help installing roms on droid

stfoley23

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
while im aiting for the bionic i wanna try some custom roms on my droid 1.
so i wanna install a gingerbread rom on my droid using rom manager. when i install it im guessing al my apps will be gone, but will they still have all the data on them saved? so when i install them again they'll be ready to go like how i had them setup? or is there a way to have all my apps saved on the new rom when i start it?

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: not rlly right thread, but help please??

wrong forum dude! :) pm a mod to have it moved. I back-up data only, flash the ROM and then install the back-up AFTER the phone boots and restores. Make sure all your apps are updated before flashing and backing up

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Use titanium backup. You can backup the apps and even the data for those apps. Install the rom then use titanium to restore them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

just be careful with TiBu some people have problems with the restore. Make 2 backups of data/apps (one within CW as well) better to be safe

BTW Project Elite is stellar. I highly recommend it. Running it right now

Reactions: stfoley23

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
just be careful with TiBu some people have problems with the restore. Make 2 backups of data/apps (one within CW as well) better to be safe

BTW Project Elite is stellar. I highly recommend it. Running it right now

Yep only restore what you must and re-download most apps from the market. Otherwise you sometimes introduce problems and people are quick to blame them on the rom.

stfoley23

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

alright thanks guys :) im just starting at this so i dunno a lot about it yet haha ROM manager makes it pretty simple though!

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Make a nandroid backup of your current setup and use Titanium backup to back up your apps + data. After you flash your ROM and boot up, use Titanium to restore your apps. I wouldn't recommend restoring apps + data on all your apps because it can cause all sorts of problems. What I usually do is if I absolutely need to restore data on one or two apps I restore them one at a time.

stfoley23

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

for some reason its not working, i back things up alright. i downloaded a rom and selected the settings to wipe everything and back up my current rom. so my phone shuts off, turns back on and nothing happened?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Ill second the project elite comment by CK. 6.5 is a work of art.

Also as he said, dont rely on titanium backup for everything, restoring everything from that is a roll of the dice. I use an app called App list backup. It creates a list of all installed apps. When you restore from it it will show you all the apps and when clicked will bring you right to the market to install it. Real time saver when restoring a phone.

You can also try liquids ROMs. More options but i dont find it as stable as PE. Also you will be reloading the ROM monthly to stay current as he updates frequently.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

for some reason its not working, i back things up alright. i downloaded a rom and selected the settings to wipe everything and back up my current rom. so my phone shuts off, turns back on and nothing happened?

Try just making a backup with ROM manager. Put a few ROMs on the SD card VIA usb and install from SD card via clockwork recovery. Rom manager is nice, but does not work everytime like it should.

stfoley23

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Try just making a backup with ROM manager. Put a few ROMs on the SD card VIA usb and install from SD card via clockwork recovery. Rom manager is nice, but does not work everytime like it should.
Yeah I'm noticing that haha my phone will no longer go into rom mode or whtever you call it though? Even when I try manually it just turns on and starts up

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Did you flash clockwork from Rom manager before trying to install? Just to make sure, your holding X on the real keyboard, Turning the phone on while holding and releasing the x when the M comes up? Should go right into clockwork from there. PM me if you have crazy issues, ill help you if i can.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you flash clockwork from Rom manager before trying to install? Just to make sure, your holding X on the real keyboard, Turning the phone on while holding and releasing the x when the M comes up? Should go right into clockwork from there. PM me if you have crazy issues, ill help you if i can.

I second this. I like to just use clockword mod to do everything and not rom manager which can fail to work sometimes. In clockwork do a nandroid backup of your current rom. That way if something goes wrong you can restore like nothing ever happened. Make sure your rom is in the root directory of your sd card and rename it as "update.zip". Now wipe your cache, wipe data and dalvic cache. Now you execute the update.zip. it will reboot into your new rom.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
reflash 2-3 times. Thats the problem with ROM Mangler. It doesn't always take. Also if there is an option to download a kernel don't foget to do that. Download a LV 800MGZ just to make sure you boot. after your device is set up then you can mess with faster kernels.

May try CW or RZRecovery. They are very reliable for flashing roms. Personally I highly recommend RZRecovery