Moto X Style: Potential Battery life?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Potentially positive news battery wise for Moto X Style based on LG G4 Review

Anandtech finally posted their review of the LG G4 which as we know has the same processor, screen resolution, and battery size. I know it's not an exact comparison but hopefully this at least helps put people at ease a bit more while we wait for actual battery life scores.

View attachment 189422View attachment 189421

Hopefully Moto X Play will top the list :)

Mihai HG

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Potentially positive news battery wise for Moto X Style based on LG G4 Review

With new microprocessors with smaller arhitectures, the battery life is usually improved, so companies can shave off some battery power and yet have the same battery life as the previous model.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Potential Battery life - Moto X Style

The battery will be fine. Reception is right next to screen power when it comes to battery life expectations.

Terrible reception will decimate even the best battery.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

The battery will be fine. Reception is right next to screen power when it comes to battery life expectations.

Fine is a relative term.....I got a bit over 5 hours SoT on the S6 active and yet I could drain it in a day. I think this'll be OK, but I can see why some ppl wanted more. Esp since they were able to fit a 3900 in the Turbo last year. Either way....this'll most likely be my next phone unless the Nexus is just too good to pass up.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Rapid charging is supposed to replace the need for swappable batteries, for better or worse it should. I have several portable battery kits in my bag so I am always ready to top off. The battery size is fine and once things settle in and we get Android M which we all hope addresses the battery issues in Lollipop.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I know this all too well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I could probably get a day and a half with it.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Estaz

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

I have the Droid Turbo and the battery life is awesome multiple days sometimes. How come this is never mentioned in the comparison to the Moto X?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I have the Droid Turbo and the battery life is awesome multiple days sometimes. How come this is never mentioned in the comparison to the Moto X?

Two totally different targets on Battery life. Moto X aims for a day, Turbo aims for two days.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The droid turbo battery is nearly 30% larger than the battery in the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition / Style.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

Will be worth comparing between the Style and Play. Either are a big upgrade from my creaking N5

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I think people are concerned about the battery because of the higher resolution screen. That would only apply if it "were" an AMOLED screen. LCD with a higher resolution just means more pixels in the TFT. There is still only one back light as in a smaller resolution LCD screen. Now, if the panel was an AMOLED at the higher resolution...as on the S6 and S6 Edge, then yes it will use more battery because there are many more pixels to light up. That's why so many of us who have AMOLED screens try to use dark themes to keep the power flow as low as possible. So in general AMOLED "should" use less juice, but in this case I think that a larger resolution AMOLED screen will use MORE power than the same resolution LCD. This is why, I believe, that Motorola decided to go with an LCD instead of an AMOLED on the Style/Pure. My $0.02

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I think people are concerned about the battery because of the higher resolution screen. That would only apply if it "were" an AMOLED screen. LCD with a higher resolution just means more pixels in the TFT. There is still only one back light as in a smaller resolution LCD screen. Now, if the panel was an AMOLED at the higher resolution...as on the S6 and S6 Edge, then yes it will use more battery because there are many more pixels to light up. That's why so many of us who have AMOLED screens try to use dark themes to keep the power flow as low as possible. So in general AMOLED "should" use less juice, but in this case I think that a larger resolution AMOLED screen will use MORE power than the same resolution LCD. This is why, I believe, that Motorola decided to go with an LCD instead of an AMOLED on the Style/Pure. My $0.02

I'm sure many are hoping that this proves true, myself included. I hope it has some amazing standby time, at least.

kedmond

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
That's a good point about pixel density hurting AMOLED. Related to that, as you probably know, lighter colors use much more power in an AMOLED than in an LCD. Also, Moto's "always listening" features actually use very minimal power. The Moto X uses special co-processors specific for these tasks. If they used the primary CPU, then yeah, the battery life would suffer greatly.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Rapid charging is supposed to replace the need for swappable batteries, for better or worse it should. I have several portable battery kits in my bag so I am always ready to top off. The battery size is fine and once things settle in and we get Android M which we all hope addresses the battery issues in Lollipop.

I see a couple of issues here, not against you but you make a couple of points i want to respond too (certainly not criticism)

The turbo charging helps if you need to plug in for a short length of time between work and a night out, but as mentioned, there is really no excuse at this point to not have larger batteries. The Turbo has it and while the phone is heavier than those "tree hugger" phones lol, its not a thick phone.

The second point, when M comes out.. I think after last year, its a safe beat to be happy with whatever is on the phone and don't expect an update to fix a problem. My Turbo was fine on kitkat, and while people complained the lollipop messed up their motox w 5.0, i was happy the Turbo skipped it and went to 5.1.
I wouldnt buy a phone for what it will get, i would buy it for what it has.

Just my opinion, and no offense meant.

One thing i will say, the standby drain on my turbo seems more than the notes I've had. I wonder if the always listening makes much of a difference

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I see a couple of issues here, not against you but you make a couple of points i want to respond too (certainly not criticism)

The turbo charging helps if you need to plug in for a short length of time between work and a night out, but as mentioned, there is really no excuse at this point to not have larger batteries. The Turbo has it and while the phone is heavier than those "tree hugger" phones lol, its not a thick phone.

The second point, when M comes out.. I think after last year, its a safe beat to be happy with whatever is on the phone and don't expect an update to fix a problem. My Turbo was fine on kitkat, and while people complained the lollipop messed up their motox w 5.0, i was happy the Turbo skipped it and went to 5.1.
I wouldnt buy a phone for what it will get, i would buy it for what it has.

Just my opinion, and no offense meant.

One thing i will say, the standby drain on my turbo seems more than the notes I've had. I wonder if the always listening makes much of a difference

funny you compared the Turbo to Note, cause despite the larger battery, they seem to be on par with one another ... at least the Note 4. I'm not overly concerned with how this will affect the Pure/Style, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on during the reviews.

totally agree about not buying based on future expectations. usually that doesn't turn out as good as people hope. for instance, we all hear about Doze and once again Google has promised us that all our idle drainage issues will finally be resolved.

I wouldn't buy the Pure, or any phone for that matter, based off expectations that it'll get better battery life, or anything else once it upgrades to M. I'm extremely skeptical about any new OS, especially after the LP disaster and seeing all the issues the S6 and so many other phones had after the "upgrade"