Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
More like Moto Zzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe things will pick up soon when release is more widespread. Problem is it's not new anymore. See if things wake up in here soon. Doubtful. The HTC 10 forum has more going on and that was released many months ago.

Moto Z stuff is split into at least four forums here.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's why Motorola should never have given exclusive rights to Verizon to sell first. Motorola would've made a lot more money if both Moto Z's were available Worldwide in the summer.
I can only get the Moto Z from my carrier. I don't know if other 3rd party resellers are picking up the Moto Z. I know Costco isn't because they told me it won't sell well and they only carry popular phones.
I did pre-order the Moto Z and I'm #82. So that gives you an idea of how bad the Moto Z is selling so far.

In the end, I think Motorola will have sold more Moto Zs than third gen Moto Xs.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I got mine yesterday. I had to order through Amazon, though and ask Fed Ex to return the Moto order to Moto (Lenovo) after it sat in custom clearance in China for 5 days with no end in sight. It seems as if Moto really isn't that interested in getting them in people's hands. It is too bad that Lenovo is now in charge.

As for the phone, it seems very good, so far. It is fast, has a great signal (especially wifi -- it blows away every other phone I have had) and the hardware is very solid. It has a great screen, it is comfortable to hold, particularly with the back plate that comes with it, and the fingerprint reader is very good. It is nice to have the Moto lock screen features back. I will continue to use it for a couple of days and report back. I will have to try the camera and see how battery life holds up.

As far as pricing, it is more expensive than the Axon A7, OnePlus 3 and Honor 8, but I have tried all of them and they have serious compromises I did not want to accept, especially with cameras and software. The Z is less expensive than the Pixel XL and once Google Assistant is out and Moto gets Nougat and more frequent security updates to the Z (assuming Lenovo follows through on its promises), there will not be much to warrant choosing the Pixel XL over the Moto Z, in my opinion.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
With yesterday's Google announcement, I think the only Moto Z worth purchasing is the Z Play.

I currently own the Droid Turbo 2.

My DT2 is if anything a little TOO BIG for my liking. And unfortunately all of the Z are even LARGER.

If you don't mind the size (and no headphone jack for some of the Zs) I would only recommend one purchasing a Z if they can get if for a minimum of 25% off the retail price.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With yesterday's Google announcement, I think the only Moto Z worth purchasing is the Z Play.

I currently own the Droid Turbo 2.

My DT2 is if anything a little TOO BIG for my liking. And unfortunately all of the Z are even LARGER.

If you don't mind the size (and no headphone jack for some of the Zs) I would only recommend one purchasing a Z if they can get if for a minimum of 25% off the retail price.

I can't recommend the Moto Z/Moto Z DROID.

I can recommend the Moto Z Play/Moto Z Play DROID and Moto Z Force DROID at their regular pricing.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
For those who only have the choice of Z or Z Play I can thoroughly recommend the Z.

Great screen, feels great in hand, looks great and battery life is beyond satisfactory.

I generally love Google and have followed the Nexus programme since day 1 own g most of them.

So far I'm disappointed by the Pixel. Despite what Google say it still appears to be based on the HTC 10 and I hated that hardware (although the screen will be better on the Pixel).

I'll wait for reviews to come in but so far I'm gearing up to stay with the Z which is the first 9/10 phone I've had in a while.

FFIH GSA 2

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
HAS ANYONE YET TO HAVE THERE MOTO Z FORCE AFTER LESS THAN A WEEK JUST DIE. WONT CHARGE AT ALL JUST DIED. fLAWLESS NO DROPS NO WATER DAMAGE NOTHING IN HARD CASE AND JUST DIE. ANYONE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HAS ANYONE YET TO HAVE THERE MOTO Z FORCE AFTER LESS THAN A WEEK JUST DIE. WONT CHARGE AT ALL JUST DIED. fLAWLESS NO DROPS NO WATER DAMAGE NOTHING IN HARD CASE AND JUST DIE. ANYONE.

I haven't experienced that issue.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

It could be the battery is just bad. The Z force is a fairly "old" device now, with it since being surpassed by the Z2 and now the very soon to be released (today??) Z3. Batteries don't do well if they were stored and discharged. And since you've had yours less than a week, that says 3 possible things:
1: You indeed got it new, but it's been sitting in a box on a shelf somewhere for possibly up to 2 years already. Batteries discharge even if not installed in a device, and they won't do well if they reach 0% and stay there for a while.
2: You got it a used/refurbished model, so the battery may be origional, and well past its peak usage cycles.
3: You're unclear on what model phone, and it's actually a Z2. Which is still about a year old (see #1 ).

If you've purchased it from a retailer, I would take it back for replacement. If you got it used, see if the seller will refund your purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali