Moto Z4 changes date of photo

lmichlig

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I just got the Moto Z4 and as I move pictures from one folder to another, the date of the picture changes from the date it was taken (or downloaded) to the date I moved it. I've had to go to Google Photos and manually change the date, which is a huge pain.

How do I avoid this in the future? Am I missing a step or a setting? Thank you!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto Z changes date of photo

That's a peculiarity of the file system -- it's reading the date of the file creation as the date of the picture (which is silly, since there should be separate EXIF data with the date the photo was captured).

So are you organizing folders as separate physical directories on the phone or SD storage? What if you just use Google Photos to create virtual albums? One of the benefits of virtual albums is that you can easily include one photo in multiple albums without having to duplicate it.

lmichlig

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Re: Moto Z changes date of photo

Hi! Quick correction - my current phone is the Moto Z4.

Yes - I organize my photos in different folders on my SD card. I use the Google Photos app on my phone, and this was never an issue on my last phone (Moto Z Play). I've tried moving/transferring them using both the app, and also with a file manager. But both methods change the date on the Z4.

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show us a screenshot of a sample photo's details, just so we can see where the date is changing?

Oh, and I moved this from the Z Play forum to the Z4 forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38