Niggling Complaints About Camera Ergonomics

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to complain about a couple of things regarding using the camera itself.

1. When taking pictures in landscape mode (practically always, for me) the power button is in an awkward place. That place seems to be the natural spot to rest your left index finger while you are framing/taking the shot. I've learned I have to remember to keep my left index finger on the very corner of the phone's body.

2. After taking the photo there is no small gallery window on screen to tap and instantly review the shot. Instead, you have to swipe right-to-left to pull up your last shot. Many, many times I pull up Google Now instead of the picture in the gallery. This means I have to remember to precisely swipe the area between the Android home button and the Recent Apps button to see the pic. An alternative is to rotate the phone into Portrait mode, swipe right-to-left, then reposition in landscape mode, but that is awkward and should be unnecessary.

Otherwise, I'm OK with the camera. It has the usual shortcomings (as all phone cameras) in low light situations and low light with movement but otherwise is a pretty good shooter. Definitely better than my previous Maxx HD and my son's previous Moto X.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hold your phone the other way when you take photos, with the cap buttons to the left and the power button on the bottom. That should solve both the left index finger and the swipe to open gallery problems.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hold your phone the other way when you take photos, with the cap buttons to the left and the power button on the bottom. That should solve both the left index finger and the swipe to open gallery problems.

I'm accustomed to having the buttons on top because with my Maxx HD I had the volume button assigned as the shutter. This is useful in low light conditions because you can hold the phone steadier with both hands and merely release the volume rocker to take the shutter, rather than holding with one hand and tapping the screen. Still, I might give your technique a try out.

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
My problem is that after I take a picture however I am holding it tells the phone it's stowed in a pocket and closes the camera :/

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How do you accomplish this? Any specific app?

This was a feature of the stock camera app on the Maxx HD. It was in the settings menu. Helped a lot with blurry photos in low light. Don't see it on the stock Turbo camera. I don't think it's on Google Camera either (not sure). It is on A Better Camera, which I have installed, and it's on Camera FV-5.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless something is different about the Turbo, the stock Moto camera app will capture a photo when you press either of the volume buttons. The Google camera app will as well. It's not a setting - it just works.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Unless something is different about the Turbo, the stock Moto camera app will capture a photo when you press either of the volume buttons. The Google camera app will as well. It's not a setting - it just works.

Yes, you are correct. Volume button does work as shutter in stock Turbo camera. However, I can't use my trick of having the shutter engage when releasing the volume button as I could with my Maxx HD.

1BlinkGone

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. Volume button does work as shutter in stock Turbo camera. However, I can't use my trick of having the shutter engage when releasing the volume button as I could with my Maxx HD.

My Droid Turbo DOES engage the shutter when releasing the volume button. Works like a charm. BTW, this was with the Google Camera app. Thanks for the tip!

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My Volume Up takes a single shot when held down - Volume Down takes burst mode when held down - 10 shots.

This is a much better way to take a picture than tapping the screen.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My Droid Turbo DOES engage the shutter when releasing the volume button. Works like a charm. BTW, this was with the Google Camera app. Thanks for the tip!

Good to hear. I think it's a great feature and I really miss it. Might be a reason to use Google camera app.