Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon? (YES)

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X on Verizon

So, who has $400+ to spend on a phone? Its easier to get a phone at Verizon on the edge plan so you don't have to come up with all that money up front. Bloatware doesn't bother me because it can be disabled.

-Jason

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Why does the video under " where you can buy a moto x pure edition" say it will be avalible on the carriers as well as the unlocked version at amazon best buy and motorola?

Does that mean the will be a carrier version and then an actual more pure version?

Maybe im just tired lol, oh well im waiting for the droid version anyway from verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Didn't watch any video, but the article right here on AC says:

"As for where you can buy it, Motorola's going to sell the Pure Edition on its own website, on Amazon, and at Best Buy."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So, who has $400+ to spend on a phone? Its easier to get a phone at Verizon on the edge plan so you don't have to come up with all that money up front. Bloatware doesn't bother me because it can be disabled.

-Jason

I much prefer buying devices outright - I buy a lot of devices and using contracts and/or edge type plans seems to have the potential over-complicate it.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Didn't watch any video, but the article right here on AC says:

"As for where you can buy it, Motorola's going to sell the Pure Edition on its own website, on Amazon, and at Best Buy."

I understand its in the article, but the video is in the exact same article, just under where it says that.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

-Jason

Yep, that is a problem for many people not willing to spend that much upfront on a phone. My advice to you would be to wait for the Play to come to the US - my guess is it will be a Droid Turbo 2 or Turbo MAXX or something like that. Then you'll be able to get one of these new Motorola beauties on Edge.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

-Jason

Motorola has their own financing program specifically for people who cannot afford to pay the entire amount up front although I believe it is only 0% interest if paid off in 12 months. Since Edge is basically just a 0% financing system now there really is no difference as long as you have good credit.

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Motorola also offers 0% interest financing on their MotoMaker devices (and other stuff).

Motorola has their own financing program specifically for people who cannot afford to pay the entire amount up front although I believe it is only 0% interest if paid off in 12 months. Since Edge is basically just a 0% financing system now there really is no difference as long as you have good credit.
That's good to know. I have never checked out motomaker. Thanks for the heads up.

-Jason

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style on Verizon

I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan (contract ends in September). I was thinking about the Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon 64GB model, but unless they drop the pricing WAY down, I will probably go with the new XGPe, and may go 32 GB since I can use an SD card with it.

While I can (and have on my Maxx) disabled the VZW Bloat, it still takes up space. GPe looks more attractive.

And I will still have my Maxx as a backup (Moto site showed a $40 trade-in for it, meh)

Posted from my XT1080M

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Edge is much more than a financing system, depending upon what your data plan is. First, you don't pay the $40 upgrade fee. Second, if your data plan is a certain amount you get $15 back each month, and a larger data plan (8+ I think) you get $25 back each month. In other words, over two years that will pay for the cost of many phones so you end up paying nothing other than tax upfront on the full amount I believe.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so what i just saw on youtube from the marcus brown guy says

There are actually three phones.. The style which is the carrier phone, the pure edition which is exactly like the style but not sold through carriers, only Motorola best buy and amazon. And of course the play, which we wont see in the states.

That makes a lot more sense to me. Im with people who would rather buy it at the carrier store and use the edge program instead of saving up for it lol. I dont mind verizons bloat, i just disable what i dont want.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

There are actually three phones.. The style which is the carrier phone, the pure edition which is exactly like the style but not sold through carriers, only Motorola best buy and amazon. And of course the play, which we wont see in the states.

That makes a lot more sense to me. Im with people who would rather buy it at the carrier store and use the edge program instead of saving up for it lol. I dont mind verizons bloat, i just disable what i dont want.

Marcus (who without a doubt does some of the best hands on videos out there) is actually incorrect according to Android central, droid-life, the verge, engadget, android police, and more.

Moto X Pure Edition = US version of the 2015 Moto X
Moto X Style = international version of the 2015 Moto X
Moto X Play = smaller/mid range international phone

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I saw that video too. Marcus is misinformed. I have heard from many sources, including right here in this website, that there will be no carrier version. You can only buy the phone via the $400 price and insert a sim from a carrier.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

The style and the pure edition are the same phone. The style is for international markets and the pure edition sold in the US. The pure has all wireless bands to work with any carrier in the US. Don't worry about the play in the US because we don't get it
And what clocks said

Galaxy S6

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

-Jason

you're paying that $400 anyway, the subsidized way means you pay an extra $15 a month, so it would be wise of you to save the extra $200 .... you'll save about $600 every 2 years that way.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I would be pretty confident that Motorola and Verizon already have it worked through. Moto would not be touting the ability to work with all US carriers if they knew there could be activation hassles. Verizon has been the biggest supporter of Motorola since their first Droid device. Verizon might not be 100% in favor of this business model, but it's the future of the industry here in the US.

Also, regarding the 15/25 discount - doesn't matter where the device comes from. Bring your own phone, get the discount.

During the keynote they specifically said "If you have an active Verizon SIM you can put it in and go". Verizon won't activate any new SIM on their network unless it is going into a phone they "approve of" -- But as dpham said if the SIM is already activated on your line and you slap it in the phone it will work. Verizon can't stop this due to an agreement they made for some spectrum.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Edge is much more than a financing system, depending upon what your data plan is. First, you don't pay the $40 upgrade fee. Second, if your data plan is a certain amount you get $15 back each month, and a larger data plan (8+ I think) you get $25 back each month. In other words, over two years that will pay for the cost of many phones so you end up paying nothing other than tax upfront on the full amount I believe.

That's incorrect....You get the same discount if you BYOD and you only pay an upgrade fee when you get a discount on a device. At least that's the information I'm seeing from Verizon website.

Edge and all the other phone payment plans are just forms of contracts.

I am pretty sure Moto never said this phone will not come to carriers....So I think atm it's only ANNOUNCED this way. We'll have to wait and see if and when it goes to carriers and in what fashion.

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

you're paying that $400 anyway, the subsidized way means you pay an extra $15 a month, so it would be wise of you to save the extra $200 .... you'll save about $600 every 2 years that way.

my disposable income is zero. between doctors visits, food, gas and trying to fill the heating oil tank for winter, i cant save any money. a family of 3 is more important than a new phone. but with the monthly payment, it is doable. i wish i could buy a new phone every time a new flagship comes out. i take really good care of my stuff so it lasts a while. my droid ultra is mint, and it really is whizzing along good. in November i am eligible for an upgrade and thats the right time frame to see if the pure will be a good phone. with the moto payment plan i can probably swing it. and remember, if i get a new phone, my wife will need to get one too. everything just doubled.

-Jason