Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to get USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot working on Straight Talk? When I try to select these in settings, it tells me to call AT&T to set up my account. For what it's worth, I had no issues using tethering on Straight Talk when UI had my OnePlus One.
    12-05-2015 06:29 PM
    I researched this long before I got my phone because I'm use to rooted devices having tethering capability.

When you are running AT&T side of things within ST, you are blocked on BYOP plans.

I believe ST purchased phones that run off the same damn AT&T towers will allow you to tether. So....
    If you were to purchase one of ST's phone's that run off AT&T towers then you can transfer your number to that SIM/phone, cut the card to Nano size and pop it in your Pure.
    I also see people start phone with a blank Tmobile branded SIM, allow to initialize, then reboot and put the ST SIM back in after boot. This sounds like a total PIA and something that needs to be done whenever you restart your phone. Not to sure...

Or you could just root and alter the check_state value under provider settings.

I don't think I'll root this one, but we'll see. I don't particularly like all the Google bloatware...
    12-06-2015 11:42 AM
    So if you get a Verizon SIM for Straight Talk, you can tether?
    12-07-2015 09:04 AM
    Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=QayXi0FK

You could probably side step that policy with a rooted phone. However, Straight Talk has very limited data alottment even on unlimited plans. So you'd probably run up against throttling at a minimum and outright cancellation at the more extreme end.
    Laura Knotek and dmark44 like this.
    12-07-2015 06:42 PM
    It is so wrong that you can't tether your iPad or computer to use the data you pay for. Would anyone be interested in a class action suit? Straight talk lost their suit for unlimited data claims. They would lose this one too. I pay for 10g and I should be able to use it on a tether program.
    kf6kmx and lcasa90125 like this.
    12-04-2016 09:26 AM
    Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=K_mLXgn5

You could probably side step that policy with a rooted phone. However, Straight Talk has very limited data alottment even on unlimited plans. So you'd probably run up against throttling at a minimum and outright cancellation at the more extreme end.
    That's the precise reason I went with gophone when I had a second prepaid for use with a business line (company supplied iPhone would never Hotspot reliably to the Surface when I was on site and needed to order parts online) ... Gophone is the only one I talked to that explicitly ALLOWS wifi Hotspot... They don't care how you use the data you pay for (which is how it should be.... I paid for the data, it's no different if it's on the phone screen or the laptop).
    lcasa90125 likes this.
    12-04-2016 10:01 AM
    I can tether with my phone, I use my tablet all the time
    Clayton Crawford likes this.
    01-30-2017 09:50 PM
    How do you use Mobile Hotspot on Straight Talk?
    What plan & device do you have ?

I am also in GA btw, Atlanta area.
    12-22-2017 09:47 AM
    How do you use Mobile Hotspot on Straight Talk?
    What plan & device do you have ?

I am also in GA btw, Atlanta area.
    I don't actually have a need to mobile hotspot with my phone, but I DO have the capability to do so.

I am on the Straight Talk Verizon MVNO and have a Moto X Pure XT1575.

To access the hotspot option on my phone, I need only use the pull down shade, tap edit, and drag the hotspot icon up.

Once you've added the icon, go back to your home screen, pull down the shade and tap (or long press) on the icon (once your data is turned on). You should be presented with your hotspot configuration options at that point.
    12-28-2017 02:04 PM
    I don't actually have a need to mobile hotspot with my phone, but I DO have the capability to do so.

I am on the Straight Talk Verizon MVNO and have a Moto X Pure XT1575.

To access the hotspot option on my phone, I need only use the pull down shade, tap edit, and drag the hotspot icon up.

Once you've added the icon, go back to your home screen, pull down the shade and tap (or long press) on the icon (once your data is turned on). You should be presented with your hotspot configuration options at that point.
    Yeah, my Sony Xperia unlocked has that same feature. You can turn Portable WiFi Hotspot on but it gives you the "no internet access" when you're connecting a device, like a PC or tablet.

Brother tried from his phone using his Virgin Mobile service and it works just fine.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new BYOP cell service.
    01-01-2018 09:41 AM
    I know for a fact that Cricket lets you Hotspot on their plans. They do charge an extra $10 bucks and you do have to be on a certain plan, the 8 gig plan, but hey, they do have the option! So, Cricket is advanced on this way above ST! Hope this helps out!
    02-08-2018 02:32 PM
    Yes, a class action suit would be the way to fight them.
    Justin S1 likes this.
    02-27-2018 07:48 PM
    I am in for class action suit !!! I just spent 500 plus plan and insurance for my galaxy s7 and can't even turn on a hotspot for my kids tablet when traveling and none of that is disclosed at point of sale when you expect it
    03-17-2018 01:08 PM
    It's actually in the Straight Talk agreement, which the consumer is technically supposed to read (although most don't). Proceeding with the transaction is implicit acceptance of the agreement. I doubt a class action would be considered to have any merit by a judge (but then again, I'm not a lawyer).
    acejavelin and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-17-2018 05:01 PM
    I am in for class action suit !!! I just spent 500 plus plan and insurance for my galaxy s7 and can't even turn on a hotspot for my kids tablet when traveling and none of that is disclosed at point of sale when you expect it
    Does your plan allow for tethering?
    04-01-2018 05:44 PM
    Does your plan allow for tethering?
    Nope... Directly from https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=dHVo5w21

7. UNAUTHORIZED USE OF SERVICEYour Service (i.e., voice, text, or data services) may only be used for the following purposes: (a) person to person voice calls, (b) text and picture messaging, and (c) web browsing, email, ordinary content downloads and uploads, and video and audio streaming without excessively contributing to network congestion.
    Your Service may not be used in connection with certain unauthorized uses that may adversely impact other customers using our Service or the Carrier’s network. Examples of some unauthorized uses include, but are not limited to, the following:
    (i) continuous uninterrupted voice calls or otherwise using your voice service to provide monitoring services, data transmission, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing activity, autodialed calls, or robocalls;
    (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address;
    (iii) uninterrupted and continuous web browsing uploading, downloading, or streaming of audio or video;
    (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer ("P2P") file sharing;
    (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections;
    (vi) access to the internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit (excluding all hotspot applications),
    (vii) any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan.
    No offense, but it is clearly defined here... Although I doubt I know every Straight Talk plan, only Hotspot specific plans allow for tethering, all "regular" smartphone plans do not regardless of the amount of data included.
    B. Diddy and Ry like this.
    04-07-2018 10:36 AM
    Straight Talk has the Majesty Pro which has hotspot capabilities. Since that is a ST phone that's right from Wal-Mart's product listing does that mean it's allowed?
    04-16-2018 01:13 PM
    Straight Talk has the Majesty Pro which has hotspot capabilities. Since that is a ST phone that's right from Wal-Mart's product listing does that mean it's allowed?
    Nope... the phone's hardware and software support it, but not the ST plans, and it will not allow it be turned on. It's a marketing gimmick. There is NO TETHERING on Straight Talk voice/data plans, except Hotspot specific plans, which do not include voice.

Now, if you got a voice only SIM and a Hotspot SIM, and a dual SIM device like a Huawei Honor 7X or Axon 7 or something... Maybe you could get both in one device.
    04-21-2018 08:55 AM
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to get USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot working on Straight Talk? When I try to select these in settings, it tells me to call AT&T to set up my account. For what it's worth, I had no issues using tethering on Straight Talk when UI had my OnePlus One.
    Yes! Google search PdaNet+, download and install onto phone and a laptop computer running Windows 10 or any OS that is able to turn on Mobile Hotspot through a computer if OS differs make sure PdaNet is compatible with that OS follow the instructions and it will work the wireless hotspot setting does not work but the USB tethering to Computer Works flawlessly on a computer just make sure to turn on Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 don't have to search for it the little PdaNet icon will give you a option to open Windows mobile hotspot page you will be allowed to connect any device you want up to eight devices at a time only because that is what windows allows to be connected at one time wirelessly make sure you have your Wi-Fi turned off on your phone and does not allowed to Auto reconnect because if it does then PdaNet will use your Wi-Fi internet data and not Straight Talk's phone data keep Wi-Fi off and you will solely and only use Straight Talk data I run Xbox live off of it. One other thingMake sure in the app you also select hide usage from carrier you do not have to be rooted to use this
    05-04-2018 10:08 AM
    Download the app on Android called "settings database editor" and find the "mhs hidden SSID visibility" set the value to "1" and on almost all droids that support hotspot it will unlock hotspot. the app icon is red with a blue settings icon.
    07-05-2018 01:49 AM
    Nope... the phone's hardware and software support it, but not the ST plans, and it will not allow it be turned on. It's a marketing gimmick. There is NO TETHERING on Straight Talk voice/data plans, except Hotspot specific plans, which do not include voice.

Now, if you got a voice only SIM and a Hotspot SIM, and a dual SIM device like a Huawei Honor 7X or Axon 7 or something... Maybe you could get both in one device.
    I have the ZTE Majesty which is the cheapest ST phone there is and it does support hotspot, I used mine the first 2 or 3 months I had it then suddenly it wouldn't cut on anymore, I've been trying to find a way around it by rooting ect, but so far have had no luck.
    09-08-2018 06:39 PM
    Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=Lgmc_VZl

I've reviewed the agreement and I find it to somewhat contradict itself. Specifically:

>I. Straight Talk Wireless Service
    >7. UNAUTHORIZED USE OF SERVICE
    >(vi) access to the internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit (excluding all hotspot applications),

First I notice the line "except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit"

I assume this line to mean that using a hotspot or usb tether should be fine as long as the functions are native to the phone and not through a 3rd party software or by rooting the phone. My LG Rebel 3 is a straight talk branded phone that uses cdma/Verizon towers and has native (built-in) hotspot and usb tether abilities. It doesn't seem like straight talk would sell phones with a feature built right into it that would cause you to be in direct violation of their terms and conditions; it just wouldn't make sense. But, as it's been pointed out, right after (vi) is this:
    (vii) any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan.

So...6 has the exception that makes it look okay...but then 7 says only if it specifically says in my plan.
    I am wondering, if I were to use the USB tether would my service be canceled or throttled, and if so, how quickly? I've heard using a VPN makes it so I'd be less likely to be caught using USB tether. I use my laptop with public Wi-Fi to download torrents of tv series to watch at home where I have no internet, but I was thinking of trying to use my phone for my laptops data connection just to download large torrent files, only one at a time though. For example, a season might be 1.2gb. Can I use my phone's data to quickly download a large (1 or 2 gigabytes) torrent to my laptop then disconnect it, and not have any issues?
    09-13-2018 12:53 PM
    I've never tried USB tethering. Wi-Fi tethering is slow for me. Its fine to download songs, or load a webpage on the internet but not to watch movies or download large files. I currently have ST and I downloaded Foxfi and a cracked Key off the internet to bypass the allotted Wi-Fi limit. It works, albeit slowly, maybe you will have better results.
    09-13-2018 01:07 PM
    I've reviewed the agreement and I find it to somewhat contradict itself. Specifically:

>I. Straight Talk Wireless Service
    >7. UNAUTHORIZED USE OF SERVICE
    >(vi) access to the internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit (excluding all hotspot applications),

First I notice the line "except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit"

I assume this line to mean that using a hotspot or usb tether should be fine as long as the functions are native to the phone and not through a 3rd party software or by rooting the phone. My LG Rebel 3 is a straight talk branded phone that uses cdma/Verizon towers and has native (built-in) hotspot and usb tether abilities. It doesn't seem like straight talk would sell phones with a feature built right into it that would cause you to be in direct violation of their terms and conditions; it just wouldn't make sense. But, as it's been pointed out, right after (vi) is this:

So...6 has the exception that makes it look okay...but then 7 says only if it specifically says in my plan.
    I am wondering, if I were to use the USB tether would my service be canceled or throttled, and if so, how quickly? I've heard using a VPN makes it so I'd be less likely to be caught using USB tether. I use my laptop with public Wi-Fi to download torrents of tv series to watch at home where I have no internet, but I was thinking of trying to use my phone for my laptops data connection just to download large torrent files, only one at a time though. For example, a season might be 1.2gb. Can I use my phone's data to quickly download a large (1 or 2 gigabytes) torrent to my laptop then disconnect it, and not have any issues?
    Except it explicitly states "excluding all hotspot applications"... Now I am no lawyer, but I am pretty sure this section is intended to mean that any application on the phone can use internet data except hotspot applications, but nothing external to the device can use it.

This is nothing new, this is the intent of Straight Talks T&C... that you cannot tether anything to your device (hotspot, USB tether, etc) and it isn't open to your personal interpretation. You can try to twist this how you wish, but it is well known that ST does not allow tethering.

Now, some people with some devices can get it to work, but ST could at their discretion terminate your service for it... Will it happen? Who knows... Google will definitely fine instances where it has, but that doesn't mean it will happen.
    09-14-2018 04:47 PM