Considering the Maxx

thbrewst

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Getting ready to upgrade and considering the Maxx and the LG G2 (like a few other threads I have seen). My concerns with the Maxx are few, but here they are. Would like to get any thoughts folks may have.

- Screen brightness seems awesome, but like the size of the G2 screen better. In day-to-day use how is the screen quality and size?
- Concerned about the longevity if the way they are using the Dual core processor vs the Quad core. Seems that all the reviews think it is pretty solid, but will it be too slow in 12 months?
- Share others concerns about the camera. This is my work phone, but since I always have it with me I use it to capture 'life'. Would hate to miss things because of a poor camera.
- Seems everyone 'hopes' that because all of the new Motorola products are similar they will get new Android versions quickly, but that is a guess. The Moto X seems where Motorola is putting the majority of their efforts, so could the Maxx get left behind on the update front?

Thanks for any insights you can provide on the above (or anything else I may not be thinking of).

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I did own the g2 and ended up returning it and now going to get the maxx. I liked the g2 but like the look of stock android much better. The ui on the lg is very Samsung like but I didn't care for it much. My brother has the maxx and it seems to be just as smooth as the g2 was. Both great phones either way. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on both but you may want to go to your local store and try them both. Maybe one will jump out at you.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
the dual core vs quad core argument is weak. people say that cause they think if its dual core, the processor must be two years old. in fact, this processor came out in Q3 2013. this is the smoothest and most stable android phone i have ever owned. it will make it through two years without a hitch. this phone has the best user experience i have ever seen on an android phone. moto hit it out of the park with the x8 system.

tpdtopcop

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat as I have the maxx now and want to exchange for the G2 as my 14 days are near. Just something about the G2 that keeps me looking at reviews vs maxx.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
- I would say the G2 technically has a better screen, but day-to-day use, it's a negligible difference. You may be able to determine a winner by looking at both side-by-side, but I would say for most people, either screen would be fine.

- Motorola is dedicated to the DROID lineup and I don't think updates would be a big issue. They supported the RAZR lineup fairly well, IMO. As for processor, one will not age worse than another, I don't think. Graphically, performance is on par if not better than flagships of this year, and with a less bogged down UI (compared to HTC/LG/Sammy), regular CPU performance will be solid. This will kind of come down to what you intend to use the device for.

- As for the camera, hopefully the DROIDs will receive an update to the camera, but as-is, it's like they always say: the best camera is the one you have with you. The quick capture gesture to launch the camera is useful at times, and the performance of the camera is good enough. It's not the greatest camera, but it's sufficient. G2's is better, but again depends on what you want...

---

Both are great devices, with amazing battery life. I do feel like the G2 is more of a media consumption device, vs. the Maxx is a little more casual. But that's probably because I'm a casual user, and there are power users with Maxx's. I would say if you're on your phone a lot doing a lot of stuff, then the G2 might be more for you. But if you use the phone sparingly, basic email/communication, the Maxx is good for that, pretty much just because of the Active Notifications.

You can't really go wrong with either. I say go with the Maxx first and see how it is within the two week period. The G2 is more like other android devices, IMO, but the active notifications are something you may want to "test drive" before making a judgement on it. If you don't care for the Maxx, then return and swap for a G2.

mrstarzan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I went with the G2 after intending to go with the Maxx. What did it for me was going into the store and spending a long time with each phone. I came from a GNex so the Maxx's closer to stock UI really appealed to me as well as the bottom button arrangement. I had assumed that the G2 would be too much like TouchWiz but I was pleasantly surprised that it was more customizable than I realized, including the bottom buttons. Also, I played extensively with the camera app on both devices. The GNex camera was so terrible that I really wanted to make sure I compared the two. The Maxx camera just didn't perform nearly as well in the store as the G2. My son had a Razr M and it took beautiful outdoor pics but I knew indoor shots were going to be more tale-telling.

I really wanted to like the Maxx because of the battery and I hoped the 8x processor would be just as comparable with the Snap 800 of the G2. They probably are, but for a $100 on contract price difference I just couldn't see having older (even if not very old) technology. Then, when I called my Verizon biz rep and found out the the phone discount I'd get made the G2 $99, I was sold. I figured I would try it out for the 14 day period and maybe return it if the battery wasn't all that. Well, I'm only a week into this phone and I have to say that the battery of the Maxx may outlast the G2 but so far the G2 hasn't outlasted my usage needs. Yesterday I unplugged the phone at 6:30am and by 12am last night I had 38% battery left and 6 hours of onscreen time! I don't think the price of the Maxx is worth getting better battery than that, if it even can. I'm sure that if I used it just as a phone/text message/email device I could get 2 days out of it.

I really like the Active Notifications on the Maxx but I already had been using Dynamic Notifications app on my GNex so I knew I could get much the same with it on the G2. Now as for the build quality of the Maxx, it wins hands down. It's a great looking, feeling phone...but again, is it worth $100-200 difference. The G2 is a hideous fingerprint magnet and slippery. I put a thin, textured case on it and solved that problem.

They are both great phones and it's so hard to tell which will get better support from there manufactures. I may have to root/ROM in the future to make the G2 last, but I can't say that wouldn't be the case with the Maxx too. Go play with them in the store. You've got two great phones to choose from.

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to like the Maxx because of the battery and I hoped the 8x processor would be just as comparable with the Snap 800 of the G2. They probably are, but for a $100 on contract price difference I just couldn't see having older (even if not very old) technology. Then, when I called my Verizon biz rep and found out the the phone discount I'd get made the G2 $99, I was sold. I figured I would try it out for the 14 day period and maybe return it if the battery wasn't all that. Well, I'm only a week into this phone and I have to say that the battery of the Maxx may outlast the G2 but so far the G2 hasn't outlasted my usage needs. Yesterday I unplugged the phone at 6:30am and by 12am last night I had 38% battery left and 6 hours of onscreen time! I don't think the price of the Maxx is worth getting better battery than that, if it even can. I'm sure that if I used it just as a phone/text message/email device I could get 2 days out of it.

I really like the Active Notifications on the Maxx but I already had been using Dynamic Notifications app on my GNex so I knew I could get much the same with it on the G2. Now as for the build quality of the Maxx, it wins hands down. It's a great looking, feeling phone...but again, is it worth $100-200 difference. The G2 is a hideous fingerprint magnet and slippery. I put a thin, textured case on it and solved that problem.

Oh yeah, missed that. The $100 difference has to be taken into consideration as well. You can still (I think) trade in eligible Motorola devices for $100 towards the Maxx, but as-is, even if the Maxx has some beneficial features, you they may not be worth $100. You really do get a lot of bang for the buck with the G2...

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Maxx for two weeks. I came from a HTC Thunderbolt that I had since late May 2011. My TB had begun to lag badly, about a month after its ICS update.

I was one of the "lucky" ones who got the subsidized upgrade price and kept my unlimited data, over the weekend of 9/27-9/29.

I had been looking since late winter, and was checking the ruggedized phones, but was disappointed in their specs. I followed this forum after the Maxx release and decided on it mostly due to the battery life.

I made the right decision (for me). I had a situation come up the weekend I got the Maxx that required multiple phone calls over the following days, plus I needed speed and access for using gmail and a popmail account while mobile. I have yet to worry about running out of charge, even after several 14-16 hour days.

I have dropped exactly two calls, one in an urban canyon, and another on a very rural highway as I descended about 250 feet down a hill.

The data speed is much improved over the TB, and no more lag. There are some features I miss (some of the HTC widgets). But there are a bunch that I like. Having good voice command while driving, having text messages read to me, the GPS, the trusted Bluetooth devices maintaining unlock. The "unlinking" of ringer and notification volumes in this Motorola version of Android 4+ (that forced linking was a BIG deal for me, I need notification silent but ringer up at night, and every app I tried with a workaround didn't work right).

I also kind of miss the FM tuner in the TB, but it is less of an issue since I stumbled into the "keep unlimited glitch."

The display is good for me, except in direct sunlight, but I think that is true of almost every display out there. It is better than the Thunderbolt display in every condition I have tried it in.

I know I haven't directly answered most of your questions, but I hope that my response is at least helpful.

Posted via Android Central App

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had both. I bought G2 first day had phone not answering problem(which Verizon fixed with first updated) I switched to Maxx was very happy with both phones and don't think you can go wrong with either. But here are my differences.

G2 loved knock on and camera, screen a little sharper but not as bright. IU was heavy with a lot of bloat but most could be disabled or adjusted. Phone was very quick

Maxx love active notifications and touch less controls. IU almost stock which should be good for updates. Phone feels solid in hand. Camera is weak point. Price is 100 more.

I kept Maxx even thou I could have returned for G2. But was back and forth on which I should choose and I'm still not sure if I made the right decision. Its that close.

Posted via Android Central App

thbrewst

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Awesome info everyone. Many thanks!

Sounds like most who considered both are in a similar boat as me, 'too close to call'. I'm going to head back to Verizon this weekend and check them out in person again to see if one speaks to me more than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez