Moto X with Hangouts SMS on Sprint

R3DD3V1L

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I received the Hangouts with SMS integration and use the Hangouts integration my voice mails do not go to the visual voice mail app, they go to Hangouts as a text with a phone number that is not mine to call to listen to the messages but doesn't work. Does anyone know of a way to get the voice mails to go to the visual voice mail app? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted via Motorola Moto X

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you switched to the Sprint/Google Voice integration (possibly inadvertently)

Google Voice

With this integration your voicemails will go to Google Voice instead of to Sprint, and that's why your voicemail app doesn't get the voicemail any more.

Go to voice.google.com and you can disable the integration and/or adjust your settings.

R3DD3V1L

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I was on the phone with Sprint last night, if that was the case wouldn't they be able to see if that was the case? Because when I had the Galaxy Nexus I used Google Voice for the visual voice mail feature as the Nexus could not use the Sprint visual voice mail.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I was on the phone with Sprint last night, if that was the case wouldn't they be able to see if that was the case? Because when I had the Galaxy Nexus I used Google Voice for the visual voice mail feature as the Nexus could not use the Sprint visual voice mail.

I don't know why they wouldn't mention that. Worth trying to take a look at your Google voice settings. Log into voice.google.com pretty sure the voicemail app only works if using carrier voicemail not Google voice for voicemail service. Try disabling the Google voice integration. Or install the google voice app, and you'll see your voicemails transcribed in that app if you keep using the gv integration.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

R3DD3V1L

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I went to voice.google.com and the 2 or 3 voice mails from the last week or so we're not there. Only the one from when I had my Galaxy Nexus.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I went to voice.google.com and the 2 or 3 voice mails from the last week or so we're not there. Only the one from when I had my Galaxy Nexus.

But under the phone section did it show that it was active on your Sprint line?

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why they wouldn't mention that. Worth trying to take a look at your Google voice settings. Log into voice.google.com pretty sure the voicemail app only works if using carrier voicemail not Google voice for voicemail service. Try disabling the Google voice integration. Or install the google voice app, and you'll see your voicemails transcribed in that app if you keep using the gv integration.

I did this and got voice mail to work with exception of the icon in the notification still does not work. I only get a text from Hangouts (along with other /android messages). Odd.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
check this post xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Hangouts default SMS app

I have seen this in several threads.

Here is the crux of the problem:

Sprint sends an SMS to the phone to alert that there is an e-mail. Messaging forwards the message to the Visual Voicemail (and does it's thing with notified on the phone and downloading the message).
When hangouts is enabled, it does not forward and it displays the message which should be hidden and Visual VoicemailM never gets notified. All you get is the text.

Now, how can we fix this? I cannot find any settings to fix this. We may beholden to KitKat update or Sprint doing an OTA to fix it.

R3DD3V1L

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
That sir is the question because I am a big fan of the Hangouts and would like to use it, but saying that I have went back to the original messaging app and everything is back to normal. If there ever is a fix while staying stock I would love to hear about it.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if you used a different messaging service for your voice mails ( different voice mail)?

I did the goggle voice and hangouts. I got rid of voice because of the many notifications I was getting and the delay in calling our answering. From what I remember voice handled voice mail in their server and that 9016 did not appear. When I ditched Voice and left hangouts (meaning Sprint took over voice mail) it came back to the 9016. This issue has been happening for a while now.

Hopefully kit Kat will address this issue since Hangouts is replacing the standard messaging app.

R3DD3V1L

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
That is my fear that with KitKat it will be amplified with non tech minded people not knowing where to turn for answers. (ie my father and coworkers I am the default tech support for)

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I read on another forum that if you user Google voice integrated with Hangouts will provide the voice mail notification.

Apparently Sprint is not the only provider: Docomo in Japan, Virgin and Fido in Canada, Optus in Australia and there are more. It is also reported with the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 asked the last update to Hangouts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89