fact is end-user support for RAW and manual controls aren't the be all, end all for quality photo results.

Yup. It would be great if they included it since options are always good, but for most users, they're more worried about taking a shot and having it come out looking good without the need to process RAW photos. Most are happy with using apps like Snapseed to do quick edits.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

It's not just about the raw capabilities. More than that, it's having a functional interface that allows manual control for those who wish it.

It's as simple as this: if you're going to say you're going to be the class leader for a phone camera, and that you're going to bring it, means you BRING IT.

Go pick up most dslrs out there. What do they have? Auto mode and manual modes. Why? Because there different user have different needs.

There's no excuse for any phone running Lollipop to not include at least some more advanced camera features, since Google has already built it into the code.

Even iOS has some built in manual controls now. You know, for the phone that some hardcore android peeps like to point at and say is for simple minded non-technical folks.

It's sad to see so many band wagon apologists sticking up for Motorola on this because it's your beloved brand or future phone of choice. Typical, but sad nonetheless.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's not just about the raw capabilities. More than that, it's having a functional interface that allows manual control for those who wish it.

It's as simple as this: if you're going to say you're going to be the class leader for a phone camera, and that you're going to bring it, means you BRING IT.

Go pick up most dslrs out there. What do they have? Auto mode and manual modes. Why? Because there different user have different needs.

There's no excuse for any phone running Lollipop to not include at least some more advanced camera features, since Google has already built it into the code.

Even iOS has some built in manual controls now. You know, for the phone that some hardcore android peeps like to point at and say is for simple minded non-technical folks.

It's sad to see so many band wagon apologists sticking up for Motorola on this because it's your beloved brand or future phone of choice. Typical, but sad nonetheless.

Your definition of "bringing it" probably doesn't line up with a general user's expectation.

Most people are probably interested in the actual result. When Motorola claims best in class camera, I'm concerned with the results not necessarily in manually controlling the shot.

Here's an example of how most people and most reviewers are going to test if the Moto X Style has a good camera or not:

• Take low-light photo with the rear camera. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.
  • Take a motion shot, maybe sports or kid playing, or dog running. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.
  • Take a low-light selfie. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.
  • Take a picture of flower. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.
  • Take a picture where the subject is only lit by a streetlight. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.
  • Take a landscape shot in bright light. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.
  • Take a picture of a building. Compare to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4.

The Moto X Style will be judged on it's point and shoot capabilities - just like current camera phone kings (iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4). DSLRs are irrelevant to the conversation.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yup. It would be great if they included it since options are always good, but for most users, they're more worried about taking a shot and having it come out looking good without the need to process RAW photos. Most are happy with using apps like Snapseed to do quick edits.

I agree. It would be great if those options were available.

I wouldn't use them and the lack of those options don't automatically mean that Motorola didn't "bring it" as so they've claimed.

In the end, if the shots don't come out as good as the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4, Motorola will definitely hear it.

Though how do they define "class" in "best in class"? What if the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Note 4, GS6, and G4 aren't considered since they're in a higher price class? That would be nuts.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

This is my last post on this thread. I'm tired of people acting like I (and others like me) have no right to be upset by Motorolas decisions on this topic. But as I said, it's no different than any other controversial topic on these forums. It's always the same. Someone is bothered because there's a feature missing from an otherwise good phone for them, they bring it up, and the Fanboys come out in full force in defense of their favorite company. Swappable batteries, SD cards, extra long battery life, waterproof, you name it, if it's something they don't personally need, they'll defend their phone of choice, disregarding anyone else who has a different need than theirs. The only difference here is that my main complaint is fixable, since it's a software issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

This is my last post on this thread. I'm tired of people acting like I (and others like me) have no right to be upset by Motorolas decisions on this topic. But as I said, it's no different than any other controversial topic on these forums. It's always the same. Someone is bothered because there's a feature missing from an otherwise good phone for them, they bring it up, and the Fanboys come out in full force in defense of their favorite company. Swappable batteries, SD cards, extra long battery life, waterproof, you name it, if it's something they don't personally need, they'll defend their phone of choice, disregarding anyone else who has a different need than theirs. The only difference here is that my main complaint is fixable, since it's a software issue.

You're upset with Motorola? It's pretty simple- if you don't like the phone, don't buy it.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Ah my mistake then, I thought he was judging the quality of the camera based on actually having the Style in his possession which is why I asked to see some photos he took so I could understand why he disliked it. Sorry for my confusion earlier.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I don't see band wagon apologists so much as I see people saying they agree Moto hasn't been great with cameras but are willing to wait and see what this version delivers.

If the X isn't for you, great. For me, I'll take a wait and see approach. That being said, I'll be happy with a smartphone that captures photos that capture memories in a moment suitable for family and social network sharing. When I want professional photos, I'll always plan on using my Canon DSLR with it's far superior sensor, glass, manual settings and lighting accessories because that's what's necessary to differentiate between a Smartphone picture and a serious camera photograph.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Stewart1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'll be happy as long as its better than the nexus 6

also will the moto x style be using the same camera module as play?

FvC

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I just came back from a Motorola kiosk in Sao Paulo.
They just released the Moto X Play here in brazil.
The camera is supposedly the same from X Style, so I tried to compare it to my LG G4 camera (the best mobile camera I've ever seen in my life. I'm a professional advertisement photographer.)
The camera seems good, but it's no comparison to LG G4, and I imagine neither to S6.
The lack of OIS I think it's bad for a heavy and big phone, because unless you shoot using both hands, it tends to be unbalanced.
And with a BIG resolution, those small vibrations will transform into blurred pictures.

And the software is the same from last year, so I think it's a little to simple for my taste. I would love an advanced mode, like samsung and LG does.
It's a step forward to 2014 one, but still no comparison to LG and Samsung top cameras.

Although off topic, the phone seems pretty great. A little smaller than G4 and way better ergonomics.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The camera is supposedly the same from X Style, so I tried to compare it to my LG G4 camera (the best mobile camera I've ever seen in my life. I'm a professional advertisement photographer.)

It's the same camera module, but it doesn't have the same image processing as the Style.