Droid Turbo compared to the new Sony Z3?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Phone oem's are slaves to US carrier whims, esp Verizon. Samsung and HTC went through the same thing, having to make variants for each carrier with different features, diluting their brand image. Once they got some success, they were able to have the same handset on each carrier with its own name, like the S3, HTC One etc.

Sony is new, they have to play this game too, I bet they have almost zero control over the Z3v if Verizon is to carry it.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
After seeing everyone carrying around phones with hideously cracked screens I'll take a phone with less glass on it. That glass back just seems like one more thing to crack and I could see it being a little slippery too. It might also potentially scratch, something I don't fear about with my kevlar back phones. If my phone is in my pocket with my keys I just put the keys against the kevlar side. With the Z3 you don't have that option.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
After having the nexus 4 which was glass on both sides and although it never cracked it always scared me. I'll take less glass any day.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
After having a Maxx for the past year with Always Listening touchless controls I can't see ever not having it, if I have a choice.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
From what I have read there are several expected differences. Depending on what and where you read possible differences include but are not limited to internal storage and camera. If they were identical, Sony/Verizon would probably not be marketing under a Z3v model number. From posts in the Z3 and Z3v forums here, there are differences. Not have seen either phone in person, I don't know. But as we all know if you read it on the internet it has to be true ;)

Do a Google search on Z3 vs Z3v. There several references. Pick the one you trust. Just for the record - not all of them agree on which version is the best phone

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I just read an article saying that the Turbo has a "splash resistant" coating. Does anyone know what this actually means? If this phone has decent water resistance, Im psyched!!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read there are several expected differences. Depending on what and where you read possible differences include but are not limited to internal storage and camera. If they were identical, Sony/Verizon would probably not be marketing under a Z3v model number. From posts in the Z3 and Z3v forums here, there are differences. Not have seen either phone in person, I don't know. But as we all know if you read it on the internet it has to be true ;)

Do a Google search on Z3 vs Z3v. There several references. Pick the one you trust. Just for the record - not all of them agree on which version is the best phone

I'll take all those with a grain of salt. Besides the Verizon having wireless charging and 100mah I doubt there will be any major differences.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I think the sony phone is nice. I love Sony products. Headphones, ps4, etc. But Motorola has *** kicking radios and the phones can handle drops well. I also can't live without the software on my moto x. (Last years model). So for me its moto x 14 or the turbo.
Motomaker +price + style force me to consider the X. But man this turbo is a beast ! I like the Kevlar back too. If its 199 on contract Ill get it. If it's 299 then I'll be getting that dark wood X.

I love Sony but IMO Motorola and their clean android experience just cannot be touched by any other manufacturer.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I keep waffling back and forth deciding which of these two phones to get. I really want the Turbo for the radio quality and non-glass back, but really like the slab-factor and LED notifications of the Z3v. Guess I will need to wait until they are both available to play with in person...

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
i had the same apprehension about the glass back until i saw this drop test of sony z2.. it looks like the glass back is fairly durable.. i might be moving back to verzion in nov and i think i'm leaning towards the z3v now..

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
If you head over to the Z3 forums, one of the AC users that works in a retail store has some hands on pics and comments at this point. So far I've seen thicker than expected and disappointing build quality from them. I am leaning toward the Turbo as my next device - will probably buy two and finally give up unlimited data (gulp).

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm staring down the same gun barrel... don't want to give up my UDP but... I'm not made of money either.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
If you head over to the Z3 forums, one of the AC users that works in a retail store has some hands on pics and comments at this point. So far I've seen thicker than expected and disappointing build quality from them. I am leaning toward the Turbo as my next device - will probably buy two and finally give up unlimited data (gulp).

Which one Z3 or Z3v? There are several reviews which indicate the Verizon Z3v is somewhat of a hybrid of the Sony Z2 and Z3. I guess it is an other one those "buyer be aware" situations.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Which one Z3 or Z3v? There are several reviews which indicate the Verizon Z3v is somewhat of a hybrid of the Sony Z2 and Z3. I guess it is an other one those "buyer be aware" situations.

Considering the last Sony on Verizon, the Sony Play, I'll never be surprised at how much Verizon can screw up a device. That's why I'm jumping on the Turbo, it's almost like someone slipped this past the people who usually approve devices. I can't wait until the day that these carriers are just dumb pipes. A person can dream.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer