Note 7 Refugee thoughts on new Moto Z Force

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Just got a Moto Z Force from Best Buy including the $150 gift card (that I applied towards the device payment plan to minimize my cash outlay for the phone). During the whole N7 fiasco, I was also able to try out the S7 and S7 Edge as well. After playing around with the phone a bit, here are what I think the main Pros/Cons of the Moto Z Force compared to the Note 7.

Pros - Very snappy UI. No lag. Turbo charging is really quick.

Cons - No waterproofing. No wireless charging. Display not as bright in daylight. Lack of case choices. Larger in hand.

Same: Camera is comparable in my eyes, battery life, 256GB capable SD card slot, don't care about lack of headphone jack

The main differences boiled down to Performance vs. feature set. I'm not planning on buying any Moto Mods as well. As I got the Moto Z Force with a $150 discount, it seemed like a fair trade and I will definitely keep it until the Note 8 is released.

Any other opinions from the other refugees?:D

ksefan

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I do know there is tons of cases on Amazon. I really suggest buying the incipio power pack with wireless charging. One of the best investments I did for this phone

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat I'm at a point where I'm trying to find something wrong with this phone to justify the reason I bought the Note 7 over it you **** most of the key features but this phone is such a power house I can't put it down

esf6491

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Just got a Moto Z Force from Best Buy including the $150 gift card (that I applied towards the device payment plan to minimize my cash outlay for the phone). During the whole N7 fiasco, I was also able to try out the S7 and S7 Edge as well. After playing around with the phone a bit, here are what I think the main Pros/Cons of the Moto Z Force compared to the Note 7.

Pros - Very snappy UI. No lag. Turbo charging is really quick.

Cons - No waterproofing. No wireless charging. Display not as bright in daylight. Lack of case choices. Larger in hand.

Same: Camera is comparable in my eyes, battery life, 256GB capable SD card slot, don't care about lack of headphone jack

The main differences boiled down to Performance vs. feature set. I'm not planning on buying any Moto Mods as well. As I got the Moto Z Force with a $150 discount, it seemed like a fair trade and I will definitely keep it until the Note 8 is released.

Any other opinions from the other refugees?:D

I picked up the Moto Z Force yesterday and so far it seems like a good phone.

Pros: in addition to the ones Milt K listed, the fingerprint sensor is super fast! Better than crApple and even the Note 7.

Cons: Not as feature rich as the Note 7, camera doesn't focus quite as fast

Still on the fence about the lack of headphone jack. I did pick up the JBL speaker mod since I was refunded the cost for the Note 7 cases I purchased and I was in the market for a new bluetooth speaker anyway

I promised myself that I would give it the full 14 days to evaluate before deciding if I will take it back.

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I am also a former noter. Really liking this Moto phone. Cannot find much wrong with it. This cycle will be a nice break from Samsung products. I know its ages old but this device has the feel of my Xoom tablet. By the way still works!

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I moved over after the first battery recall on the Note 7. I've had every Note except the original.

It only took me a couple of days to decide I would not be going back when the Note was re-released. The Z Force is very smooth and fast. I agree it really is a choice between performance and features. For me, I've found that I prefer the performance over the lost features. The only features I've missed so far are all Spen related.

Wireless charging is nice but not really an issue for me. I have the wireless battery mod but don't use it on a daily basis. Waterproofing is nice but not a deal breaker. A quick Amazon search this morning indicates the case choices are not likely to be an issue any longer. Seems like some of the major manufacturers are joining in at this point.

The battery life for me is much better on the Z Force. I got the battery mod and have used it one day to see how I liked it, it's awesome but I'll probably only need it on rare occasions.

I also don't really care about the headphone jack. I use an LG Tone + Bluetooth headset everyday at work and connect Android Auto in my truck.

I was kinda snobbish and thought if you didn't have a Note device we couldn't really have a meaningful conversation about mobile devices. Lol, little did I know. This whole battery issue has opened my eyes, now the next Note will be something I look at, but not the only choice, like it once was. There are so many options I would never consider before, that's all changed now.

Last edited:

dcmarch

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I also loved the note 7 but this phone is amazing. I been out of town so I use the battery pack with moderate use battery mod dead around 6 at night main battery 100% can't ask for much more.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I also loved the note 7 but this phone is amazing. I been out of town so I use the battery pack with moderate use battery mod dead around 6 at night main battery 100% can't ask for much more.
You should use the battery efficiency mode, which keeps it topped at 80 instead of 100. I often still have 30% on the mod when I go to sleep at midnight/1am. It seems to definitely work more efficiently in that mode than it does when you keep it holding the battery at 100.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I too am an ex-Note 7 user who feels like an 8 year old kid who has to give the puppy he just got for his birthday! LOL After a few hours watching all of the YouTube videos on the Moto Z, I decided to give this bad boy a try. As a former Droid Incredible, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr M and Droid Turbo owner, I am certainly familiar with this line of devices from Big Red. And after picking one up earlier this afternoon at Best Buy, I can say with confidence that the Moto Z Force is no exception. The device itself is impressive for all the reasons listed above. And the mods are truly a game-changer and done right.

If I have to complain about anything, it will be the little personalization tricks that Samsung includes in their devices since the SG3. I'm talking about the ability to change the font and themes. I know, it sounds silly. But everytime I felt bored with my Sammy device, a quick switch of the font and the menu colors would instantly give me the impression of a new device in my hand. (Hey, that's just my 2 cents!)

PS: In my opinion, I would have loved to see Lenovo put the shatter-proof screen and better camera on the regular, thinner Z model. The addition of a batter mod or style mod would then bring the phone to the perfect thickness. Thoughts?

Lastly, what future mods might we see from manufacturers that would make this phone even better?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If I have to complain about anything, it will be the little personalization tricks that Samsung includes in their devices since the SG3. I'm talking about the ability to change the font and themes. I know, it sounds silly. But everytime I felt bored with my Sammy device, a quick switch of the font and the menu colors would instantly give me the impression of a new device in my hand. (Hey, that's just my 2 cents!)

You should be able to get most or all of those personalization options through launchers. Takes a little more work to hunt down specific features you miss, but most can be duplicated.

Lastly, what future mods might we see from manufacturers that would make this phone even better?

There's only a couple that have shown evidence of development (but no confirmation that they'll be finished/released):
- OneCompute mod
- Waterproof "adventure mod"

Lots of people are hoping for things like
- style shell with wireless charging (no battery, just wireless charging for the phone itself), or a smaller/thinner battery mod w/wireless charging
- DAC w/headphone jack mod
- better quality version of the camera mod

Unfortunately, if companies are working on mods, they're being very quiet about it.

AGC 1906

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I moved over after the first battery recall on the Note 7. I've had every Note except the original.

It only took me a couple of days to decide I would not be going back when the Note was re-released. The Z Force is very smooth and fast. I agree it really is a choice between performance and features. For me, I've found that I prefer the performance over the lost features. The only features I've missed so far are all Spen related.

Wireless charging is nice but not really an issue for me. I have the wireless battery mod but don't use it on a daily basis. Waterproofing is nice but not a deal breaker. A quick Amazon search this morning indicates the case choices are not likely to be an issue any longer. Seems like some of the major manufacturers are joining in at this point.

The battery life for me is much better on the Z Force. I got the battery mod and have used it one day to see how I liked it, it's awesome but I'll probably only need it on rare occasions.

I also don't really care about the headphone jack. I use an LG Tone + Bluetooth headset everyday at work and connect Android Auto in my truck.

I was kinda snobbish and thought if you didn't have a Note device we couldn't really have a meaningful conversation about mobile devices. Lol, little did I know. This whole battery issue has opened my eyes, now the next Note will be something I look at, but not the only choice, like it once was. There are so many options I would never consider before, that's all changed now.

Love the part about being a snob. I too was that dude... Ordered my Moto Z Friday and expect delivery tomorrow (10/17). I think I've seen every YouTube review and read every blog about this phone. Wanted to make sure I got a device I might keep even after the release of the Note 8. After the handling of this last matter there's no guarantees I'll go back to Samsung especially if this phone meets my needs excellent battery life above-average camera and fast performance particularly web browsing.

Actually getting excited about having this phone in hand! Had been a very loyal Note user but I'm seeing this recent Note debacle as an opportunity to see what else is out there. Going to miss the S pen and not sure what to do with the wireless chargers I have at the house and office lol. Hoping performance outweighs features. Will mess around with the phone for a bit and share my thoughts.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If it's any consolation to folks who have a bunch of wireless charging pads scattered around the house....

a15a0fc795b20243dcf83de135edce13.jpg

AGC 1906

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Is split screen/multi windows capable on the z force? Really enjoyed having that on my previous devices, as much if not more so than the SPen.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yup, if you get the battery mod w/wireless charging, it can charge on its own off the phone.
One thing I noticed is that the battery mod gets warm when it's attached to the Z and wirelessly charging. But when left to charge on its own, it's very cool to the touch.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that the battery mod gets warm when it's attached to the Z and wirelessly charging. But when left to charge on its own, it's very cool to the touch.

I wonder - if you completely charge up your phone, then put the battery mod on & do wireless charging, does it still get warm? I'm thinking the warmth may be from simultaneously adding charge to the battery via wireless and depleting it by charging the phone from the mod...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch