Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Good. So the remaining question is does the mod charge the internal battery or provide direct power to phone?

When the mod is attached, the phone draws its power from the mod battery until it's dead, then it draws from the phone battery. Not sure about charging or if it will also top up the phone battery while attached.

When we get them in our hands we're planning on taking a good look at it all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When the mod is attached, the phone draws its power from the mod battery until it's dead, then it draws from the phone battery. Not sure about charging or if it will also top up the phone battery while attached.

Makes sense with the way they presented the projector, it'll use an hour of it's own power before needing to use the phone's battery.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

It will also be interesting how power is displayed on phone itself. I'm guessing it will read phone 100% (assuming it was full when mod attached) and some app will display mod % separately. I know nobody knows yet. Just find it interesting

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Especially curious about turbo charging on the Z Force, which was listed as 5V @ 6A - which seems to fall outside of the C and USB 3.1 specs, when they could have safely gone 10V @ 3A and had no issues that I can think of. I'd like to know if that listing is correct, if the phone is actually getting that much during deep charging and whether or not it is safe to use a charger that isn't that specific charger on that device.

Oh, and obviously how well the Pro Camera can eliminate the need to have a separate camera.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It will also be interesting how power is displayed on phone itself. I'm guessing it will read phone 100% (assuming it was full when mod attached) and some app will display mod % separately. I know nobody knows yet. Just find it interesting

https://youtu.be/qpMZ2gtnORg

Fast forward to 2:12. Looks like 78% on the Projector and 81% on the phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

In a way, it looks like it's a true battery extender.

Posted via the Android Central App

sarsau

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Two years ago, Motorola publicly promised that all their phones (release after that point) will get at least 2 next Android major OS updates after release and they failed to deliver since. I lost my trust then and promised myself not to buy another Moto. However, I still liked their innovations and producing mid-high ranger phones which can be used in one hand. This year, all the 4 phones they released are 5.5", not to mention that ugly FPS which is positioned too close to the edge with huge bezels. The Moto Zs are even more uglier than the G4 for those mini-bullet holes (I don't know how many sensors they need on the front !). And above everything, the Zs won't be available till September - they could have very well waited another couple months and released them with Android N. Oh and did I mention the ugly huge camera bumps ?
In case you are still wondering, that's a big NO for all the Moto phones released this year. The new Nexus phones can't come soon enough so that I can dump my current Moto.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The battery pack seems to not charge the phone's internal battery.

Yep. That's what I meant.

It seems to stop drawing power from the internal battery when the power pack is connected, drawing it from said pack instead, before switching to the internal battery when it is depleted.

Obviously, it has to be tested first before we can come to a conclusion, but it does look to be like that.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep. That's what I meant.

It seems to stop drawing power from the internal battery when the power pack is connected, drawing it from said pack instead, before switching to the internal battery when it is depleted.

Obviously, it has to be tested first before we can come to a conclusion, but it does look to be like that.

That would be amazing.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
To answer the original question of this thread: I'm not sure. I got a Nexus 6 last year and it's still a decent phone. I may wait a year before changing phones, this one is good enough.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
First off, if you buy accessories at Verizon and you're not getting a big discount, then that's a bad move. Second, hopefully there will be third party sellers. Third, some of these prices aren't that horrible like the speaker for example.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

I hoping the next Nexus phone will be a winner. I'm done with Droid's, once they sell you one you are a forgotten customer. Issues abound and updates are far from ever happening. Moto and Verizon never have time to deal with Droid issues once they've been sold.

Agreed... Motorola was great....Motorola Mobility was good....Google was great with updates.....Lenovo sucks at updates and keeping their word at future updates. After the broke their promise to update, they gave shafted owners 100 dollars off the price of a new Turbo 2 but you had to buy direct.....big deal....no thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

Agreed... Motorola was great....Motorola Mobility was good....Google was great with updates.....Lenovo sucks at updates and keeping their word at future updates. After the broke their promise to update, they gave shafted owners 100 dollars off the price of a new Turbo 2 but you had to buy direct.....big deal....no thanks

I agree with you here. I'm still feeling the burn of my 2014 X not getting updates on VZW. This really makes me hesitate to put myself in that position again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non