Camera won't focus, thinking of going to stock to have Droid replaced

jcg878

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Greetings experts,

Within the past few weeks, the ability of my Droid's camera to focus has consistently declined to the point that I can't get it to focus at all anymore. The video camera has the same issue. I've tried obvious things like cleaning the lens and pulling the battery (old BlackBerry habit) to no avail. I have searched and read about software issues that may affect the focusing of the camera.

I having been running the 2.2 "stock" rooted ROM since it came out with no problems but this new one, which I'm thinking might be hardware related. So I am thinking of taking it back to Verizon and asking for a replacement, but I would like to know:

1) What to do to cover my tracks and un-root
2) If there is some other fix for this that is less drastic

Any takers? Thanks in advance.

jcg878

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I would just use rom manager to load the stock 2.2 rom unrooted and do a factory reset

Hmmm, seems logical but it's not letting me do that. When it goes to load into the Clockwork Recovery, the phone reboots but that's it.

Any ideas, anyone?

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Try doing a factory reset first.
Does it not focus when you push on the screen?
Or does it only not focus with the action camera button too?

And just because you have a stock Tom that does not mean you will get away with being "unrooted" at first glance. you need to find a one click root uninataller. Typically they're included either in the thread or in the actual one click root folder.

This is important because if they are looking through your phone and reboot into recovery to wipe data or cache and it takes them to clockwork you'll probably be screwed
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jcg878

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. It doesn't focus with either the screen indicator or physical button.

I re-installed 2.1-update-1 via RSDLite, took it to Verizon, and they are sending me a new phone (I didn't know there were Droid 1's still available). Assuming they'll want the old one back, I figure I'll swap SD cards to remove that evidence. Where can I find one of these one-click root un-installers??

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
When I get home ill find you a link. I just got off school so it wont be too long.

you should definitely save your sd card. One to make sure they don't see any roms and whatever else may have evidence of root, 2 to save all your data (I use my phone to save all my drafting stuff), and 3 just in case they don't send you another card with the new phone

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
heres a couple links:
How to: Unroot the DROID X Using Universal Androot - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Can you unroot the root method for 2.2? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

How do you UnRoot Droid X running official OTA 2.2? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

The first one is probably the easiest. Read through make sure it works, i have an epic so i didnt really read through all. just wanted to read the jist and it seems like it should work.

Second is also semi-easy. all you need is an app called root explorer - you might be able to do it with astro file manager but im not sure. Follow the directions to a T.

Third is if you know how to use ADB.

And here is a link for the SBF file - it's the file Moto has for the Droid x and droid 2 users who first tried to root and ran into the locked bootloader. Some say it should restore to stock but do a little more research if the aforementioned posts did not work
Home