Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition: Battery Life Predictions

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anyone worried about the pure editions battery?

Any regular charger will work also right? like my old nexus 5 charger of my turbo charger isn't available.. And regular car chargers that don't have quick charge

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Not in the least.

Battery varies by user, signal strength, brightness settings and etc....

I'll be my own judge on battery life.

That said, my Nexus 5 had the worst battery of any phone I've ever owned.

Yes I can agree with that the nexus 5 battery was absolutely awful

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I've only read a few reviews, both said about 4 hours SOT which sounds about right. haven't heard 6 yet. too bad they didn't use larger batteries like in the Force and Play. I assume it was done intentionally due to the Turbo/Maxx and their relationship with Verizon in the US. Could be wrong but until I hear otherwise that makes most sense to me.

Great phone though. I'm on the fence and will ultimately grab this or a Nexus. I'd love if that Force comes straight from Moto in the US and VZ leaves their hands off it ... don't see that happening though!

Bloomberg said six hours.

Even when shooting the video review above, I got nearly six hours with the screen on the entire time.

Considering the nearly perfect enhancements to stock Android without subverting it in any way, I'm more than satisfied with the Moto experience. This especially considering the standard list of bugs that Nexus users have to tolerate with initial releases. I'm more than happy to be just a tiny bit behind the curve with regard to version releases while enjoying the enhancements offered by Moto. Moto is an improved Nexus experience for me.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

The battery life is the one thing holding me back until I read some user experiences as I had a G3 with the same screen and battery and that was truly awful for sot.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Bloomberg said six hours.

Considering the nearly perfect enhancements to stock Android without subverting it in any way, I'm more than satisfied with the Moto experience. This especially considering the standard list of bugs that Nexus users have to tolerate with initial releases. I'm more than happy to be just a tiny bit behind the curve with regard to version releases while enjoying the enhancements offered by Moto. Moto is an improved Nexus experience for me.

yeah I used the moto x 2013 for about 2 weeks and absolutely loved it. I was also using, and still am, my nexus 4 and I agree with you. the software enhancements by moto is perfect.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

It's articles like that Bloomberg one that gets everyone arguing. They make it sound like battery life isn't a concern at all... almost even a plus.

From what I hear about Android M's Doze feature on the N5, it DRASTICALLY improves battery life (at least when screen is off).

Android M: Nexus 5 Doze battery test delivers amazing performance | BGR

"The Nexus 5 running Android 5.1.1, lost 4% of battery life after 8 hours, 12% after 24 hours and 24% after 48 hours. Meanwhile, the Nexus 5 running Android M lost 1.5% of its charge after 8 hours, 4.5% after 24 hours and 9.0% after 48 hours."

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Some early reviews are saying the battery life isn't that great.. They said it is average.. So my question is how bad is average. 3 hours screen on time? My nexus 5 has atrocious battery life so it couldn't possibly be worse then that....

Average is being generous, based on initial reviews. I am holding out for Anandtech, Gsmarena and Display Mate. Their reviews tend to be more thorough than others. Seems battery life though is significantly less than the Note 4 and Note 5 and likely due to the display choice.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

It's articles like that Bloomberg one that gets everyone arguing. They make it sound like battery life isn't a concern at all... almost even a plus.

From what I hear about Android M's Doze feature on the N5, it DRASTICALLY improves battery life (at least when screen is off).

Android M: Nexus 5 Doze battery test delivers amazing performance | BGR

"The Nexus 5 running Android 5.1.1, lost 4% of battery life after 8 hours, 12% after 24 hours and 24% after 48 hours. Meanwhile, the Nexus 5 running Android M lost 1.5% of its charge after 8 hours, 4.5% after 24 hours and 9.0% after 48 hours."

Those marginal improvements do not help though with screen on time and really only if you leave your device off with some background tasks. Not seeing the value for people that actually use the device with display on. M is not in any stretch a magic battery bullet and Android team was leaking legends about Lollipop and we know how that has turned out.

No software will compensate much for a display while on. Added: For that matter the Note 4 has an ultra power saver option that does the same thing for battery life. Switch it to that while sleep mode and it bleeds less than 5% in 24 hours. No M needed.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Those marginal improvements do not help though with screen on time and really only if you leave your device off with some background tasks. Not seeing the value for people that actually use the device with display on. M is not in any stretch a magic battery bullet and Android team was leaking legends about Lollipop and we know how that has turned out.

No software will compensate for a display if it is a power hog and you intend to use the device with the display actually on.

Yes, I get it... but 5 hours of SOT is not straight. You don't wake up at 7am and use the phone straight and it's dead by noon. If there are periods throughout the day where you have the screen off sitting on your desk or a table, those periods will drain slower with Doze... getting you through more of the day.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I get it... but 5 hours of SOT is not straight. You don't wake up at 7am and use the phone straight and it's dead by noon. If there are periods throughout the day where you have the screen off sitting on your desk or a table, those periods will drain slower with Doze... getting you through more of the day.

Ultra power save mode already provides such savings while asleep on the Note 4 and a simple flick of the top of the display to turn it off (and 15 seconds to un-ultra). All my verbose point was is the key killer is the display, so if a light to medium user the Moto X Pure will be fine, but heavier users expecting Note 4/5 battery life will probably be disappointed.

The least subjective tests for battery life are the endurance tests and are good indicators for display efficiency. Initial video endurance reviews state two hours less than the G4 which means about four hours less than the Note 4/5 (they are two hours longer than the G4). Key word is INITIAL reviews, since need to see more to confirm.

Another point as folks mentioned is relative brightness. 50% on the Moto X Pure could be a lot brighter than 50% on another device. We need measurements of brightness and the devices adjusted accordingly. Anandtech and Display Mate as example test this way.

Added: Doze though would be less intrusive and quicker than ultra mode on the Note- it shuts a bunch of stuff down.

Last edited:

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Ultra power save mode already provides such savings while asleep on the Note 4 and a simple flick of the top of the display to turn it off. All my verbose point was is the key killer is the display, so if a light to medium user the Moto X Pure will be fine, but heavier users expecting Note 4/5 battery life will probably be disappointed.

The least subjective tests for battery life are the endurance tests and are good indicators for display efficiency. Initial video endurance reviews state two hours less than the G4 which means about four hours less than the Note 4/5 (they are two hours longer than the G4). Key word is INITIAL reviews, since need to see more to confirm.

Another point as folks mentioned is relative brightness. 50% on the Moto X Pure could be a lot brighter than 50% on another device. We need measurements of brightness and the devices adjusted accordingly. Anandtech and Display Mate as example test this way.

Added: Doze though would be less intrusive than ultra mode on the Note- it shuts a bunch of stuff down.

I am eager to see the real user tests. I know the display is the biggest battery offender, but I really want to think that Motorola wouldn't release this phone knowing it has worse battery life than all their other phones.

Once upon a time I had the HTC Thunderbolt, so at least my bar is not high.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I am eager to see the real user tests. I know the display is the biggest battery offender, but I really want to think that Motorola wouldn't release this phone knowing it has worse battery life than all their other phones.

Once upon a time I had the HTC Thunderbolt, so at least my bar is not high.

Agreed. It makes no sense that Motorola would put a power hog display in a fixed battery device- a battery 630mAh smaller than the smaller, lower res Play. Hopefully it is more a case of relative brightness.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. It makes no sense that Motorola would put a power hog display in a fixed battery device- a battery 630mAh smaller than the smaller, lower res Play. Hopefully it is more a case of relative brightness.

Exactly... these SOT reviews can be explained away pretty quickly if Bloomberg had brightness on 35% and a few others had theirs on 100%.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still going with "if it lasts me a day, then it's OK". The real world test is gonna be my actual use.

Looking forward to 9/15.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just about every device since late 2013 seems to be able to get most users through a normal day without issue. The exceptions are rare (some S6 users, knockoff phones, etc). I'd be pretty floored if this was worse than the 2014 X given that the battery is much huger and the processor is better, etc. It is hilarious to see commentary about a 3k mAh battery being "small". That battery is ENORMOUS for a phone. Yes, there have been bigger - but the Note 5 has the same 3k mAh battery and has better battery life than the Note 4 - which had a larger battery.

mAh does NOT equate to battery life. Battery life equates to battery life. The list of factors that influence battery life is very long and depends mostly on factors that have nothing to do with the phone itself - the main drivers of poor battery life are the environment and the user. In short, the processor, screen tech and usage have FAR more influence on battery life than the size of the battery itself.

"Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings, and voice, data, and other application usage patterns".

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm still going with "if it lasts me a day, then it's OK". The real world test is gonna be my actual use.

Looking forward to 9/15.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Generally my view as well with any of my devices, since it's silly not to put it on the charger while sleeping.

Samsung.Galaxy.S3

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, it doesn't matter what any and every reviewer says in their article/review. If you use the phone exactly like the reviewer did during the review period, you should get similar results. But the question is: do you use it exactly like that? Probably not. What does that mean? It means battery life according to the review should be taken with a grain of salt (or whatever spice you like), because your usage is different. Heck, my current GS3 lasts me the entire day after unplugging it in the morning. Incredible! :D

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I would like 4 hours SOT while off charger for 12+ hours. If I can get that I'll be good most days.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is Battery Life Not Important?

I'm currently using an LG G4. I'll freely admit that I average 3 hours SoT daily. And I'll also admit that I expect/want more battery life with every new generation of phones. I'm not sure why so many of you are so quick to 'settle' and not hold the OEM's accountable. On certain days, my usage patterns are totally dictated by that SoT battery life. Today, I was in the carpool line to pick up my daughter. I was down to 50% battery due to the fact my workplace has horrible reception where I sit. I was getting into a game as I sat there in my car, but knew I had to stop playing because I needed the extra juice to take me the rest of the evening (more kid chauffeuring). Doesn't happen every day, but like I said my usage is handcuffed by my mediocre battery life.

As with all phone models, battery life on the G4 varies wildly from user to user. I average 5 hours SOT with my brightness always set at 75%. But I consistently have a strong 4G signal, which makes all the difference.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Generally my view as well with any of my devices, since it's silly not to put it on the charger while sleeping.

I turn my phone off when I go to bed and charge it overnight. So I'm ready to go in the morning. Plus, I don't want to be disturbed when I'm sleeping.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11