Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to get USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot working on Straight Talk? When I try to select these in settings, it tells me to call AT&T to set up my account. For what it's worth, I had no issues using tethering on Straight Talk when UI had my OnePlus One.
    12-05-2015 07:29 PM
    I researched this long before I got my phone because I'm use to rooted devices having tethering capability.

When you are running AT&T side of things within ST, you are blocked on BYOP plans.

I believe ST purchased phones that run off the same damn AT&T towers will allow you to tether. So....
    If you were to purchase one of ST's phone's that run off AT&T towers then you can transfer your number to that SIM/phone, cut the card to Nano size and pop it in your Pure.
    I also see people start phone with a blank Tmobile branded SIM, allow to initialize, then reboot and put the ST SIM back in after boot. This sounds like a total PIA and something that needs to be done whenever you restart your phone. Not to sure...

Or you could just root and alter the check_state value under provider settings.

I don't think I'll root this one, but we'll see. I don't particularly like all the Google bloatware...
    12-06-2015 12:42 PM
    So if you get a Verizon SIM for Straight Talk, you can tether?
    12-07-2015 10:04 AM
    Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...and-conditions

You could probably side step that policy with a rooted phone. However, Straight Talk has very limited data alottment even on unlimited plans. So you'd probably run up against throttling at a minimum and outright cancellation at the more extreme end.
    Laura Knotek and dmark44 like this.
    12-07-2015 07:42 PM
    It is so wrong that you can't tether your iPad or computer to use the data you pay for. Would anyone be interested in a class action suit? Straight talk lost their suit for unlimited data claims. They would lose this one too. I pay for 10g and I should be able to use it on a tether program.
    kf6kmx likes this.
    12-04-2016 10:26 AM
    Straight Talk's policies explicitly prohibit tethering except in very limited circumstances. https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...and-conditions

You could probably side step that policy with a rooted phone. However, Straight Talk has very limited data alottment even on unlimited plans. So you'd probably run up against throttling at a minimum and outright cancellation at the more extreme end.
    That's the precise reason I went with gophone when I had a second prepaid for use with a business line (company supplied iPhone would never Hotspot reliably to the Surface when I was on site and needed to order parts online) ... Gophone is the only one I talked to that explicitly ALLOWS wifi Hotspot... They don't care how you use the data you pay for (which is how it should be.... I paid for the data, it's no different if it's on the phone screen or the laptop).
    12-04-2016 11:01 AM
    I can tether with my phone, I use my tablet all the time
    Clayton Crawford likes this.
    01-30-2017 10:50 PM
    How do you use Mobile Hotspot on Straight Talk?
    What plan & device do you have ?

I am also in GA btw, Atlanta area.
    12-22-2017 10:47 AM
    How do you use Mobile Hotspot on Straight Talk?
    What plan & device do you have ?

I am also in GA btw, Atlanta area.
    I don't actually have a need to mobile hotspot with my phone, but I DO have the capability to do so.

I am on the Straight Talk Verizon MVNO and have a Moto X Pure XT1575.

To access the hotspot option on my phone, I need only use the pull down shade, tap edit, and drag the hotspot icon up.

Once you've added the icon, go back to your home screen, pull down the shade and tap (or long press) on the icon (once your data is turned on). You should be presented with your hotspot configuration options at that point.
    12-28-2017 03:04 PM
    I don't actually have a need to mobile hotspot with my phone, but I DO have the capability to do so.

I am on the Straight Talk Verizon MVNO and have a Moto X Pure XT1575.

To access the hotspot option on my phone, I need only use the pull down shade, tap edit, and drag the hotspot icon up.

Once you've added the icon, go back to your home screen, pull down the shade and tap (or long press) on the icon (once your data is turned on). You should be presented with your hotspot configuration options at that point.
    Yeah, my Sony Xperia unlocked has that same feature. You can turn Portable WiFi Hotspot on but it gives you the "no internet access" when you're connecting a device, like a PC or tablet.

Brother tried from his phone using his Virgin Mobile service and it works just fine.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new BYOP cell service.
    01-01-2018 10:41 AM
    I know for a fact that Cricket lets you Hotspot on their plans. They do charge an extra $10 bucks and you do have to be on a certain plan, the 8 gig plan, but hey, they do have the option! So, Cricket is advanced on this way above ST! Hope this helps out!
    02-08-2018 03:32 PM