Will any USB C cable/adapter work?

Nerrrd Tom

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I purchased both MicroUSB to USB C adapters and a USB C cable - I cannot get the phone to charge or sync with either. At best, using the cable my Z would say charging, but after an hour, it was the same battery level as before, if not lower. Am I stuck having to buy an OEM charger? Can I even use portable battery packs?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Were the adapters from a reputable source? Most of the time that's where the fault lies. You should be able to use battery packs because the plug that connects to them is still a standard USB-A port.

heath patrick

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest downloading the Ampere app, which will show you your charging rate. There are some crap cables out there, so I would stick to cables that have solid reviews or are otherwise confirmed to be safe/good.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I purchased both MicroUSB to USB C adapters and a USB C cable - I cannot get the phone to charge or sync with either. At best, using the cable my Z would say charging, but after an hour, it was the same battery level as before, if not lower. Am I stuck having to buy an OEM charger? Can I even use portable battery packs?

What are you using for power?

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When I was getting my Z force at Verizon the store manager mentioned that Verizon sold USB-C cables for the Z. He said that if you use a bad cable and it messes up your phone it may not be covered under warranty. I bought a car charger and an extra wall charger as well as a usb to usb-cable for m y computer. They all work perfectly and support turbo charging. If something happens it will be covered by the carrier. The price was not bad. There ahev been many an article about the bad cables available on Amazon. Cheap China junk.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When I was getting my Z force at Verizon the store manager mentioned that Verizon sold USB-C cables for the Z. He said that if you use a bad cable and it messes up your phone it may not be covered under warranty. I bought a car charger and an extra wall charger as well as a usb to usb-cable for m y computer. They all work perfectly and support turbo charging. If something happens it will be covered by the carrier. The price was not bad. There ahev been many an article about the bad cables available on Amazon. Cheap China junk.

The same language for third-party cables exists for every phone though.

Nerrrd Tom

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
What are you using for power?

I tried connecting to my computer with cable and with adapters. I also tried using my Samsung charger with both the USB C cable and the cable that came with the Samsung charger and the Micro-USB->USB-C adapters. Using the USB C cable at least got the Z to say charging, but it didn't actually increase the charge.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried connecting to my computer with cable and with adapters. I also tried using my Samsung charger with both the USB C cable and the cable that came with the Samsung charger and the Micro-USB->USB-C adapters. Using the USB C cable at least got the Z to say charging, but it didn't actually increase the charge.
Install amperage from the play store. That will tell you at what rate (mah) a power source is charging at.
I've found chargers that go from 500 mah to 5000 mah. I don't think the power coming from a laptop/computer is very high. I might be wrong there though.

TwoBuells

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
When I purchased my Moto Z from Best Buy I bought a Belkin Cable and worked fine. I bought a few little micro USB to USB-c adapters from ebay and the store was from China and I waited 20 days to get them and none of them worked, Seller gave me a full refund. I did find a seller in Texas and they worked great.

TwoBuells

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
yes, no turbo charging but I don't mind, I stream SiriusXM all day at work to my Bose headphones and it keeps my phone charged

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought some Choetech and Techmatte micro USB to USB C connectors off Amazon. Both work really well. I like the Choetech better because they come with a keyring connector. So I have them all over.

I switched from the original Turbo. About 6 months ago I bought a bunch of micro USB cables from monoprice so figured I should use them.

I am hoping in about 6 months to a year USB C-C cables will come down in price. I bought a few Choetech brand and they work great.

ah42

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I also got the Choetech USB C to C from Amazon. I was really happy to see that it triggers the "turbo charging" notification. I've been happy with it so far as a 2nd charger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer