03-23-2017 02:38 PM
47 12
tools
    I've been using this phone for a month. And I just started noticing scratches on my camera lens. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? And does anyone knows where to get replacement camera lens?Moto z camera lens scratch-1479540168564.jpg
    11-19-2016 01:22 AM
    I've been using this phone for a month. And I just started noticing scratches on my camera lens. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? And does anyone knows where to get replacement camera lens?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...da036bba89.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1479540168564.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	246350
    Do you keep style shell or case on the phone?
    11-19-2016 09:03 AM
    I've had my phone for around 2 months now and definitely do not have this issue. I always have a style shell or thin TPU case on the device. Even the thin TPU case has a very slightly raised lip around the camera area.

I would think your local phone repair shop could get a replacement.
    11-19-2016 11:08 AM
    The lens is Glass, it shouldn't be scratching THAT easily. That is very worrying, how badly has it affected the pics taken with the camera?
    11-20-2016 02:29 AM
    Mine is scratched up to. I keep a Incipio case on and have the phone in my pocket most of the time with nothing else.
    I bought some dbrand wraps that also have the camera lens cover to help prevent further scratches.
    Could it be a anti reflective coating that is getting scratched up?
    11-29-2016 10:09 AM
    Mine is scratched just like yours. It does (IMO) affect the image quality. It makes shots fuzzy. I too would be interested in how to replace the lens cover.
    12-03-2016 01:29 PM
    I wonder why they don't use synthetic sapphire, mineral glass, or at least Gorilla Glass. Durability matters.
    12-03-2016 05:52 PM
    Those of you that have camera lenses scratched...were they bought early in the product cycle? Wondering if it's something they fixed.
    12-05-2016 02:49 PM
    Those of you that have camera lenses scratched...were they bought early in the product cycle? Wondering if it's something they fixed.
    I bought the unlocked Moto Z Play about 3 weeks ago and after a few days I had scratches all over the camera lens. Had the back that came with the phone on and the phone has either been in my pocket or placed on the table at home. It is a real disappointment that it scratches this easy. I now have the Incipio battery mod on 24/7 to keep the lens away from any surfaces.
    12-05-2016 02:55 PM
    It almost sounds like they didn't use glass at all but some sort of acrylic. Glass, typically, doesn't scratch that easily.
    sleshepic likes this.
    12-05-2016 03:33 PM
    Most likely, I've never seen a modern phone that scratches this easily.
    sleshepic likes this.
    12-05-2016 08:33 PM
    Haven't heard the Force having this issue fwiw.
    12-05-2016 08:49 PM
    Haven't heard the Force having this issue fwiw.
    The Force is to durability what the Play is to battery life - best in class.
    12-05-2016 09:45 PM
    I've had my Z for about a week and a half now and I've started noticing little scratches there too. I've been only using it with the wood and black nylon style shells it came with, and the former is actually slightly thicker so it slightly recesses the camera, but it still seems to have new scratches everyday.

This was just a terrible design decision, to have the lens under such a large, vulnerable surface and then pick a low-quality acrylic instead of sapphire crystal or glass. On top of that, it's nigh on impossible to find little protectors for that bit outside the US. I've ordered a few Dbrand skins just for the camera but I would really just like a clear one.
    12-06-2016 04:59 AM
    Looking to find protectors for the lens area as well. If you find it outside the US, please share. I will do the same if I find any.
    sleshepic likes this.
    12-06-2016 03:44 PM
    The Force is to durability what the Play is to battery life - best in class.
    This really should be the same part though on the Z Force Droid (and the Z Play variants).
    12-06-2016 04:06 PM
    I've had mine for 4 days, I noticed SIGNIFICANT micro scratching after 2 days, very disappointing. I couldn't believe it and started digging for a plastic film cover because of course it couldn't actually be scratched, it was. It was in a Maui Jim glass case in my pocket, just terrible, I've abused my Note 4 for a while and doesn't have a single scratch, wth. Will post pic in a bit if I can
    12-06-2016 05:14 PM
    Bought mine day one.
    12-06-2016 07:00 PM
    Mine scratches pretty easily as well. I noticed some micro scratching on it. Actual screen itself also seems to scratch mine scratches pretty easily as well. I noticed some micro scratching on it. Actual screen itself also seems to scratch more easily then my previous couple of phones. Only had it a couple weeks but I accidentally put it in my pocket with my keys and cetera and I noticed some micro scratches.
    12-07-2016 05:04 PM
    I feel like they either fixed this after the first batch went out or some of you are really hard on phones. One of the two.
    12-07-2016 08:26 PM
    I just got mine from best buy, so it'd have to have sat around then, plus I was so far not at all tough on it. I'm super anal about always having screen protector and case so for first two days I barely used it and kept it in Maui Jim sunglasses case, I'll post pic, it's truly awful and embarassing. I could not believe it happened, and as said, my over year old Note has been abused and has zero.
    12-08-2016 11:50 AM
    So strange. I've had mine in my pocket a ton and not a scratch.
    12-08-2016 04:46 PM
    So strange. I've had mine in my pocket a ton and not a scratch.
    Wait for a few weeks I had mine scratched (though super tiny and can only be seen under direct sunlight) after a month having it.

And YES, this is the ONLY phone I had that is prone to lens scratch. I've had tons of Htc and Moto phones in the past (moto X, X 2nd gen and X play) but never encountered this.

Either you're not anal yourself or you really don't know how to check micro scratches. Either of the two.
    12-12-2016 01:06 PM
    Wait for a few weeks I had mine scratched (though super tiny and can only be seen under direct sunlight) after a month having it.

And YES, this is the ONLY phone I had that is prone to lens scratch. I've had tons of Htc and Moto phones in the past (moto X, X 2nd gen and X play) but never encountered this.

Either you're not anal yourself or you really don't know how to check micro scratches. Either of the two.
    Still nothing. Just checked in sunlight.
    Even dropped it on the floor in the gym today from a pretty big distance and hit a bunch of metal on the way down.

I have a feeling the vast majority of you that have scratches got an early batch of phones before this particular problem was fixed.
    12-13-2016 09:37 AM
    I bought mine just a few months ago so I'm definitely not an early adopter. However, I really do think that it IS Lenovo's fault and not Motorola's. Moto phones may now be using a different type of glass for their lens (as opposed to when they were owned by Google).

I also think these aren't scratches but only the oleophobic coating (hint: HTC One M8).
    You may try to rub off the coating using a plain toothpaste and cotton buds. There are tons of HTC One M8-related youtube vids on how to remove them.
    12-16-2016 01:12 AM
47 12