Is WiFi TrulyOff?

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I left my home and went out for about 7 1/2 hours last evening. I turned WiFi off since I was out and about. When I returned home, the battery stats showed WiFi used 5% of the battery and was running the entire time. Does anyone know why this may be the case?

batt2.jpg

batt1.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Location, tap Menu, then Scanning, and make sure Wi-fi Scanning is turned off. (On some phones, it might be called "Improve Accuracy," and it might be in the Settings>Wi-fi​ menu.)

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings>Location, tap Menu, then Scanning, and make sure Wi-fi Scanning is turned off. (On some phones, it might be called "Improve Accuracy," and it might be in the Settings>Wi-fi​ menu.)

Thanks, I will try this. It is a bit different on the Z. There are 3 options in Settings / Location: :
  • High Accuracy
  • Battery Saving
  • Device Only

I will try "Device Only". However, if I turn WiFi off, shouldn't it be "off" in all cases?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I'm talking about something a little deeper. On that screen, tap the Menu button and look for Wi-fi Scanning in either the Advanced menu, or as its own setting.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, the last few Droid phones ignored the wifi scanning entry in settings - they kept the WiFi radio on. I'm sure it's kept on for rapid location services locking (the "a" for "assisted" in "a-GPS" - GPS radios can take some time to lock into three satellites) and better battery life (GPS uses a lot more for location). My guess is that Moto designers decided to keep the radio on for that, and turning the radio "off" merely turns off connecting to access points. (I'm sure that airplane mode turns it off off, though obviously that's not an answer for on the go.)

I suppose you can try toggling WiFi off, then airplane mode on and off, and see if the WiFi radio stays off that way.

See http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-2/645111-wifi-won-t-turn-off.html and http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...58830-wifi-killing-droid-turbo-2-battery.html for issues with the T2 that sound similar to this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty