Moto X 2014 Is Motorola or Nexxus my answer

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Currently, I have a Note 3 and a Galaxy Gear 2 watch. I decided to switch out the GG for a Moto 360. I wanted to try something other than a Samsung product and besides the GG looks kind of ugly. Things that I noticed with the Moto 360 and the Note 3 was that I could not run the stock messaging app with the Moto 360. I tried to run other apps and liked their features but ran into obstacles. I wound up returning the Moto 360 much to my resistance.

Today, I attempted to use my Google Wallet to purchase items. I discovered that Samsung disabled the Tap to Pay on the Note 3 (this according to Google). I am also hearing that Verizon disabled Google Wallet because they have Softcard installed which cannot be removed .Besides Softcard does not accept my bank so, that is another issue.

At any rate, the more and more I dive into Android and start to tinker with the device, the more and more I discover that my options on my device seem to be limited to the manufacturers of the devices. I do not feel like I have choices on what I can run on my device and to a certain extent I get frustrated by the limitations. I also do not want to constantly tinker and adjust the phone. Having my Galaxy S3 required constant tinkering so, I went to the IPhone 5. I do not mind tinkering every now and then just do not want it to be constant.

With that in mind, would Motorola or Nexus be a better choice or am I trading one thing for another?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is Motorola or Nexxus my answer

Motorola does not disable any stock Android features as far as I know, and this includes Google Wallet. However, as you noticed, some carriers (like Verizon) are not friendly to Google Wallet. That's a problem you're likely to encounter no matter what phone you get if you stick with Verizon. With that in mind, if you're trying to minimize your tinkering, Motorola's phones are probably a better bet than the Nexus series. Don't get me wrong, Nexus phones are generally fantastic, but they are completely stock; the only bells and whistles you get are whatever is provided by Google. So in a sense, they require a fair amount of tinkering to add in functionality that may be included in other phones.

Edit: I just read in another thread that with KitKat (4.4), Google Wallet now works on all carriers including Verizon (with the possible exception of a handful of phones, like the Note 3). Other than that, the above still applies.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think it's always good to try a different OEM once in a while. You might surprise yourself. A little over a year ago, I would have laughed if someone told me I would be using an HTC....

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I think it's always good to try a different OEM once in a while. You might surprise yourself. A little over a year ago, I would have laughed if someone told me I would be using an HTC....

I started with Motorola and then went to IPhone, went to Samsung and back to IPhone and then back to Samsung. I feel that I need to date for awhile before I settle down. The nice thing about the Verizon Edge is that I can date except for the fact that they screwed up my account but, that is a separate issue that will be resolved by the end of this month.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I started with Motorola and then went to IPhone, went to Samsung and back to IPhone and then back to Samsung. I feel that I need to date for awhile before I settle down. The nice thing about the Verizon Edge is that I can date except for the fact that they screwed up my account but, that is a separate issue that will be resolved by the end of this month.

I had the Moto X on Sprint, and when I changed to AT&T, I very seriously considered getting another. I loved the phone that much. But I did want to try something different.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

You will want a Moto X, there are lots of useful things already set up for you. With Nexus devices despite being more popular with consumers, parts of it's reason for existing is as a developing device. It is in fact a phone made for people who like to tinker, root and flash their devices. To get similar features to the Moto X on the Nexus required a lot of third party alternatives and they don't work as well.

On the other hand, Nexus phones have it's own advantages. They are the first to get latest Android version with Motorola coming close second. And Motorola devices tend to have a lot more security in place. Nexus devices offer complete freedom to do anything you want with the software.

Last edited: