Straight Talk and Moto Z Force?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone using Straight Talk on their Moto Z Force? Is everything working fine?
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine you will need to get Verizon to unlock the device for use on another carrier. It'll work if unlocked; however, you may not be able to take complete advantage of the data speeds may not be fully supported. I checked Straight Talk T-Mobile and some bands are missing. You may need to verify with AT&T's network to see what's supported.

bat1939_KM

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine you will need to get Verizon to unlock the device for use on another carrier. It'll work if unlocked; however, you may not be able to take complete advantage of the data speeds may not be fully supported. I checked Straight Talk T-Mobile and some bands are missing. You may need to verify with AT&T's network to see what's supported.

Well Straight Talk also uses Verizon towers and I am currently using a Droid Maxx that is not unlocked and it works fine. Yes I think the speeds are a little slower. I am pretty sure it should work but I just wanted to see if anyone else is doing it.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I know the Droid Maxx was never a carrier locked phone, in spite of being a carrier exclusive model. I would imagine the same is likely true for the Zf, so it's more a question of compatible radios and what settings have to be set to make it work.

tylergarey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello

YES! I am currently using the Moto Z Droid Force with Straight Talk, Verizon sim Bring-Your-Own-Phone (BYOP). It works great. LTE speeds are limited to approx 5Mb/s. Calls, texts, streaming iHeartRadio, watching Netflix all works fine. Also, you will get security updates pushed to your phone. I got an update a few days ago for bug fixes and an android security update. (Software Version: MCL24.246-36. Call audio improvements; Latest Android™ security updates and bug fixes)

Most notably, the Advanced Calling, VoLTE feature will NOT work. This feature, amongst other things, allows users to make calls and surf the internet or use the internet for that matter. For example if your using your phone as a hotspot for your laptop and someone calls, you will have to drop the internet connection in order to talk on the phone, unless that feature is activated via MyVerizon App. Its possible that other Verizon specific feature won't work, but this is the only one that I was concerned with.

Wifi calling: I haven't tried using this feature. This may be another feature that needs to be activated via MyVerizon App on the phone in order to use it.

To activate you must have a new BYOP sim card from straight talk. You can order the sim from straighttalk.com, walmart.com or go into walmart. I believe if you buy it on the Walmart.com or StraightTalk.com sites you can get the sim for a dollar plus shipping. But if you got into Walmart they bundle the BYOP kit (includes sims for all carriers) but its $15 plus the plan you want ($45 plan or $55 plan). For example, if you want the $45 - 5 GB plan, its $59.99 for activation sim and 30 day plan. (I don't like to wait so I opted for the in-store kit)

Last edited:

bat1939_KM

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello

YES! I am currently using the Moto Z Droid Force with Straight Talk, Verizon sim Bring-Your-Own-Phone (BYOP). It works great. LTE speeds are limited to approx 5Mb/s. Calls, texts, streaming iHeartRadio, watching Netflix all works fine. Also, you will get security updates pushed to your phone. I got an update a few days ago for bug fixes and an android security update. (Software Version: MCL24.246-36. Call audio improvements; Latest Android™ security updates and bug fixes)

Most notably, the Advanced Calling, VoLTE feature will NOT work. This feature, amongst other things, allows users to make calls and surf the internet or use the internet for that matter. For example if your using your phone as a hotspot for your laptop and someone calls, you will have to drop the internet connection in order to talk on the phone, unless that feature is activated via MyVerizon App. Its possible that other Verizon specific feature won't work, but this is the only one that I was concerned with.

Wifi calling: I haven't tried using this feature. This may be another feature that needs to be activated via MyVerizon App on the phone in order to use it.

To activate you must have a new BYOP sim card from straight talk. You can order the sim from straighttalk.com, walmart.com or go into walmart. I believe if you buy it on the Walmart.com or StraightTalk.com sites you can get the sim for a dollar plus shipping. But if you got into Walmart they bundle the BYOP kit (includes sims for all carriers) but its $15 plus the plan you want ($45 plan or $55 plan). For example, if you want the $45 - 5 GB plan, its $59.99 for activation sim and 30 day plan. (I don't like to wait so I opted for the in-store kit)

This is perfect. I am using my Moto Z Force on Straight Talk fine but I need that VoLTE so I am thinking about moving back to Verizon, but just prepaid