Does your turbo read your texts while driving?

parkschr1

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has been able to get their turbo to read texts while driving. I think I have it set up correctly. I do use handcent.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
When driving if I get a text it automatically says you've received a text from whoever and asks you and if you would like it to be read to you

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think I recall seeing the same thing in threads from last year's Droid models. I don't recall if it was ever addressed in an update, since I use the stock app.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've tried most of the app, several which will prompt you and also let you respond by voice, though most of those don't work consistently. For just reading them to you, drivesafe.ly works perfect, everytime, but doesn't read the entire message it it's too long - works with Handcent. The paid version lets you respond by voice.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My turbo is tied into my cars Bluetooth. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

if you arent listening to bluetooth music, and your phone is paired, you wont hear the texts because they are being outputted via bluetooth and you are listening to radio or something other than phone. You should still see green turn blue and prompt of you want to respond or listen to the message.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I know the droid maxx is different - it has a separate assist app, rather than having assist be part of the moto app. But there is a setting in the assist app, audio troubleshooting, that allows using something called an alternate audio channel.

When I listen to Bluetooth audio, if I get a text, it interrupts and asks me if I want to listen.

Moto has a support article for the turbo that details this. https://motorola-global-portal.cust...r_detail/a_id/102361/p/30,6720,9277/kw/Assist

One important thing: it only announces texts from people in your address book. That article also lists the alternate channel solution.

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The bluetooth troubleshooting menu is missing from the Turbo. The 2014 phones don't have that anymore. You can tell the help for turbo is wrong because it has an assist app as you mention.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
At first I wasn't sure on moto assist bit I have found it useful since I spend a ton of time in my car. So far it works quit well

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It works with Handcent. I used it while driving this morning. It alerts me to the text and asks me to say listen if I want it to read it to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Most noticeable thing I had to do was have the location set to "high accuracy" to have it work flawlessly... I don't feel much of a battery difference vs battery saver mode

Posted via the Android Central App

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
under bluetooth click on your call, and click on the option to turn off "media". i had the same issue of no voice when connected and this worked for me. if you want to listen to music just turn media back on.