A few days using the Z2 Play

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday was the first day I used the Z2 Play in a low signal area (Verizon) and the standby battery depletion was a bit alarming. Went from 100 to 90 in about 2 hours. I'd sent a couple of texts during that period, otherwise it just sat in my pocket. That concerns me a great deal.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday was the first day I used the Z2 Play in a low signal area (Verizon) and the standby battery depletion was a bit alarming. Went from 100 to 90 in about 2 hours. I'd sent a couple of texts during that period, otherwise it just sat in my pocket. That concerns me a great deal.

That does not sound happy...especially since I wander into extra low service a week at a time.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

So, 5% decrease in battery per hour. I don't know why that would be concerning. It's probably typical for any cell phone in a low signal area that is constantly searching for a signal.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
So, 5% decrease in battery per hour. I don't know why that would be concerning. It's probably typical for any cell phone in a low signal area that is constantly searching for a signal.

Not in my experience it's not. It's a place I frequent regularly. My iPhone has never once dropped from 100 to 90 while idle there. Neither has my Z Force or S8+ (the most recent phones I've used). In fact, I'll be back there later tomorrow and will be sure to check exactly how much it does.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Just the phone, power brick and charging cable. No back. (I had a few backs from the Z Force Droid and they fit perfectly.) The back is aluminum now and not glass, btw.

Thanks! I picked mine up yesterday at Best Buy. Thus far with really less than 24 hours use I'm happy with it.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine for almost 5 full days now. So far I have no major issues. The battery seems to get me (for my typical usage) through the day without topping off.

I did buy the Incipio battery-mod and it seems to work as designed. I have the camera mod on order and should get my JBL speaker mod in a month or so.

So far I'm happy with the performance.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone concerned about the charging port. The phone is so thin that the charger I got from Verizon causes the bottom of the phone to remain off the table when put down. And when i press on the phone while it's laying down the phone will teeter back and forth. Wondering if it'll cause damage to the charge port

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
After more than ten days with this phone I'm loving it. Great battery life and smooth operation. I am so happy to have The Moto notifications back. I don't miss the nexus 5x one bit.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
After more than ten days with this phone I'm loving it. Great battery life and smooth operation. I am so happy to have The Moto notifications back. I don't miss the nexus 5x one bit.

How do you feel about the camera? I feel it's not very sharp in detail. Still playing with it.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel about the camera? I feel it's not very sharp in detail. Still playing with it.
The camera isn't great that's for sure. I've been playing with the settings and haven't found anything yet that makes a noticeable difference. At this point the camera is the only disappointing thing about the z2p, but by no means is it a deal breaker.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera isn't great that's for sure. I've been playing with the settings and haven't found anything yet that makes a noticeable difference. At this point the camera is the only disappointing thing about the z2p, but by no means is it a deal breaker.

The camera is a big deal for me. Even in good light it's so slow.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't live with how poor the camera was, unfortunately. I tried.
Same here. I'm sticking with my S8. I feel it's just a cool idea getting a mid range phone that can check most of the boxes but apparently I'm more of a power user than I realized because I made that Z2 work hard and studder a long a few times.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I owned a Droid Turbo 2 and a Z Play in the past, and low signal areas absolutely ate the battery in those two phones, as good as both their batteries were. Must be a Motorola thing. They get good reception, but obviously by prioritizing signal over battery in those conditions.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're in a low signal area you can always use an app to force it into 3g and that will save battery. I agree that Moto phones work very hard to hold marginal signals, but at the cost of battery life at times.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non