Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition (24.11.18)

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition

Cool. Looks like a lot of useful features added.

Posted via the Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Last night I got a notification on my pc that Moto connect will quit working on chrome this month so I figured the marshmallow release must be imminent.

Posted via the Android Central App

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like they are going right from the Test Drive to deployment; which I'd take as they are pretty confident the software is stable and ready to go. A month and some change after Google pushed it out isn't bad, certainly miles better then any carrier branded phone I ever had.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

If you have put an AT&T sim in your unlocked Moto X Pure phone or even HAD an AT&T SIM in it, do not be surprised if 6.0 does not get rolled out to you for months. Last year with my Moto X 2014 the update did not hit my phone until I pulled the SIM and FDR'ed. If you have had your phone on AT&T and want the update when its available I think your choices are to wait the additional months till AT&T rolls the OTA, Sideload the update, or if you don't mind a Factory reset (and we don't know if this will work yet, it doesn't work at all with my unlocked non carrier Nexus 6) pull the SIM and do the FDR trick. (here is a link to some of the Nexus 6 fun - http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/596946-finally-6-0-ota.html)

Last edited:

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

There should no be an issue with any carrier holding back the update. Moto needs zero approval from the carriers (Moto has flat out said this) and there is not an ounce of carrier programming on the phones other then APN settings and Moto was giving out test drive updates that I am assuming the carriers have no way of stopping. In fact once you pull the sim card out the phone it has no clue what network you are on. So in theory even if the carrier could block the updates all you do is pull out the SIM card, connect to WiFi, update and you're good to go. AT&T's own download manager ins't even present on the phone so the phone goes though Moto to check for updates, not though a carrier check. Moto would have to hold back the update from IMEI's that AT&T says is on their network.

No idea why the Nexus 6 is different but AT&T sold their own carrier variant so there very well could have been some sort of agreement with Google or Moto that the unlocked N6's on AT&T could not get it before AT&T's own variant got it or any number of other things. It's not surprising Moto utterly ditched the carriers in every way; the carriers hold too much power and cause nothing but issues and cost extra money for cell phone companies. I'm willing to bet once the switch is flipped 6.0 flows out to everyone regardless of carrier.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm looking forward to finally being able to back up and restore app data without root... Especially since I have never rooted my phones!

Jay Sullivan

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Is there any chance the Marshmallow update will include support for Camera2 API on the Moto X Pure? (fingers crossed)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Is there any chance the Marshmallow update will include support for Camera2 API on the Moto X Pure? (fingers crossed)
There's been no indication of that at all. It would be worthy of a call out in the patch notes if it was there.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't count on it. It's not in the notes that have been released.

Last edited:

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Here's to hoping everyone has Marshmallows by XMAS!

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If you have put an AT&T sim in your unlocked Moto X Pure phone or even HAD an AT&T SIM in it, do not be surprised if 6.0 does not get rolled out to you for months. Last year with my Moto X 2014 the update did not hit my phone until I pulled the SIM and FDR'ed. If you have had your phone on AT&T and want the update when its available I think your choices are to wait the additional months till AT&T rolls the OTA, Sideload the update, or if you don't mind a Factory reset (and we don't know if this will work yet, it doesn't work at all with my unlocked non carrier Nexus 6) pull the SIM and do the FDR trick. (here is a link to some of the Nexus 6 fun - http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/596946-finally-6-0-ota.html)

The difference is that AT&T sells the Nexus 6. They do not sell the Moto X Pure Edition. I believe all Moto X Pure Edition owners have the same 5.1.1 build.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There should no be an issue with any carrier holding back the update. Moto needs zero approval from the carriers (Moto has flat out said this) and there is not an ounce of carrier programming on the phones other then APN settings and Moto was giving out test drive updates that I am assuming the carriers have no way of stopping. In fact once you pull the sim card out the phone it has no clue what network you are on. So in theory even if the carrier could block the updates all you do is pull out the SIM card, connect to WiFi, update and you're good to go. AT&T's own download manager ins't even present on the phone so the phone goes though Moto to check for updates, not though a carrier check. Moto would have to hold back the update from IMEI's that AT&T says is on their network.

No idea why the Nexus 6 is different but AT&T sold their own carrier variant so there very well could have been some sort of agreement with Google or Moto that the unlocked N6's on AT&T could not get it before AT&T's own variant got it or any number of other things. It's not surprising Moto utterly ditched the carriers in every way; the carriers hold too much power and cause nothing but issues and cost extra money for cell phone companies. I'm willing to bet once the switch is flipped 6.0 flows out to everyone regardless of carrier.

FYI: Last year's second gen Moto X Pure Edition still went through carrier labs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs