How to disable AppFlash in newest Z Force update

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just got a new update (Dec 1, 2017), which included installing AppFlash. Here is Verizon's description of AppFlash:

AppFlash is a content discovery service, which uses the power of your smartphone to make your life easier by giving you app, movie, music, and restaurant recommendations all in one place.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/support/appflash-faqs/&token=c260NZJS

I'm not personally interested in having Verizon suggest things to me, so I looked into disabling it. It's a little hidden, so I thought I'd share how to do it.

+ Go to Settings (swipe down from the top of the screen, click the gear icon)
+ Tap on Apps
+ Tap the 3dot menu button in the upper right, tap "show system"
+ Scroll down & find the AppFlash app, tap on it
+ Tap Disable

Pretty easy.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got a new update (Dec 1, 2017), which included installing AppFlash. Here is Verizon's description of AppFlash:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/support/appflash-faqs/&token=ZL1vU7Hm

I'm not personally interested in having Verizon suggest things to me, so I looked into disabling it. It's a little hidden, so I thought I'd share how to do it.

+ Go to Settings (swipe down from the top of the screen, click the gear icon)
+ Tap on Apps
+ Tap the 3dot menu button in the upper right, tap "show system"
+ Scroll down & find the AppFlash app, tap on it
+ Tap Disable

Pretty easy.
Thanks for the information. You might also want to check your Systems app for Mobile Services Manager, which is the former DT Ignite. This should also be disabled, as it allows Verizon to install apps on your phone.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I posted the same in other Forums. The Verizon instructions for disabling are incorrect. As soon as I read what it is i disabled it on my Z Force and the wife's Z Play.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. You might also want to check your Systems app for Mobile Services Manager, which is the former DT Ignite. This should also be disabled, as it allows Verizon to install apps on your phone.

Yeah, I disabled DT Ignite long ago, shortly after getting the phone. I just re-checked it, and it's still disabled. That one is worse than this - suggestions are one thing, randomly installing things without my permission is quite a bit worse!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Completely missed DTIgnite's new name. It was enabled when I checked.

Also, kept getting the AppFlash has crashed error at least once a day after disabling it. Going back in and turning off background data for AppFlash seems have to corrected that issue.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Completely missed DTIgnite's new name. It was enabled when I checked.

Also, kept getting the AppFlash has crashed error at least once a day after disabling it. Going back in and turning off background data for AppFlash seems have to corrected that issue.
...still got an AppFlash has crashed error.

88top

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish to thank you all for your work on this issue. I am having the same on my LG V-20 Different names for some of the settings but I think your fix is going to work on the LG as well. Again thanks for the info.l

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
This was all working for me until just recently. Now I get appflash crash notices several times a day. I've done all the above and no recent updates. Don't know what else to disable.

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
From Verizon website . I just did this for App Flash .

Restrict Data Usage by App - Moto Z Play Droid Edition

Caution Some apps depend upon background data (transferring data when not directly in use). Restricting background data may cause those apps to stop functioning unless a Wi-Fi connection is available.

From a Home screen, navigate: Apps icon Apps icon > Settings Settings icon > Data usage (Wireless & networks section).
From the Wi-Fi section, tap Wi-Fi data usage.
Select an app (below the usage graph).
Tap Background data to turn off Switch off.

Note Click here for info on setting data limits and warnings, changing the usage cycle on your device and viewing data usage by app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984