Anybody else sticking with the MXPE?

anjilslaire

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've got a question about updates. I know the MXPE is getting Android N but does anyone think it will get the next update whenever it's released next year?

Posted via the Android Central App

Have we seen it officially stated from Motorola that it'll get Nougat? I've seen lots of speculation and assumptions around timelines only.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I've got a question about updates. I know the MXPE is getting Android N but does anyone think it will get the next update whenever it's released next year?

I'm not convinced that the XPE is getting N. Lenovo has backed way off from updating, as it was done by Moto in the past. We never got 6.01 and security updates are few and far between. I'll be happily surprised if we get Nougat, but I don't see it happening and O(reo) will never happen.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I actually would like to replace my MXPE. It's so damn laggy. But, moto Z doesn't look like it's for me.

My one hesitation with switching away from a Moto device is that I have become so reliant on active display, and no other phones seem to have it.

Are we sure there is no new Moto X this year?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Will my phone get updated to Android Nougat? Will my phone get updated to Android Nougat? | Android Central

This article appears to be just a fluff piece, or the authors opinions... there are no references or links to backup any of this information.

That being said, will this device get Nougat? Probably... although don't expect it in a hurry, but hopefully before the end of the year. Then again, in the last year or so Lenovo's track record on updates is pretty poor, they promised Lollipop and Marshmallow on several device then later retracted that and said it wasn't possible (which we know was a blatant lie), so they may decide it is easier to abandon the device and try to sell you something new.

tk42one

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've had my XPE since October and don't plan on switching. I just can't justify having a phone for only a year. But if it crapped out, the only devices I would consider are the OnePlus 3 and the upcoming Nexus phones.

I've been pretty happy with it so far, aside from a few issues:

-- I've had to do a factory reset to resolve a bizarre storage problem, where it kept compounding on itself whenever I tried to transfer apps to a microSD card.
-- The adoptable storage feature doesn't work any more for me (I bought a blazing fast card and won't risk another $30 on another one).
-- It does get warm, but someone mentioned it getting really hot running Waze and tethering at the same time. Sorry, every phone is going to get hot doing that.
-- I still wish the battery life was better. 3,000mAh is not enough for this phone.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought the MZF yesterday. I don't really care for the form factor, but it's so much faster and its memory management is so much better. Of course, it's brand new. Battery life early on far exceeds the MXPE. But it doesn't have its charm. Overall I prefer the AMOLED screen also. Sound isn't as good, one speaker versus two.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
This article appears to be just a fluff piece, or the authors opinions... there are no references or links to backup any of this information.

That being said, will this device get Nougat? Probably... although don't expect it in a hurry, but hopefully before the end of the year. Then again, in the last year or so Lenovo's track record on updates is pretty poor, they promised Lollipop and Marshmallow on several device then later retracted that and said it wasn't possible (which we know was a blatant lie), so they may decide it is easier to abandon the device and try to sell you something new.

I agree with you on all points. I bought my MXPE 64gb in March of this year to replace my Nexus 6 64gb. Got it at the time for $150 off regular price. I liked everything about the phone except the lack of security updates. Since updates are extremely important to me, I took advantage of Amazon Prime Day (July 12th) and got a Nexus 6p 128GB for $475. I think I will sell the MXPE. I still think it provides the best bang for the buck, and if it was consistent with security updates, I would keep it until Android O or Android P (whenever the updates ceased).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My MXPE is being moved to back up. The device rocks as long as an app is not GPU heavy. The combo of LCD and 808 drains the device fast then. Going to the Note 7, especially testing the ability to scale down to 1080p for apps. That will help battery drain and heat for GPU heavy apps a lot. 1440p is resource wasting IMO on a 5.7 device. I use 1080p res on my 15.6 laptop for gaming.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was going to get note 7. But I can't deal with TouchWiz or curved screen. This phone is still smooth and fast

The curve is not as pronounced as the Edge. About half or less. Touch Wiz actually has some good stuff in it this time and does not seem an issue. Finally.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I keep my MXPE as a backup and I use it daily for listening to my podcasts (including AC of course) because of the 2 front facing speakers. It's also great for reading and games. But the phone I carry is my Galaxy S6 and around the end of this year I'll be all about a Note 7, unless something else extremely compelling diverts me. But I think Lenova has done a bang up great job with the new Moto X.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My MXPE's battery has been going nuts again. After around 10 days of good solid battery it chose today for whatever reason to get real warm doing the simplest thing. Camera and flashlight also both stop functioning whenever it chooses, only a reboot fixes. Going to be giving it a rest soon and demote it to backup status. In a few days I have an HTC 10 arriving. Same size battery, but hoping for better luck with it. Had many HTC's in the past. Hoping this one won't disappoint. Thought about the Z, but decided not to go Lenovo for now.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm another one that will be moving on. Pre-ordered the Note 7 and should have it sometime this week. I've used nothing but Moto android phones. I've had 6 of them over the last 4-5 years so Samsung will be quite a change for me. Maybe I'll hate it, but I'll find out soon enough. I just don't like the direction Moto is going with updates and the Z line. The mods do nothing for me. Figured it was time for a change and to try something new.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I love my XPE still. I can't imagine switching to a phone that I can't twist to open camera or wave my hand over to see notifications.
I'm keeping it til it dies.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
With the price down so low, I just picked one up. Out of contract with VZW, not sure if staying or going, so this device at least gives me options...and I am loving not having the VZW bloat on it.