Moto X service question

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
My daughter's monster cat (nearly 20 lb and growing) kicked a field goal with her Moto X pure and cracked the screen. So she coughed up $199 (and sales tax - really Moto ?? Sales tax??) And sent it in. Life lesson.

I was wondering if she'll get the same phone back, a refurbished one, or a new one (lolz right). It was backed up and everything...

I may add I'm not happy with the repair cost BTW... $199 for a broken digitizer that should be $30. The price is inline with other "premium" 5.5 inch phones but still, $200 to repair a $300 phone is a bit hard to swallow. Is the X that difficult to repair?

vedang444

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
It's actually not the difficulty level alone that contributes to the cost but the material itself. Having managed a Moto Service Center before (not in the US), I can confirm that most of the mid to high range phones face the problem of high part cost.
The PCB, touch and display are by far the most expensive parts of the handset, usually accounting to nearly half or sometimes more than half of the cost. To add to that, most new phones have their touch screen and LCD display as one part, which leads to the cost of the screen almost always being significantly more than half the handset price.

Usually you would get the same handset with the screen changed, depending on the damage. But in some cases they do give a refurbished phone if their is more cosmetic damage. If it's the former, you have a small chance of getting the data back, unless they needed to format it. I wouldn't count on those chances though.

Hope this helped.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in the outcome of this. Please, keep us posted. I'd like to hear that someone has a positive, albeit expensive, experience.

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Just sent it yesterday, and the FedEx kid said lots of people are sending phones for repair...

Having spent the last 30 years in mobile communications and entertainment devices myself I know the costs, but you got to wonder if the repair is simply a revenue stream with the pressure to keep initial prices low.

I would hope that the unbreakable Droid becomes available to the unlocked GSM crowd with less of a premium than Verizon charges. My boss has one and I would gladly pay another $100 for the feature.

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Phone arrived at Moto service depot using the prepaid mailing label. A day later we got email they got it.

No further updates as the online repair tracking system has a bad hair day and does not always track all orders. Called to make sure, they are working on it.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Phone on its way back, within the service time quoted. Got the email from Moto.

This sounds promising ... many horror stories on the Moto forums about Repair or Replacement issues. May I ask where it was sent for repair (in the US?)? Many of the problems seem to be customers in India/Asia - I think Motorola's expansion into South America, Asia, India etc has stretched their ability for service to/beyond a breaking point.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just sent it yesterday, and the FedEx kid said lots of people are sending phones for repair...

Having spent the last 30 years in mobile communications and entertainment devices myself I know the costs, but you got to wonder if the repair is simply a revenue stream with the pressure to keep initial prices low.

I would hope that the unbreakable Droid becomes available to the unlocked GSM crowd with less of a premium than Verizon charges. My boss has one and I would gladly pay another $100 for the feature.

The Moto X Force is the Droid Turbo 2.

http://www.motorola.in/products/moto-x-force

Couldn't find any unlocked options. The site link is for the Indian version.

Posted using my Moto Maker Moto X Pure Edition on Verizon... Unlimited Data as well...Android Central App helped as well ;)

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Yikes ^ 2, it's $750 in India....

Moto arrived safely today from the Dallas service center. Appears to be a new phone preloaded with Android Marshmallow. Seems to work fine.

Moral lesson. Don't leave a smartphone near a 20 lb cat that costs as much as 3 Moto X Pure's...

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear that there are happy endings for some. It seems that spending $200 for a repair works, having MotoCare does not.