Any bets on the Turbo's price?

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget they upped the amount they give you if your on the edge plan. If your on the 8gb and lower data share then u get $15 discount per line that is on edge. And $25 for I believe 10gb or more. I have the 12gb plan with the extra 3gb promotion and that discount basically pays for my s5 on the edge program. Also I thought I read somewhere if you signed before 6-1-14 u keep the initial edge plan so maybe the new 24 months and 75% paid is for new customers?

Thanks for the help. Yes, only new EDGE contracts. And I sure did miss the change to the line credit. Under 10GB users will get to keep an additional $120 (24 x $5) over two years. Very penny counts.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Yes, only new EDGE contracts. And I sure did miss the change to the line credit. Under 10GB users will get to keep an additional $120 (24 x $5) over two years. Very penny counts.

Yep I'm on edge and figure if I even have to pay $200 every 18 months that their edge discount won't cover. I.e say my phone cost $35 a month and I only get a $25 credit I'm still only paying $180 for 18 months which is a little less than I would pay doing the 2 year upgrade route and I'd get an upgrade at 18 months or earlier if I wanted to spend the extra cash. Only a few phones I've seen that are even over $30 per month on edge are the new iPhone 6 and 6 plus and the note I think.

nawadley

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Huh, I swear that when I was looking at the online store recently I saw a phone that didn't list an Edge price. Must be seeing (or not seeing) things. Well, good to know. I've been wanting to get on Edge for a while, and I can't shell out a couple hundred dollars on a new phone at the moment.

For a while, the Motomaker version of the Moto X was only available on 2-year contract or for full price, but recently they've added the EDGE option.

nawadley

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
If you were considering using the Verizon's Edge Plan, be aware that the website indicates some recent changes in the plan. Unless early on set Alzheimer's has started, a week ago or so the plan was full retail split into 20 payments and upgrade available after 60% of the total paid. Now everything on the website is 24 payments and 75% paid.

Yes, that's a recent change I've noticed as well. Less expensive upfront, but basically upgradeable after 18 months if you just make the regular payments. And I think you have to trade in your phone at the end, as opposed to the 2 year contract where you keep the device, unless I'm mistaken.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Edge was a good deal when you could trade in after 12 months or 50% payment of the phone. Now it is not worth doing and "retail price" that they often use for edge is higher then actual retail.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I don't get the point of the Edge plan. Is it just so you can upgrade to a new phone before the 2 years are up?

So let's say, as I believe I read, that the Turbo will be 199 with 2 yr contract, 599 off contract. So I save 400 buying the subsidized phone and taking the 2 yr contract. With Edge I pay the full price of the phone which is 400 extra, I save 15 a month for 24 months on my plan which comes out to 360. So basically it's costing me $40 more total to go with the Edge plan. So is the basic point of the Edge just that I can upgrade my phone earlier if I want?

pdarrah

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't get the point of the Edge plan. Is it just so you can upgrade to a new phone before the 2 years are up?

So let's say, as I believe I read, that the Turbo will be 199 with 2 yr contract, 599 off contract. So I save 400 buying the subsidized phone and taking the 2 yr contract. With Edge I pay the full price of the phone which is 400 extra, I save 15 a month for 24 months on my plan which comes out to 360. So basically it's costing me $40 more total to go with the Edge plan. So is the basic point of the Edge just that I can upgrade my phone earlier if I want?

It seems to only work out well for certain situations. I'm looking at 4 lines, 3 of them smartphones & 10GB of shared data. If I go with Edge, I save $25 per line (because of the 10GB data) and am not paying $200 each upfront for each smartphones. Over the 24 months, I'll pay $25 per smartphone to pay off the $600 price, but then I own the phones and if I go a few more months before I upgrade phones, I'm still saving that $25 per line. We have gone as far as 6 months past our "2 year" date in the past which would actually be decent savings. We're currently 2 months past the end of our last 2 year contract (I would have gone longer if the RAZR M hadn't been totally screwed up by KitKat) and the current plan is to start an Edge deal once the Turbo is available.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems to only work out well for certain situations. I'm looking at 4 lines, 3 of them smartphones & 10GB of shared data. If I go with Edge, I save $25 per line (because of the 10GB data) and am not paying $200 each upfront for each smartphones. Over the 24 months, I'll pay $25 per smartphone to pay off the $600 price, but then I own the phones and if I go a few more months before I upgrade phones, I'm still saving that $25 per line. We have gone as far as 6 months past our "2 year" date in the past which would actually be decent savings. We're currently 2 months past the end of our last 2 year contract (I would have gone longer if the RAZR M hadn't been totally screwed up by KitKat) and the current plan is to start an Edge deal once the Turbo is available.
Ahhh....ok. I thought I read somewhere that once your 24 payments were up, the plan went back to the original price without the discount. I might have misread that. Thanks.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

That is about it.

You are purchasing the right to upgrade after 30 days. If you have paid 75% of the phone (about 450 in your example) + trading in your phone. If you want to keep your phone you can still upgrade but you have to pay 100%. If you plan to upgrade early trading your phone, you might make the plan work for you financially. But over 24 months the EDGE plan works financially only for those customers with data plans earning the $25 line credit. And then not by much.

Verizon is not in business to give you money.
You really have to sit down and do the math for your situation. And then add in the value of the factor of not being under any contract if you just buy the phone. Remember the line credit applies to owned phones not just EDGE plan phones. Only Verizon customers under the standard contracts should be paying full line access charges.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
That is about it.

You are purchasing the right to upgrade after 30 days. If you have paid 75% of the phone (about 450 in your example) + trading in your phone. If you want to keep your phone you can still upgrade but you have to pay 100%. If you plan to upgrade early trading your phone, you might make the plan work for you financially. But over 24 months the EDGE plan works financially only for those customers with data plans earning the $25 line credit. And then not by much.

Verizon is not in business to give you money.
You really have to sit down and do the math for your situation. And then add in the value of the factor of not being under any contract if you just buy the phone. Remember the line credit applies to owned phones not just EDGE plan phones. Only Verizon customers under the standard contracts should be paying full line access charges.

Thanks! Like you said, I can see where it would work out well for someone with multiple lines or 10gb+ data plans where you get the $25 discount. For me I just have a single phone and a 2 gb plan and I don't change phones more than every 2 years so I'll just stick with the regular 2 yr contract.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

You get to keep the phone? I thought I read when Edge first came out that you had to return the hardware? Did they change that? It was an instant turn off, so I haven't paid attention since.

pdarrah

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You get to keep the phone? I thought I read when Edge first came out that you had to return the hardware? Did they change that? It was an instant turn off, so I haven't paid attention since.

Yes, if you have paid it off (100%). If you only pay 75% and upgrade you have to trade it in. I'm guessing it would be better to just pay 100% if you upgrade early and sell it yourself.