Droid Turbo compared to the new Sony Z3?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've never really considered a Sony phone, but it looks like the new Z3 is a pretty nice phone with what they describe as amazing battery life. I have no clue why but when they tested the battery life they didn't compare it to the Droid Maxx. Despite this they say it has record battery life in their tests. Its 5.2", only 1080 (which might help with the battery) and only has 4.2.2. Any thoughts?

All bow to the new endurance king: Sony Xperia Z3 scores a record battery life for its category

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
On further looking - the back of the Z3 is all glass so its more prone to cracking like iphones. I don't like that the USB charging ports are covered, but I guess that goes with the waterproofness, which I don't really anticipate needing. Ok, I'm back to the Turbo. Still looks like a nice phone though.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
V for Verizon: Hands-on with the Sony Xperia Z3v | Android Central

Z3v Confirmed. Honestly not a bad option. 3200mah battery is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT: apart from the Snapdragon 801 (vs 805) and the 1080p (vs qHD) this phone is more or less the equivalent of the Turbo spec-wise. That screen is supposedly fantastic, and it brings water/dust-resistance and an SD slot. Seriously great looking phone for VZW. Lacks the Moto suite, though... But pricing could be a factor. This might be a harder decision than I previously expected...

Last edited:

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I would have considered the Z3 compact, but if I am getting a phone this size, its going to be the Turbo (if there is no mini)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The Z3v is tempting, but in the end, the Sony doesn't have Moto Voice, Moto Display, etc.. So the X or Turbo it is for me

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The charging port on the bottom is open though as opposed to the z3 that has a cover over it.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the killer for me as Snareman said above is it is running and only has 4.2.2. Any thoughts? I think this would be a long time to Lollypop.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the difference between 4.2 and 4.4 was all that significant was it?
The 4.2 jelly bean to 4.4 kitkat? There were many improvements. Was it as big as 2.3 to 4.0? No but there's no reason you should be behind 2 versions of Android. It's not like they just released 4.4 at this year's io it was released last November. We're not talking 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 to 4.4.4.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never really considered a Sony phone, but it looks like the new Z3 is a pretty nice phone with what they describe as amazing battery life. I have no clue why but when they tested the battery life they didn't compare it to the Droid Maxx. Despite this they say it has record battery life in their tests. Its 5.2", only 1080 (which might help with the battery) and only has 4.2.2. Any thoughts?

4.2.2? Do you just randomly make this stuff up because its not true.

All bow to the new endurance king: Sony Xperia Z3 scores a record battery life for its category

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

You should be a little more hostile with your replies. I'd take them much better. :confused: I thought I read yesterday that it was 4.2.2. If I was wrong I sincerely apologize to you and the entire Android community.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When I saw your post I looked it up and I also read that it was 4.2.2. I have a Samsung Tab2 on VZW and it has never been updated even though the WiFi version was updated quite awhile ago. When I asked VZW how I could get Kit Kat they tried to sell me the Tab S. So I stand by my statement.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
When I saw your post I looked it up and I also read that it was 4.2.2. I have a Samsung Tab2 on VZW and it has never been updated even though the WiFi version was updated quite awhile ago. When I asked VZW how I could get Kit Kat they tried to sell me the Tab S. So I stand by my statement.

Thanks for letting me know my reading skills are intact. The sites we read it on must have updated their info because I can't find it now.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know my reading skills are intact. The sites we read it on must have updated their info because I can't find it now.
Same here but I specifically looked it up so I was sure. Maybe it was a typo. I still say there is a better chance of L on the turbo.