Moto X Pure Nougat Arrived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't see it yet but wondering since it is an unlocked, carrier free phone if the typical forced installs will eventually happen. I have "N" on another device and it's fine but a lot of people wish they had not had to update. So might want to make sure you want it before pushing that button.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't see it yet but wondering since it is an unlocked, carrier free phone if the typical forced installs will eventually happen. I have "N" on another device and it's fine but a lot of people wish they had not had to update. So might want to make sure you want it before pushing that button.
A big Amen to that ;-)
For folks information it will only update automatically if your phone is on and charging while connected to a Wi-Fi network.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
A big Amen to that ;-)
For folks information it will only update automatically if your phone is on and charging while connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Actually, it WON"T update automatically...

It will prompt you that an update is available, then you must select the "I'm In" button and the upgrade will download in the background when on WiFi... This update is 1.2GB and there is no option to download on mobile data, it must be on WiFi. After the download is completed, there will be a message that the update is ready to apply and the usually warning that it will be unavailable, no 911, etc, for quite a while, after you accept the terms then the phone will reboot and apply the updates.

If you do not select the "I'm In" button, it will wait (I believe 3 or 5 days the first time) before it prompts you again, I think even a manual check will "fail" during this windows but I don't remember for sure, then every 24 hours after that it will remind you of an update.

Moto devices do not force you to take an update, or do it unattended. But it will annoy you into taking it. :)

The other question asked once in a while is "What will happen if I don't have 1.2GB of space available?" and actually it needs a little more than that, I don't think anyone has said for certain but there is this comment on Lenovo's forums. But it seems there is some space reserved that is released after the final major OS upgrade.

Lenovo Moto X Pure/Style Support Forums said:
04-28-2016 04:31 PM
The various system partitions have free space allocated so that OTA updates don't fail and to store system cache related data (for /cache).

On my 64GB, /cache has around 800MB allocated, and /system has 1.2GB free. Usually the last support OTA will reduce these partition sizes, as another major OS upgrade isn't planned.
- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X...-taking-up-Internal-Memory-space/td-p/3316742

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it WON"T update automatically...

It will prompt you that an update is available, then you must select the "I'm In" button and the upgrade will download in the background when on WiFi... This update is 1.2GB and there is no option to download on mobile data, it must be on WiFi. After the download is completed, there will be a message that the update is ready to apply and the usually warning that it will be unavailable, no 911, etc, for quite a while, after you accept the terms then the phone will reboot and apply the updates.

If you do not select the "I'm In" button, it will wait (I believe 3 or 5 days the first time) before it prompts you again, I think even a manual check will "fail" during this windows but I don't remember for sure, then every 24 hours after that it will remind you of an update.

Moto devices do not force you to take an update, or do it unattended. But it will annoy you into taking it. :)

The other question asked once in a while is "What will happen if I don't have 1.2GB of space available?" and actually it needs a little more than that, I don't think anyone has said for certain but there is this comment on Lenovo's forums. But it seems there is some space reserved that is released after the final major OS upgrade.

Yep, you are right about the update process. First it will inform you that an update is available then you have to agree to download it and then agree again to install it. And the device have to be connected to Wi-Fi to download it and the battery over 50% charged to install it.
The update I got was a little bit over 800MB.

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Jojesa
How's your battery on N?
During the day time, I do not see a difference.
During the night (Doze) Nougat uses more than double what Marshmallow was using.
Android M was using around 4% and now it uses 8-10
Last night usage (12am - 7am)
Screen 2%
Android OS 2%
Phone idle 2%
Google Services 2%
Sometimes one or two of these will use up to 3%, but previously these were using 1% only.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, you are right about the update process. First it will inform you that an update is available then you have to agree to download it and then agree again to install it. And the device have to be connected to Wi-Fi to download it and the battery over 50% charged to install it.
The update I got was a little bit over 800MB.

Are you certain that wasn't a security update?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
During the night (Doze) Nougat uses more than double what Marshmallow was using.
Screen 2%
Android OS 2%
Phone idle 2%
Google Services 2%
Sometimes one or two of these will use up to 3%, but previously these were using 1% only.
Have you factory reset since getting the update? It is often recommended, but there is one frustrated user on XDA who is part of the soak test and said they cannot perform a reset, no way to accept T&C in the setup wizard and his device has been bricked for 8 days and Moto is not helping.

Not recommending you do this, although normally I would because Nougat doze battery should be much better than Marshmallow, but it could be problematic.

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you factory reset since getting the update? It is often recommended, but there is one frustrated user on XDA who is part of the soak test and said they cannot perform a reset, no way to accept T&C in the setup wizard and his device has been bricked for 8 days and Moto is not helping.

Not recommending you do this, although normally I would because Nougat doze battery should be much better than Marshmallow, but it could be problematic.
Since my device is stable, I do not have plans to mess with it.
That guy at XDA was arguing with me, because I got the Nougat update without joining the soak test.
He was calling me a liar, when I posted that my Moto X Pure got the update.
He was saying it was not possible unless I was in the soak test.
Now I see why he was so upset.
I have been in previous soak test but I was not invited to this one.
Now I think they might have sent the Nougat update to my phone by mistake.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Since my device is stable, I do not have plans to mess with it.
That guy at XDA was arguing with me, because I got the Nougat update without joining the soak test.
He was calling me a liar, when I posted that my Moto X Pure got the update.
He was saying it was not possible unless I was in the soak test.
Now I see why he was so upset.
I have been in previous soak test but I was not invited to this one.
Now I think they might have sent the Nougat update to my phone by mistake.

Yes they did... You have the soak build, not the official OTA....
Just like the other guys told you...

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
But your phone still needs to be on, connected to a wifi network and 60% or more charged to receive the notification..right?
No, not to receive the notification. It will receive it it regardless of the conditions, but it won't download/apply it without those things.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes they did... You have the soak build, not the official OTA....
Just like the other guys told you...
I was involved in two Motorola soak tests with my 1st gen Moto X and the versions I got (Android 4 & 5) were exactly the same as what everybody else eventually got.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It went from 6.0.1 to 7.0 ....so definitely not a security update

The Moto X Pure never got 6.0.1, it only got 6.0. You've been very specific about everything up till now.... that's an interesting slip-up.

Things that make you go hmm lol ;-)

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Screen 2%
Android OS 2%
Phone idle 2%
Google Services 2%

OK, this is disappointing. I do plan a FR when this one gets here, after a couple of days, just because I think it's probably time. Hopefully, it will improve battery..

Why not go ahead and FR for us and see if it improves? :)

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X Pure never got 6.0.1, it only got 6.0. You've been very specific about everything up till now.... that's an interesting slip-up.

Things that make you go hmm lol ;-)

My Moto X Pure received 6.0.1 last year.
I received the 6.0.1 update by performing these steps:
Power Off phone
Remove SIM card
Power On and connect to Wi-Fi
Check for update
Install update and allow to reboot.
Power Off phone
Put SIM card back
Power On.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.