DROID TURBO: Cases

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I usually stick to Amazon for cases, since they're dirt cheap and actually fit the phone pretty well. I was able to get a really nice TPU jelly case for around $9, but my eye was really on the set of silicone cases for $10. I may go back and order those, as the TPU was an impulse buy since I needed something quickly for my phone

Posted via the Android Central App

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I should get it today. But I have to go to work so we will know tonight.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

There is a guy in this thread that has a Seidio Surface inbound to him. I guess we will know soon enough about the fit but I don't hold out much hope.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/474257-seidio-surface.html

I'm sad to say that the Surface case does not fit the BN Turbo.
I tried mine on the phone last night. It slides on but it is very very tight. The bottom part of the case seems to slide on with no problems its the top that has the issues.
The top doesn't slide down far enough to engage the clip with the lower part. So there is a slight gap between the two. I tried a few times and once I got them to snap together. But it was very tight on the phone. When I pulled it off you could see marks down the side digging into the BN from the top part of the case.
It does seem like it will fit the regular Turbo's fine. It has a really nice feel and I love the belt clip. But I think its going to be sent back. If I could get the top and bottom to snap together I would keep it. The gap is not noticed when they do snap.
:(

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd be perfectly happy with the Spring Clip Holster for the naked Turbo, since I'm carrying mine in a leather belt holster now anyway. I wonder what the chances are that it would fit the BN (even though it's obvious their current efforts are geared specifically to the metal glass versions)? Very tempted to order. I need to check their return policy first I reckon.

donsmith1964

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried mine on the phone last night. It slides on but it is very very tight. The bottom part of the case seems to slide on with no problems its the top that has the issues.
The top doesn't slide down far enough to engage the clip with the lower part. So there is a slight gap between the two. I tried a few times and once I got them to snap together. But it was very tight on the phone. When I pulled it off you could see marks down the side digging into the BN from the top part of the case.
It does seem like it will fit the regular Turbo's fine. It has a really nice feel and I love the belt clip. But I think its going to be sent back. If I could get the top and bottom to snap together I would keep it. The gap is not noticed when they do snap.
That is depressing. I will see how mine fits when I get home. If it doesn't fit which it sounds like it won't, my turbo will stay naked. I tried the incipio but it felt to thick to me.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I suspect that the bare holster would fit fine. I believe the difference in material for the back of the phone would be inconsequential, considering the phone clips in face forward. I may be wrong, but that is my suspicion.

Regarding cases for the BN 64GB, here is my experience:

1. The Tech 21 is slightly too small, although serviceable. Pros: is offers nice protection and is not slick. Cons: I found the case to be too thick and heavy for my taste. I ultimately returned it.

2. The Verizon case and holster combo was my next try. Pros, this is relatively lightweight and almost completely without bulk. Holster works just fine. Cons: It offer no protection for the top and bottom and corners, which I find most likely to be damaged in the event of a fall. I ultimately returned it.

3. The Spek Candy Shell case was a brief honeymoon. Pros, relatively lightweight, good protection. Cons: far too bulky for my taste. The rubber ribs on the back, while "grippy", snag on my pants pockets. I ultimately returned it.

4. Case mate naked tough case is my current case for daily use. Pros: at 1.0 oz, it is the lightest of the case options. It offers good protection, slide in and out of my pocket, and is attractive (subjective, of course.) The case has two parts: a bumper that goes on first, and a clear shell that molds to the bumper. Cons: smooth plastic could prove slippery in certain conditions. It is also expensive. Some might fine the reflective of the clear case to be too "noticeable," and therefore "flashy."

4. Trudia BN black TPU case from Amazon.com. I just bought this case and it is relatively inexpensive. It is soft material with a good grip. It fits well and has all the right cutouts. It is also attractive. Pros: it works well and as advertised. It is lightweight as 1.1 oz, and similar to the naked case. Cons: no too many to mention, frankly. I switch between this one and the case mate clear.

There seem to be more choices available.

I am interested in the Seido case and one of the other TPU cases, whose name I cannot remember.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd be perfectly happy with the Spring Clip Holster for the naked Turbo, since I'm carrying mine in a leather belt holster now anyway. I wonder what the chances are that it would fit the BN (even though it's obvious their current efforts are geared specifically to the metal glass versions)? Very tempted to order. I need to check their return policy first I reckon.

That's a tough call, I don't know for sure but I would have to think that the Spring clip for the naked Turbo would probably fit the BN just fine. The Holster for the surface just comes in contact with the bottom and the sides of the lower part of the surface case.
I think the bulk of the BN that has the issue is in the upper back of the phone. The clip at the top looks like it has lots of give up or down so I don't think that would be an issue.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
That is depressing. I will see how mine fits when I get home. If it doesn't fit which it sounds like it won't, my turbo will stay naked. I tried the incipio but it felt to thick to me.

It was depressing, I really liked the feel of it and the size was just right. The holster was great. I went back to the tech21 and now that feels bigger. But it will do for now.
Let us know how yours fits...
I was almost toying with the idea of taking a dremel tool to the inside of the top to see if I could remove just a little to make it snap together better.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
That's a tough call, I don't know for sure but I would have to think that the Spring clip for the naked Turbo would probably fit the BN just fine. The Holster for the surface just comes in contact with the bottom and the sides of the lower part of the surface case.
I think the bulk of the BN that has the issue is in the upper back of the phone. The clip at the top looks like it has lots of give up or down so I don't think that would be an issue.
Thanks for your insight. I figured there might be some more wiggle-room (literally) for the naked holster clip solution, so I've already ordered it. I figured with the 20 percent discount and free shipping, the worse case scenario is that I'll be out of pocket for return shipping.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have used the G3 Seidio surface holster with a turbo in a silicone case and it fit with just a little room to spare so I think it would work with a BN in a tech 21. I am currently using a G3 Dilex holster with a MGF in a speck Candyshell Grip. I would suggest ordering both, you only risk the cost of return shipping.

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that the bare holster would fit fine. I believe the difference in material for the back of the phone would be inconsequential, considering the phone clips in face forward. I may be wrong, but that is my suspicion.

Regarding cases for the BN 64GB, here is my experience:

1. The Tech 21 is slightly too small, although serviceable. Pros: is offers nice protection and is not slick. Cons: I found the case to be too thick and heavy for my taste. I ultimately returned it.

2. The Verizon case and holster combo was my next try. Pros, this is relatively lightweight and almost completely without bulk. Holster works just fine. Cons: It offer no protection for the top and bottom and corners, which I find most likely to be damaged in the event of a fall. I ultimately returned it.

3. The Spek Candy Shell case was a brief honeymoon. Pros, relatively lightweight, good protection. Cons: far too bulky for my taste. The rubber ribs on the back, while "grippy", snag on my pants pockets. I ultimately returned it.

4. Case mate naked tough case is my current case for daily use. Pros: at 1.0 oz, it is the lightest of the case options. It offers good protection, slide in and out of my pocket, and is attractive (subjective, of course.) The case has two parts: a bumper that goes on first, and a clear shell that molds to the bumper. Cons: smooth plastic could prove slippery in certain conditions. It is also expensive. Some might fine the reflective of the clear case to be too "noticeable," and therefore "flashy."

4. Trudia BN black TPU case from Amazon.com. I just bought this case and it is relatively inexpensive. It is soft material with a good grip. It fits well and has all the right cutouts. It is also attractive. Pros: it works well and as advertised. It is lightweight as 1.1 oz, and similar to the naked case. Cons: no too many to mention, frankly. I switch between this one and the case mate clear.

There seem to be more choices available.

I am interested in the Seido case and one of the other TPU cases, whose name I cannot remember.

It's great to have a summary post. Thanks, dcallan.

Adding to the list...

6) Verizon glossy silicone case. I have the black one, assume the same is true of the purple one. It fits the 64GB BN OK. If anything it is a bit too tight just from a manageability standpoint, but I have had a harder time getting some cases on or off phones for which they were actually made. No big problem. PROS: It's cheap enough in the grand scheme ($19.99 from Vz), offers decent coverage and a slimmer profile. Two colors are nice for variety. CONS: For a silicone case it is a bit thick. Seems sort of like the Speck Candy Shell without the nubby, grippy lines. It's glossy and shows fingerprints more than most matte cases (not as badly as expected though).

7) Verizon Turbo Flip Case (mine is black leather and grey suede). Nice! It better be for the price. As I said yesterday, I'm a sucker for leather, so I appreciate the materials and apparent quality of this case. It fits the BN version *perfectly* and surprisingly feels pretty slim given what it is. Haven't had a lot of time to comment on full functionality, but I did take a pic without opening the cover. Worked fine. PROS: Nice, more luxurious phone case. Would be good for a jacket and tie job, I think. Slimmer than I expected. Variety in colors and materials options. CONS: Pricey. Motion sensors (wave to wake) don't seem to be working with cover closed (not sure if they're supposed to).

Waiting on the Diztronic red for BN version and I'll be set.

cactusleon

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
My fav case which I got on now, the pure gear, it's not dirty, that's the mirror, clear plastic back with a black edge around it, which is a bit softer plastic, case is a bit slick but not too much

Attachments

• 1419362238731.jpg
    1419362238731.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 57

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, to add a couple points to my earlier flip case comments, it is possible to take a picture or answer a call without opening the cover.

It's also, obviously, possible to see the Moto notifications. You can't do anything with them through the window, however (swipe up for a preview for example). To me, that seems to make the Moto Display feature sort of useless with the cover. Sure, I know I got at least one e-mail, a Twitter notification and a text, but I don't know any additional info without opening the cover anyway. It's a step backward toward the generic flashing LED.

Also, the wave to wake feature won't work with the cover, as I mentioned earlier.

Just some added info for those interested in this case. I still like it. It just has some warts.

donsmith1964

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It was depressing, I really liked the feel of it and the size was just right. The holster was great. I went back to the tech21 and now that feels bigger. But it will do for now.
I was almost toying with the idea of taking a dremel tool to the inside of the top to see if I could remove just a little to make it snap together better.
I received my surface case today as well. I have the 64GB ballistic nylon turbo. It is s tight fit but my phone is snug and I love the feel of this case. It takes a shove to get the case closed. It is difficult to get un snapped to take off. But once removed I saw no damage to the nylon.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

To update my issue with the surface case...
I'm happy to say I have changed my mind and plan on keeping it. I really like the feel and I love the holster so I figured since they probably will not make a case just for the BN that I had to make it work. I just went and trimmed a little of the felt out from the inside of the top part of the case. (about a 1/4 inch strip down each side and a little above the camera opening)
Now the fit is much better and I can get the top and bottom to meet and snap together.
Its a keeper for me! :)

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
To update my issue with the surface case...
I'm happy to say I have changed my mind and plan on keeping it. I really like the feel and I love the holster so I figured since they probably will not make a case just for the BN that I had to make it work. I just went and trimmed a little of the felt out from the inside of the top part of the case. (about a 1/4 inch strip down each side and a little above the camera opening)
Now the fit is much better and I can get the top and bottom to meet and snap together.
Its a keeper for me! :)

Probably well worth the work. To those that have never held a phone in the Seidio Surface case, it's probably unlike any other case you've felt. It's smooth yet sure handed all at the same time. Sleek while protective. And the holster has a quick action, easy in, easy out, yet so secure. There's a good reason this case and holster costs as much as it does. Once you've used one you're ruined for any others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty