Constant Camera Problems With Moto Z Force Droid

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes...on both the original and replacement (brand new) phones. You take anything longer than a 1 minute video, it will happen at one point...usually get s choppy before it happens...often happens while taking a photo while making a video.

What resolution video are you taking? If it is high res or 1080p 60fps, what happens if you lower the resolution or frame rate?

(Not that the phone shouldn't be able to handle advertised specs - just wondering if that is a work-around.)

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What resolution video are you taking? If it is high res or 1080p 60fps, what happens if you lower the resolution or frame rate?

(Not that the phone shouldn't be able to handle advertised specs - just wondering if that is a work-around.)

I generally do 1080p and 30FPS...I tried a video that was more than 5 minutes on 60FPS and audio was way out of sync... :(

mohome

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I have this exact same issue while in safe mode, while on and off adoptable storage as well as writing on SD versus internal memory. The issue doesn't happen while using the front camera and haven't seen it happen on other camera apps although I haven't tried one that can shoot photos while recording videos.

Anyone else having this issue besides me and Garak? And any suggestions?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have this exact same issue while in safe mode, while on and off adoptable storage as well as writing on SD versus internal memory. The issue doesn't happen while using the front camera and haven't seen it happen on other camera apps although I haven't tried one that can shoot photos while recording videos.

Anyone else having this issue besides me and Garak? And any suggestions?

Sadly, I've gone back to my Pixel XL due to the inconsistent camera issues I've experienced with the Moto Z Force Droid. I need it to be more reliable... I've been unable to fix them...factor reset...writing to internal storage, SD card, swapped phone. Problem always comes back, especially after heavy camera use. Motorola hasn't updated the camera app in 9 months but not sure an update would help.

I am awaiting the Z-Force 2 and perhaps I'll return. Want more internal storage and a more reliable camera.

Moto Mike 123

Jun 7, 2017
Visit site
I have the same exact condition. I got my phone in February this year and found it to be great. Prior to this phone I had a Motorola Turbo. Which was also great. Now I am having problems with the camera, first it was random errors, but now it quit altogether. I hope we can get a solution to this without having to change it. Are there any news on this? I did try safe mode and it also craps out. I haven't loaded any new apps, so that's not it.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the same exact condition. I got my phone in February this year and found it to be great. Prior to this phone I had a Motorola Turbo. Which was also great. Now I am having problems with the camera, first it was random errors, but now it quit altogether. I hope we can get a solution to this without having to change it. Are there any news on this? I did try safe mode and it also craps out. I haven't loaded any new apps, so that's not it.

I, sadly, moved back to my Pixel XL. I don't know if it is the camera app or the hardware or a combo of it. But the Camera app hasn't been updated in close to a year and the Z Force 2 should be coming out soon.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Mine just started having camera issues lately. Loved this phone until now and this is really bugging me. No new apps installed or anything that I can think of, the camera app is just super sloooow lately with crazy long shutter lag even in full sun. I am also getting the random app crash telling me to start the camera app again. I was at a ballgame today, full sun, trying to take a photo of my kids favorite player and I would get shutter lag like it was pitch black out! Some felt like seconds. Tried pre-focusing and locking that didnt speed it up. I did not try pro mode, I just wanted to get a shot off... I did turn HDR off vs. Auto with no help. Even taking a photo of him completely stationary with the team mascot in full sun was also a long lag. That was just annoying, taking a photo of his favorite player was maddening!

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine just started having camera issues lately. Loved this phone until now and this is really bugging me. No new apps installed or anything that I can think of, the camera app is just super sloooow lately with crazy long shutter lag even in full sun. I am also getting the random app crash telling me to start the camera app again. I was at a ballgame today, full sun, trying to take a photo of my kids favorite player and I would get shutter lag like it was pitch black out! Some felt like seconds. Tried pre-focusing and locking that didnt speed it up. I did not try pro mode, I just wanted to get a shot off... I did turn HDR off vs. Auto with no help. Even taking a photo of him completely stationary with the team mascot in full sun was also a long lag. That was just annoying, taking a photo of his favorite player was maddening!

I'm thinking at this point, the Moto Camera app needs an update. It has been almost a year since the last update. With the success of the Moto G5+ and the Z2's about to appear, it is past time to upgrade the app and perhaps fix these quirls.

I've had to leave my Moto Z and go with the Pixel XL for now. I do miss the mods and better battery life but I need the camera to be reliable.

Justsomeonerandom

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site

I have been having the same issue for a couple of months. I use an SD card, and it has happened on a couple of them, so not the card. Haven't tried anything else (besides the new cards) because I'm not remotely tech savvy. My daughter is getting married at the end of the month, and I was looking into what the problem may be. This all didn't sound hopeful I'm afraid. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

debbie12101

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem with my camera since it came out if the box said camera failed. However worked on my husbands phone. Did factory reset still same problem. Did it under s different Google name it worked, however I didn't use that since all my info is under a name I've had for years. Verizon helped me do updates and did some folder cleaning it worked til the next day. I think it stopped due to apps I had put back in. Guess I'll try to stop camera on all of the apps if it don't work I'll delete apps AGAIN. This is VERY frustrating. They REALLY need to fix this problem. If not I'm returning it which will suck it's a gift from my husband. Any other suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is a fairly old thread. You're saying you still get a Camera error in Safe Mode?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In that case, it's likely a hardware or firmware fault. You could try a factory reset, but if that doesn't help, there's probably not much you can do apart from bringing it to a repair shop (and the cost of repair would probably be more than the phone is worth).