How can I stop a memory and battery drain?

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Memory Drain / Battery Life

Anyone else having a memory drain? Earlier I thought I had issues with Google Messenger, then noticed it wasn't that specific text app, but rather every time I took a screen shot. After checking memory usage after screenshots, I may have an app hogging the memory, which is causing the lag / crash after a screen shot. I tried taking a second screen shot, but phone completely froze and I had to re-start.

On a side-note, I'm barely getting one day out of the phone battery. I guess it is time for a factory reset

Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-21-50.jpg

after restarting the phone, I am back to 1.2gb of memory usage

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Memory Drain / Battery Life

Wow there's definitely something going on there. I'm always setting at 1.5 to 1.7 free and have amazing battery life.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Its not necessarily bad to have little free ram. It just means you've been opening a lot of apps. The reason the stay in ram is to keep them ready for you to open again, making apps load faster. If you use an app to keep your memory free then youll drain your battery and your phone will be slower because every time you open an app it has to fully load

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Its not necessarily bad to have little free ram. It just means you've been opening a lot of apps. The reason the stay in ram is to keep them ready for you to open again, making apps load faster. If you use an app to keep your memory free then youll drain your battery and your phone will be slower because every time you open an app it has to fully load

Of course, there are some apps that you probably only use occassionally (say once a week or a couple of times a month just to set an example). Things like the Amazon app or the My Verizon app (examples in my own use where they are useful but not nearly daily use) will auto-start even if you force close them with Greenify or some other cache cleaning app. If you disable those apps, they obviously won't be using up RAM. We'll each weigh the pros and cons of various apps differently, and decide whetehr the RAM use is worth the actual use we get out of them.

MotoCare (and MotoCareInt) really tick me off. Even if you select in the Settings menu to not have them run, they do anyway. While they can't be disabled, they can be force closed, and I do that every time I reboot my Turbo. I also clear the data they've collected (which can be significant over time). Admittedly, that's a risk if you ever figure you're going to need Moto support and it wanting access to that data. In the one time I have reached out to them, it wasn't useful to them anyway, and my issue (related to Sleep mode in Moto Actions on my prior Droid Maxx) wasn't ever resolved. Unlike the apps that auto-restart anyway, those two MotoCare apps do stay closed.