DROID TURBO 2: Call Quality?

brandonpry55

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I've been using my Droid Turbo for about a week and a half and finally had to switch back to my Nexus 6P because of this. Is anybody experiencing bad call quality on the Droid Turbo 2. I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending my unit in for replacement or to do a return.
A little background: I don't use anything on this device that I don't on my 6P. I've used it in multiple different locations ranging from my small home town to multiple different metropolitan areas while I've been traveling. EVERYWHERE I go I've gotten complaints about the call quality on the other end of the phone, I can hear them perfectly fine but I have to repeat something in every single phone call because they can't hear it. Multiple times it's been refereed to as me sounding like I'm underwater.
Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated; I love this device but I lose valuable time having to repeat myself constantly.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Call Quality?

This a tough one, I have not had any issues with the call quality, truthfully it is the best I have ever had when it comes to that, so maybe you have a defect where a replacement would fix it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Okay, so I've been using my Droid Turbo for about a week and a half and finally had to switch back to my Nexus 6P because of this. Is anybody experiencing bad call quality on the Droid Turbo 2. I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending my unit in for replacement or to do a return.
A little background: I don't use anything on this device that I don't on my 6P. I've used it in multiple different locations ranging from my small home town to multiple different metropolitan areas while I've been traveling. EVERYWHERE I go I've gotten complaints about the call quality on the other end of the phone, I can hear them perfectly fine but I have to repeat something in every single phone call because they can't hear it. Multiple times it's been refereed to as me sounding like I'm underwater.
Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated; I love this device but I lose valuable time having to repeat myself constantly.

Do you have advanced calling set up?

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

I just called someone and it was very clear. You might have a defective device. It happens.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Call quality is stellar. The placement of the earpiece speaker is much more natural than the off centered one in the OG Turbo.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The first Turbo had a low volume issue, hopefully that doesn't pop up on 2

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

My call quality on the turbo2 is much better than the turbo.

Glad they re centered the ear speaker too lol

Moto Droid Turbo 2

GADA 50

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

I bought two DT2's and both have terrible call quality, its so frustrating we don't even like talking on the phone anymore

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

I bought two DT2's and both have terrible call quality, its so frustrating we don't even like talking on the phone anymore

It's disheartening that there are so many various experiences.

Turbo II

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site

Hello all and the call quality of the Turbo II is excellent. A home run. I have received many compliments OTA.

Just discovering all of the features of the Turbo II coming from a Droid Bionic (that was still working strong after 4 years by the way) Motorola rules...beware of lurking competitors.

sgm6s

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure if it's the same issues that OP is experiencing, but with my DT2, calls on the handset (not speakerphone or bluetooth) act as if they're half-duplex. For example if I'm talking it cuts out the incoming audio of the person I'm listening to. So if we're both talking at the same time I won't hear what they said. I tested with and without advanced calling, with and without case, same thing. I tested with a number with a pre-recorded message and while the pre-recorded message is going, if I say anything it shuts off the incoming audio. Anyone else experience this? I'm out of the 14 day return policy so not looking forward to fighting with Verizon on this one. :-\

Last edited:

Invader3K

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and my call quality has been great so far. I think it's even a bit better than my Note 3 was.

anon(1731192)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I turned off Advanced Calling because the 4G coverage inside my house is inadequate to maintain it. I'm sure when WiFi calling becomes a Verizon feature, it'll be no problem.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I turned off Advanced Calling because the 4G coverage inside my house is inadequate to maintain it. I'm sure when WiFi calling becomes a Verizon feature, it'll be no problem.

Advanced calling works on WiFi, and it works great on my turbo 2, now when I am out I have access to optimum WiFi and where I live it is everywhere, but when driving in a car I have to shut off WiFi because when it auto connects it is not strong enough for the phone or texts to work.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

A coworker just got a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge and he let me use it, so I placed a call with it it was nowhere clear and loud, compared to the turbo 2,it was a really nice looking phone and the screen looked phenomenal but it just does cut it for practical use, like a phone call.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Advanced calling works on WiFi, and it works great on my turbo 2, now when I am out I have access to optimum WiFi and where I live it is everywhere, but when driving in a car I have to shut off WiFi because when it auto connects it is not strong enough for the phone or texts to work.

The voice calling (HD voice) feature of Advanced calling works only on LTE (in fact, the technology is VoLTE, or Voice over LTE). If you have no LTE, you can call on CDMA as usual, without HD Voice or simultaneous voice and data. You can use WiFi for video calls on Advanced Calling, but video calls have to be started on LTE and then switched to WiFi - that's the only time that you can use WiFi for AC at the moment. Also, calls started on LTE/Advanced Calling cannot hand off to CDMA when you lose LTE coverage, and calls that start on CDMA cannot hand off to Advanced Calling if you get an LTE signal - it stay on CDMA until the call is complete.

All of the information you ever wanted to know about Advanced Calling: Advanced Calling 1.0 for Android Devices FAQs | Verizon Wireless

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

So, Verizon is adding WiFi calling to Advanced Calling - but, rather than starting with their own brand Droid phones, it's starting on the Galaxy S6 series phones. They did the same thing to the Turbo last year - AC didn't come for many weeks after launch.

I don't get Verizon sometimes...

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

This made sound silly but the mic is in the back of the phone so how you hold your phone might be an issue. Also, if you have a case on the phone double check the mic hole is not some how covered up I know it may sound silly but its worth a check. So far I have not had any issues with call quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non