The woven white back of the Moto X Dev Ed is really ugly :(

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't HATE the DE back.....but I don't particularly like it either. Looking At the photos online I assumed the the woven back was textured, I'm kinda disappointed it isn't.
I think that is a big part of my dislike, too. It is so chintzy looking - a stamped on woven pattern instead of a textured woven back.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm alone. I ended up liking the white back of the dev edition more than I thought I would.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Nope your not alone. It's not ugly to me at all. In fact my wife liked it and she is pretty critical of the way her phone looks. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. I figured I would cover it with a case either way. Turns out I like it and I bought a case with a clear back and blue trim. I've had a few compliments on it.

Sent from my Moto X

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Nah, not really worried. But like you said, if I need to use it I'll just put the old back on. Wasn't really too hard to change.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

What was the process to change the back?

Nevermind. Just saw the previous post.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The woven white back is the same back that all the white non-Moto Maker versions have. You could have seen and felt it and pretty much any carrier store.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The woven white back is the same back that all the white non-Moto Maker versions have. You could have seen and felt it and pretty much any carrier store.
they only had a black moto x on display at my store along with the display having the limited number of colored backs.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
they only had a black moto x on display at my store along with the display having the limited number of colored backs.

One store?

I was able to check out the woven white and all the AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon stores I went to (back when Moto Maker was an AT&T exclusive). Every Target and Best Buy had them too.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
One store?

I was able to check out the woven white and all the AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon stores I went to (back when Moto Maker was an AT&T exclusive). Every Target and Best Buy had them too.
I was under the impression the woven white backs were exclusive to the dev eds, which now I see was an incorrect impression, but nonetheless, that was my impression so I didn't go searching for them. Now I see what is exclusive to the dev eds was a black front in combo with the woven white back with the words dev ed on it.

Again, I would have never thought to go to ATT to check out a Verizon dev ed phone. But even if I had seen it, I wanted a dev ed so I had no choice but to get it. Nothing would have been different other than I would have known ahead of time how ugly and chintzy my phone was going to look when it arrived, lol!

Anyhow, according to Motorola, they make the dev eds to order, so they should be letting people customize them IMO.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So I popped into my Verizon store to double check and sure enough, no woven white backs on display. But they did have the woven black like I remembered. The woven black is so much nicer than the woven white - the woven black is soft touch, the woven white is not. I would have never thought that.

Then I went to a large ATT corporate store as well as a smaller one. NEITHER had a display of the Moto X backs out.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
you can't customize the Dev Eds and you can't unlock the bootloader AND keep your warranty if you buy a customized moto x from motorola.

- - - Updated - - -

good to know!

Don't you think Motorola is going to be able to see that you changed the back and then deny you a warranty claim if you try to make one? I mean, you talk about wanting the warranty, but then are considering doing something that will make it void. Make up your mind.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't you think Motorola is going to be able to see that you changed the back and then deny you a warranty claim if you try to make one? I mean, you talk about wanting the warranty, but then are considering doing something that will make it void. Make up your mind.
Well, if I dealt with Motorola directly, I could put the original back on again. For now, I have slapped a Puregear case on it and I love the case so I am fine.

Currently I have asurion on the device but it turns out on Verizon they won't give you back a dev ed or even a woven white back anyhow. I am not even sure you get back a 32 GB of the Moto X. It is on my list of things to check out. I am probably dropping asurion for this reason, but I liked having the loss/theft/accidental protection.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, if I dealt with Motorola directly, I could put the original back on again. For now, I have slapped a Puregear case on it and I love the case so I am fine.

But that's what I meant. Don't you think Motorola will notice that the back isn't glued on in the same way it was before?

Crooke356

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Other than the wood backs, the Dev edition style is what I always come to on moto maker. I have a black VZW retail version that I got on release day, then bought the Dev edition once stock leveled out. The backs do feel different but it doesn't bother me and I LOVE the woven white. On moto maker, then only thing I might change would be accents. Not sure though... I'm waiting for the other wood backs to come out then I'll buy a moto maker version. Root is all I need. Gravity box and LMT do it for me. I couldn't give up active notifications or touchless controls.

Edit: oh yeah, I just can't get into the white front. Don't like the way they look. That really limits my choices. Even the bamboo. Some of the other wood choices they previewed showed the black top and sides so I think the maple (?) Will look awesome with the black front.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app