Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo First time full-retail buyer - best vendor? In-store... online?

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey, looking for some advice on this. I'm going to purchase this phone full retail to keep my grandfathered UDP and I'm just wondering what the best way to get it would be. My last phone I bought was with a renewed contract but even that I bought through Best Buy.

The only thing I know for sure that a Verizon brick-and-mortar would be the least desirable as they seem to harass and finagle people who are buying a phone without a contract - especially if they're on unlimited data. Also, they only offer a 14-day return window as opposed to BB's 30-day.

So with Verizon out of the equation I don't think there are any physical store options outside of Best Buy - right? I won't be hacking up my micro-SIM to turn it into a nano-SIM so are there any advantages to ordering online or from Motorola's online store as opposed to getting it in Best Buy? If I'm missing any other options let me know.

Thanks in advance!

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: First time full-retail buyer - best vendor? In-store... online?

You can buy using the Best Buy method and get a 2 year contract and keep UDP. Check the Verizon section on this forum for more details.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Hey, looking for some advice on this. I'm going to purchase this phone full retail to keep my grandfathered UDP and I'm just wondering what the best way to get it would be. My last phone I bought was with a renewed contract but even that I bought through Best Buy.

The only thing I know for sure that a Verizon brick-and-mortar would be the least desirable as they seem to harass and finagle people who are buying a phone without a contract - especially if they're on unlimited data. Also, they only offer a 14-day return window as opposed to BB's 30-day.

So with Verizon out of the equation I don't think there are any physical store options outside of Best Buy - right? I won't be hacking up my micro-SIM to turn it into a nano-SIM so are there any advantages to ordering online or from Motorola's online store as opposed to getting it in Best Buy? If I'm missing any other options let me know.

Thanks in advance!

If your interested, and advantage to ordering from Motorola is being able to financed it just like with a best buy credit card. Check out Motorola credit, works just like pay pal.

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

You can buy using the Best Buy method and get a 2 year contract and keep UDP. Check the Verizon section on this forum for more details.

This would involve trimming and filing my SIM card, something I'm not willing to do.

Side note - if I already have extended warranty and insurance on my current smartphone, would adding a new device (without contract renewal) cancel that out or should it stay on there?

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

This would involve trimming and filing my SIM card, something I'm not willing to do.

Side note - if I already have extended warranty and insurance on my current smartphone, would adding a new device (without contract renewal) cancel that out or should it stay on there?

You aren't willing to trim your SIM card to save $400? You do realize that you can get a new SIM card very easily for free from Verizon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

This would involve trimming and filing my SIM card, something I'm not willing to do.?

No, they always come with a sim card. You just activate the new device and its sim to replace the existing device on your account.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that Verizon recently closed that loophole, didn't they?

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that Verizon recently closed that loophole, didn't they?

Nope, still open. They closed a loophole of using someone else's upgrade, but the Best Buy method still works.

Aibo1990

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I'm hoping Amazon puts it up on release. With prime, will get it in 2 days. I have ordered phones in the past from them and I had an issue with the Maxx and they sent me a new one out immediately before sending the other one back.

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

If I were to pay the subsidized price for a Droid Turbo, and mess up my SIM card on my Droid 4 in an attempt to not only trim but also file it down in thickness. How would I get a new SIM from Verizon? The Droid Turbo would COME with it's own nano SIM. Right? The one that, the directions say, if you activate or turn on your phone with you are screwed. So how would that work, exactly? From what I've read this method will only work if you get rid of the new SIM and put your SIM from your old phone in there.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if this is true every where. The Verizon corporate store in my area has lower full retail prices posted than the BB store just across the highway. Not a huge difference but $50 or more is still money in your pocket. BB sales rep told me I should check on line prices because I could probably do better than their full retail on phones. Since I was more window shopping than ready to buy I did not do serious compares.

Since I have not yet purchased a full retail phone [that is about to change], I have no idea what kind of treatment to expect. I kind of figure it will be like my other encounters in the Verizon store, if I get the tall guy who knows his stuff and how to treat customers it will be a breeze. On the other hand, if I get the guy who thinks the X 2014 has a SD card slot so 16GB is not problem but the phone I should buy is iphone 6. Then I might be in serious trouble. The lady I have not figured out except to the extent that she thinks I am kind of dumb. [there are others who might agree].

Price is one factor. You have some other criteria of equal or greater importance to you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

If I were to pay the subsidized price for a Droid Turbo, and mess up my SIM card on my Droid 4 in an attempt to not only trim but also file it down in thickness. How would I get a new SIM from Verizon? The Droid Turbo would COME with it's own nano SIM. Right? The one that, the directions say, if you activate or turn on your phone with you are screwed. So how would that work, exactly? From what I've read this method will only work if you get rid of the new SIM and put your SIM from your old phone in there.

It will come with a nano sim. You won't have to move your old sim, you'll just activate the new sim in place of your old one.

Fred_Garvin

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm switching from a Droid Charge (yeah, I know...) with UDP, out-of-contract and upgrade eligible. Considering outright purchase of the 64GB Turbo, but I'm intrigued by the Best Buy method to upgrade and keep UDP; I've scanned this and some of the other threads and I'm still unclear; do I have to modify and move my old (mini) SIM from the Charge to the Turbo or can I just use the nano-SIM that comes with the Turbo?

Also, does anyone have the Best Buy SKUs for the different Turbo models? Are unsubsidized phone purchases eligible for RewardZone? How about employee pricing on unsubsidized phones (I have a pal that could hook me up on that but I don't know if the discount would be worth it)?

Thanks!

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm switching from a Droid Charge (yeah, I know...) with UDP, out-of-contract and upgrade eligible. Considering outright purchase of the 64GB Turbo, but I'm intrigued by the Best Buy method to upgrade and keep UDP; I've scanned this and some of the other threads and I'm still unclear; do I have to modify and move my old (mini) SIM from the Charge to the Turbo or can I just use the nano-SIM that comes with the Turbo?

Also, does anyone have the Best Buy SKUs for the different Turbo models? Are unsubsidized phone purchases eligible for RewardZone? How about employee pricing on unsubsidized phones (I have a pal that could hook me up on that but I don't know if the discount would be worth it)?

Thanks!

Ignore the post above yours. I've read about this and you CAN NOT simply use the SIM provided. It says even turning on the device w/o first putting in your old SIM will knock you off UDP. Nano SIM (which Turbo uses) is the smallest there is so anything else, regular, micro or mini will require you to cut down and even file down (the width) of the SIM to fit it into this phone. I can't provide the link since I don't have enough posts but just google Android Central Verizon and in that forum you will see a sticky with the details.

kalytn

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I've gone to Best Buy and asked to buy a SIM outright. It cost me $20 but they didn't give me any issues about it.

MGK645

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Just an FYI, I'm not seeing the 64GB model on BB's website at the moment, something to consider if you plan on purchasing it at BB.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

The easiest way is just buying it full price from Verizon, but telling them that it is a gift for someone else and you don't want to activate it right now. This way you can activate it in peace from your home.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer