nylon or regular

Jdt0109

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am upgrading in the morning. Do i order the nylon or the regular. Anyone have any input good or bad on either way?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I personally like the nylon myself. I came from a Droid Maxx, and at first was disappointed that the 64GB model didn't come in MGF (more like the soft touch Kevlar on my Maxx), but after seeing it, I now prefer it. I usually keep mine in a case so not much chance of fraying, but I also find it hard to keep it in a case. I really like the look of it. Plus no Verizon branding on the nylon version if that matters to you.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a Verizon store you can go to, or another store that carries the phone so you pick one up? Internally, they are identical with the exception of the storage (which you've already researched, right?).

You can't make your decision based on our feedback. There's only one objective difference between the two: storage. You either need 64GB of storage or you don't. If you do, your decision has been made for you: Ballistic Nylon. If you don't, then it's all personal based on how the phone feels and looks to you in person in your hand. At first I was peeved that I was being forced to buy the BN because it was the only phone with 64GB. Then I walked into the store and picked up the Metal Glass Fiber versions. I was disappointed in the feel and the "in person" appearance. Photos of them look great, but I didn't care for either the red or black once I got my hands on them. The Ballistic Nylon version, on the other hand, looked and felt great.

So, for me, the Ballistic Nylon looks and feels the best, and has the added benefit of double the storage. Once you walk into a store and pick up both models, you may fall in love with the Metal Glass and wonder what the hell I was thinking. But you do have to have the tactile interaction to make an educated purchase decision, IMO.

Last edited:

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
As stated above, you really need to check out both models personally, if possible. I have the Ballistic Nylon and would buy the same model again.

Hope it works out well for you.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
My thought is this:

1. If you regularly use a cell phone case, and intend to do so with this Turbo
2. If you don't need 64GB

Then, I would personally opt for the MGF. There are more case options available, and the phone will be thinner, as the BN is a little thicker.

If you plan to keep it naked, the BN is a nice option and will resist scratches. If you need 64GB, the decision is made for you.

Cheers

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My only regret about getting the 64GB BN, is that they didn't offer the BN in red.

I didn't like the feel of the MGF, personal opinion, and that's why seeing them in person is important if you can.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the MGF and the thing is darn slippery. I've never used a case on any of my phones, but have been forced into using one with this phone because I'm afraid of dropping it. I think its really kind of a poor design compared to the rubberized backs of previous Droid models. I didn't realize just how nice those were. I hear the BN has the same slippery issues, although I do think it looks a little nicer. I've tried some kevlar backing similar to the kevlar skins that are out there, but its slippery as well. So, as has been said, if you don't need 64gb and might use a case I'd go with the MGF as it will be slightly smaller and have more case options.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's like buying cologne for someone else. One person's intoxicating fragrance is another person's bug spray.

Or something.

Like the others have said, if at all possible, touch 'em somewhere. I have the BN but that's because I wanted the 64GB of storage and that's the only option. I was thinking of the red MG until I found out only the BN had 64GB. I never did go to a store and pick them up myself, though.

The case gap has closed considerably in the past month or so. If you get the BN now, you will have plenty of options from which to choose, even if maybe not as many as for the MG version.

Otherwise, there have been no widespread QC issues reported with either as far as I've seen. So construction-wise, either is a good choice.

Enjoy!

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I got the BN solely to get the 64-gig of storage. The fact that it's more eye appealing to me over the other finish was secondary.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I am upgrading in the morning. Do i order the nylon or the regular. Anyone have any input good or bad on either way?

after almost two weeks with the nylon I brought it back today and traded for the regular. the nylon was beginning to become frayed where it connected to the soft rubber. I don't recommend it even though its an amazing looking phone.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the BN64gb and use no case. Carry in my pockets and use it heavily. Have zero fraying and really love the look and feel. Have had many people comment on the cool looking phone.

Plus it has double the storage ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Two caseless since purchased in early October, and no fraying except what came out of the box.

However, your phone, your choice. If you need the storage, decision is made. Otherwise, personal preference at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non