Any way to force a security patch update?

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine is still on the May security patch, I see there's now a November Android patch so that means I'm 2 behind at least. I try doing the phone update about once a week and it tells me I'm up to date. Mine is an unlocked version, bought direct from Motorola, on ATT GoPhone.

Is everyone's MXPE on the May update also? Any way to force a security update?

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha... That's funny! May is the latest for this so called "flagship"... So hurry up and wait like the rest of us!

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, May update here as well.

Just bought mine via Best Buy. Running on Verizon.

If I understand what I've read, Motorola decided to release our updates in batches rather than monthly.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Carrier and purchase place is not relevant, retail devices are updated by Moto (Lenovo) directly...

Problem is, Moto has mostly abandoned devices over 6 months or so old. We are told we will get Nougat, I'll believe it when I see it. Moto is a mere shadow of what it was, it's just a name to Lenovo.

And yes, May is the current security patch level we have.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
And we haven't even gotten 6.01. Although I'm kinda glad, I've read plenty about it causing more harm than good 😕 Nougats a deal breaker for me, if we don't get a stable, solid performing version this WILL be my last Android phone 👋

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And we haven't even gotten 6.01. Although I'm kinda glad, I've read plenty about it causing more harm than good ������ Nougats a deal breaker for me, if we don't get a stable, solid performing version this WILL be my last Android phone ������
6.0.1 on Moto devices is stable, it was only implemented "where needed", meaning India and some of Europe... although it is thought the real reason was it exaggerated the phantom scroll/touch issue more than 6.0 so the roll-out was halted.

There are several stable Nougat ROMs, but we already know we won't be getting it officially... As of now anyways, regardless of the petition with nearly 13,700 signatures requesting it.

This goes back to what Lenovo has done to Moto, they bought the company for the brand name and recognition, and other than that they have just sucked it dry and destroyed it. These (Moto G3 and MXPE) are my last Moto phones.

(EDIT: Sorry I thought I was in the Moto G 3rd Gen section)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My MXPE (US-Verizon) has Nov 1, 2015, for the Security Patch.
MXPE is an unlocked device, it wasn't sold by carriers to my knowledge, so all updates come directly from Moto... the current release is a May 1, 2016, security update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161202-180727.jpg
    Screenshot_20161202-180727.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 26

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
MXPE is an unlocked device, it wasn't sold by carriers to my knowledge, so all updates come directly from Moto... the current release is a May 1, 2016, security update.

Actually - it's usually the OEM that actually hosts and pushes the update regardless if it's a carrier phone or not. While the update won't come from a carrier, approval can come from a carrier.

For example, Motorola still submits the Moto X Pure Edition and it's updates to Verizon for testing. This is why some updates can be delayed if you have a certain carrier SIM in the phone.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually - it's usually the OEM that actually hosts and pushes the update regardless if it's a carrier phone or not. While the update won't come from a carrier, approval can come from a carrier.

For example, Motorola still submits the Moto X Pure Edition and it's updates to Verizon for testing. This is why some updates can be delayed if you have a certain carrier SIM in the phone.

I'm not surprised by Verizon wanting to maintain as much control as possible, even if the hardware did not originate with VZW.

I am puzzled at the difference in arrival time, of the security patch, within the same service provider.