Upgrade on on line and switch to another

vlok16

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have read the threads on how to upgrade using one line and then switching it to my unlimited line. My question is what happens to the phone that gets deactivated for the time being? My wife has an S4 and I want to use the upgrade on her line but will she lose anything when I activate the Maxx on her line first? I know I have to activate it on her line to circumvent Verizon's policy but are there any consequences to doing this for her phone? Thanks for the help.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Purchase the phone in her line. Verizon will activate the Droid on her line and deactivate her S4. Once completed you can have Verizon activate her S4 on her line again and then activate the Droid on your line.

I just did this with my dads line and I took the phone. Just be aware some stores won't do this for some dumb reason so play it cool. I was told by Customer Service that since some representatives are anal for no reason just get the phone activated on her line and after the sale mention the switch. Or you could do as I did and get the phone on her line but don't have it activated. Her S4 will be disabled but customer service can do it for you on the phone.

I had issues with stores so I mentioned it.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a family plan with my sister and I just did this to keep unlimited and get a new Ultra. The only problem I ran into was the Verizon rep didn't know what she was doing and my sister didn't have use of her phone for almost an hour. But once she figured it out everything was fine. I didn't even need to have my sister's phone with me for her to do it. As long as your wife knows her phone won't be available for some amount of time everything will be fine, nothing at all was lost.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother doing the switch in store. Get the new phone on the eligible line and leave it at that. Once you leave call customer care and they will do a flip flop on the two lines.

Sent from my Silver HTC ONE fully converted to the Google Play Edition

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Purchase the phone in her line. Verizon will activate the Droid on her line and deactivate her S4. Once completed you can have Verizon activate her S4 on her line again and then activate the Droid on your line.

I just did this with my dads line and I took the phone. Just be aware some stores won't do this for some dumb reason so play it cool. I was told by Customer Service that since some representatives are anal for no reason just get the phone activated on her line and after the sale mention the switch. Or you could do as I did and get the phone on her line but don't have it activated. Her S4 will be disabled but customer service can do it for you on the phone.

I had issues with stores so I mentioned it.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

I'll second that. Don't tell them what you are doing. I ended up having to go to another store because they acted like it couldn't be done at the first one. It's bad enough that they are not as knowledgeable about their products as they should be. There is no reason to pull that crap. If that rep honestly thought what he was telling me was true, he should be fired for his stupidity. I'm pretty sure he didn't believe it. That means he lied to me. Either way it pisses customers off. I won't even go back to that store for accessories anymore. I'll go somewhere else or order online.

Second store, I walked in acted like I wanted to upgrade my second line and told them not to worry about transferring my contacts when he asked. He activated and I left. I had other issues switching it, but a chat session and a call to customer service worked out fine. Just have all of the phones you are switching with you when you want to start transferring them.

vlok16

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Will all of this work if I order online and do the activation via the Web as well? Or do I need to talk to a report on phone to make the switch?

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Will all of this work if I order online and do the activation via the Web as well? Or do I need to talk to a report on phone to make the switch?

It will work online. Only issue I've heard of is the online deactivation/activation did not work for some(technical issue) and they had to get support involved by chat or phone to complete. I purchased my phone in store without telling them what I was going to do. One hour later I deactivated/activated online and it worked fine. You need to know the device ID and SIM card # of each phone, so plan on having them in front of you.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I just did the same thing two days ago. If you go in with yours and your wife's phones and ask nicely they will do it for you but you need to tell them EXACTLY what you want them to do or you may end up getting screwed out of your unlimited data.

Good luck!

rlh_1971

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Something to be aware of: this process burns Sim cards. The Maxx takes a nano, the Samsung takes a micro. The best way to "play it cool": have a day between the transaction and use two different stores. Best story: she does not like the phone as much as she thought she would, so you are going to give it a try. Verizon still does not charge for Sim cards, so that is a positive point for the Big Red.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Something to be aware of: this process burns Sim cards. The Maxx takes a nano, the Samsung takes a micro. The best way to "play it cool": have a day between the transaction and use two different stores. Best story: she does not like the phone as much as she thought she would, so you are going to give it a try. Verizon still does not charge for Sim cards, so that is a positive point for the Big Red.

That's true you can get one from a store. If you don't have one nearby, Do an online transfer and it will tell you one will be mailed to you free. I didn't need one though, tech support was able to reset it, although I was without a phone for about 30 minutes while it reset.

ashmerae

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'll second that. Don't tell them what you are doing. I ended up having to go to another store because they acted like it couldn't be done at the first one. It's bad enough that they are not as knowledgeable about their products as they should be. There is no reason to pull that crap. If that rep honestly thought what he was telling me was true, he should be fired for his stupidity. I'm pretty sure he didn't believe it. That means he lied to me. Either way it pisses customers off. I won't even go back to that store for accessories anymore. I'll go somewhere else or order online.

Second store, I walked in acted like I wanted to upgrade my second line and told them not to worry about transferring my contacts when he asked. He activated and I left. I had other issues switching it, but a chat session and a call to customer service worked out fine. Just have all of the phones you are switching with you when you want to start transferring them.

I asked about doing this (I have a share everything plan) and they said I couldn't because if Verizon detects the ESN was from a different line, but same account, it'll void my unlimited data. Anyone know if this is true? So many different plans, so many names... blah.

ashmerae

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

You're a genius... lol, so using that.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I asked about doing this (I have a share everything plan) and they said I couldn't because if Verizon detects the ESN was from a different line, but same account, it'll void my unlimited data. Anyone know if this is true? So many different plans, so many names... blah.

I did it and my unlimited data is intact.

Beachman50

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It is much easier than that....if you go to your Verizon billing website and check for upgrades is you have multiple lines (family plan) there is actually a spot where you can move an eligible upgrade to another line. I have 4 numbers and do this all the time since the other three numbers are for my kids

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
It is much easier than that....if you go to your Verizon billing website and check for upgrades is you have multiple lines (family plan) there is actually a spot where you can move an eligible upgrade to another line. I have 4 numbers and do this all the time since the other three numbers are for my kids

That's true. I was going to do this on release day, after the store gave me a hard time, and then come back and pick the phone up. Unfortunately they were still on preorder only with no in store pickup option. Otherwise that's what I would have done.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Another option is to go to the store and start talking about the phone. If they seem knowledgeable, then continue. I they seem like they're clueless or start throwing out salesperson BS then go the online route because you'll just be in trouble otherwise.
If they seem knowledgeable about the phone, then just inquire about if the switching is possible. Again if they seem knowledgeable and say its easy to do, then go ahead and do it. If they seem confused or throw out BS then either buy the phone and go home to switch or leave the store and buy elsewhere. If you get the right rep, they can be very helpful. The problem with my rep is that she was new and had never done it before, but she did her best. It took a while but she got it right and I still have unlimited on my line and I have a new Ultra.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
From what I've gathered (and I switched my upgrade to another line) it's much easier than some VZW CSR's make it. When I bought my Maxx on launch day, they told me I needed to get a nano sim with NFC. Unfortunately they didn't have any in store because this is the only phone that has a nano NFC card (iphone has nano but not with nfc). I was told wait 7-10 days and they MIGHT get some in or I could call Verizon myself and order one. After calling EVERY Verizon store in Cincinnati I found out that none of them had the new nano nfc cards because the Maxx came with one in it and they didn't anticipate needing one on launch day. So I called and explained my situation to Verizon, the guy said no problem he'd send me one. Two days later, when FedEx arrived, they delivered two standard sim cards.

A user at androidforums.com in the Droid Maxx Forum explained that he is a Verizon Wireless Customer Service Representative and that any Verizon store that still have computers (rather than iPads) could easily reassign my original nano to my phone number from my son's phone number. I called Verizon Wireless, explained my frustration and the CSR that I spoke to made the change by phone in 15 minutes.

Long story, short point . . . transferring your upgrade is much easier when you know what to expect and what to ask for.

BRye

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of doing something similar to this. My fiance is currently on a separate plan (she happens to have unlimited data as well). If I add her to my account, and purchase the Maxx through her line, will I still be able to transfer the Maxx to my line and re-activate her normal phone? Do any changes take place to her plan by doing this? The only issue I see is she is not eligible for an upgrade until February.

Smtrekkers

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to also activate the phone on one line, and then switch it to another with unlimited data.
If I read the above correctly, I have two choices:
1) Call Verizon and ask them to mail a 2nd nano sim and hope they send the right kind
2) call Verizon and ask them to change existing nano sim to the other line

Does this sound correct?

Btw - The store rep said the sim would 'reset' and allow me to use on a different line if I left it unassigned for 24 hours. I have not tried that yet.