Urgent - "CQATest" App Causing HUGE Problems on Moto X! (2nd gen - 2014)

robotics5000

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

A few hours ago, I found that an app called CQATest appeared on my Moto X (Android Marshmallow 6.0) suddenly. I wasn't doing anything to my phone.

The appearance of the app has come with several bugs: the notification drawer doesn't open fully. The home button does not work. Google Now does not work. When booting up the phone/unlocking it, the lock screen is always skipped. All my previous settings/preferences have all been erased. These are just some of the many bugs, and I suspect that the phone has entered into a weird mode. I can't even factory reset (it doesn't allow me, no matter what I do).

How do I revert back to the original "mode" of the phone? This happened really randomly, so I have no idea what's going on...
I am really dependent on my phone, and I hope to find a fix very fast. Any suggestions help!

Thanks so much!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
re: Urgent - "CQATest" App Causing HUGE Problems on Moto X! (2nd gen - 2014)

A few things:
Can you stop or disable CQAtest? I have it on my moto g and it doesn't cause any problems.
Have you tried clearing the cache on your phone via recovery? If not try that. It may stop the issues.
If that doesn't work you will probably have to factory reset the phone, however the new backup service in 6.0 should allow you to restore the phone to how it was prior to the reset.

Posted via the Android Central App

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
A few things:
Can you stop or disable CQAtest? I have it on my moto g and it doesn't cause any problems.
Have you tried clearing the cache on your phone via recovery? If not try that. It may stop the issues.
If that doesn't work you will probably have to factory reset the phone, however the new backup service in 6.0 should allow you to restore the phone to how it was prior to the reset.

What's this new back up service in Marshmallow?

Last edited:

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

CQATest should be a hidden item used for motorola diagnostics. Is it appearing in your app drawer like a normal app? It does not appear in my app drawer but does appear under the app list in the system menu. There are a couple ways to run this app to see the menu. Were you doing anything to your phone like trying to access hidden menus or anything else of the sort?

You can try to get into the app list in the system menu and try disabling it and restarting the phone or try to go into the recovery mode to do a factory reset. Follow these steps:
Press and hold Volume Down and Power for three seconds and then let go
Select Recovery (use Volume Down to scroll and Volume Up to select)
When you see the Android robot lying down, press and hold Power and press and release Volume Up
Select Wipe Data / Factory Reset by navigating with the volume buttons and selecting with the Power button
Select Yes - Delete All User Data
Select Reboot System Now

Good luck

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

I've not used MM apart from 10 minutes on my brothers nexus 7 and a few minutes on a nexus 5x in a store but if I am not mistaken it is an actual backup system which works.

Doug Finlay

May 3, 2016
Visit site
CQATest should be a hidden item used for motorola diagnostics. Is it appearing in your app drawer like a normal app? It does not appear in my app drawer but does appear under the app list in the system menu. There are a couple ways to run this app to see the menu. Were you doing anything to your phone like trying to access hidden menus or anything else of the sort?

You can try to get into the app list in the system menu and try disabling it and restarting the phone or try to go into the recovery mode to do a factory reset. Follow these steps:
Press and hold Volume Down and Power for three seconds and then let go
Select Recovery (use Volume Down to scroll and Volume Up to select)
When you see the Android robot lying down, press and hold Power and press and release Volume Up
Select Wipe Data / Factory Reset by navigating with the volume buttons and selecting with the Power button
Select Yes - Delete All User Data
Select Reboot System Now

Good luck

I have had the same marshmallow issues and you CANNOT system reset in the usual ways. It does not highlight the reset button and system recovery does not work either. I had to go into my tablet and via the android remote app I reset to factory and started my Moto G gen 2 afresh.

I had this. The app is fine, it's marshmallow that is the issue. You'll have to go into another device you have and remotely reset your gen 2 like I did via the Google remote app.

Last edited by a moderator:

123456alphi123456

May 18, 2016
Visit site

Hi,

A few hours ago, I found that an app called CQATest appeared on my Moto X (Android Marshmallow 6.0) suddenly. I wasn't doing anything to my phone.

The appearance of the app has come with several bugs: the notification drawer doesn't open fully. The home button does not work. Google Now does not work. When booting up the phone/unlocking it, the lock screen is always skipped. All my previous settings/preferences have all been erased. These are just some of the many bugs, and I suspect that the phone has entered into a weird mode. I can't even factory reset (it doesn't allow me, no matter what I do).

How do I revert back to the original "mode" of the phone? This happened really randomly, so I have no idea what's going on...
I am really dependent on my phone, and I hope to find a fix very fast. Any suggestions help!

Thanks so much!

Hi

Word to word this exact thing happened to me. Have you solved it? If so could you tell me what you did!

Thanls

itbedave

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to report that following the Marshmallow update to my Droid Turbo 2 a few weeks ago, my phone had become noticeable unstable and laggy. It was non responsive sometimes, rebooted itself several times a day, tapping notifications would take forever to launch the app to respond...etc. I did some Googling to see if others were having similar issues, and found this thread. I immediately found and disabled CQATest. Guess what? I got my phone back! No more lag or instability!

So I really DO believe it's not Marshmallow but this app causing an issue. I'll monitor to see if it tries to re-enable itself over the next few days. Hope this helps others!

Thijs Enden

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

Hi all, I had the exact same problem, but for me it helped to just remove the simcard en put it back in again... Now I don't seem to have any problems anymore!

Pookeylynne88

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to report that following the Marshmallow update to my Droid Turbo 2 a few weeks ago, my phone had become noticeable unstable and laggy. It was non responsive sometimes, rebooted itself several times a day, tapping notifications would take forever to launch the app to respond...etc. I did some Googling to see if others were having similar issues, and found this thread. I immediately found and disabled CQATest. Guess what? I got my phone back! No more lag or instability!

So I really DO believe it's not Marshmallow but this app causing an issue. I'll monitor to see if it tries to re-enable itself over the next few days. Hope this helps others!

Ive had similar problems, cant factory reset, sertings changing, some apps greyed out and cant change, notifications and emails i never recieve, options and notifications deleted, apps being downloaded, messages not going, or going elsewhere... I have a G7 power brand new (well 2nd ine now) & its making me insane. I thought for sure the upgrade wohld help and give me my phone back but it has nit! Please help idk what to do

mtnblueskiess

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
The fact they sent us to this page. Instead of responsibly fixing problem. Answers your question. Reason for problem: update forces you to buy new phone. 5 phones in less than 2 years. Works perfect. Until update. Tech won ct case. For themselves about this. Because techs did comp dirty work.

We were left behind

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The companies are not conspiring to wreck your phone just so you buy a new one. Period. You've had a number of responses to your concerns in other threads.

anon(10698581)

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Ive had similar problems, cant factory reset, sertings changing, some apps greyed out and..............

i had this app appear after messing about in the bootloader. anyhow, it disappeared after i enabled developer options, had a quick scan to see if it was enabled in there but couldn't find anything so I disabled dev options again and the app was gone, obviously it is still there hidden away deep in the system, but at least I can't see it now
p. s I got g7 power

Last edited:

imsaurav

Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
This CQATEST App randomly popped up on my phone a few days ago. You can't uninstall it, but you have an option to disable it.
1. Launch Settings
2. Click on Apps
3. On the top right corner, you will find three dots, click on it
4. Select "Show System Apps"
5. Now, scroll down you will find CQATEST App
6. Tap on it and click on Force Stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa