How do I remove the Google search bar at the top of the screen?

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
How to remove Google search bar at the top of the screen

I have a droid Maxx turbo and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the white Google search bar strip at the top of every screen the home screen and any other screen you slide over to because I like to use pictures from my wallpaper and the white bar gets in the way of some of the pictures I put up any help would be greatly appreciated thanks so much

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to remove Google search bar at the top of the screen

I'm not familiar with the Motorola Launcher but is there a setting there for a persistent search? If you're using a 3rd party launcher like Nova, there is that option and if active, it places that search bar everywhere.

If not that option and it's a widget, then you should be able to tap and hold on the bar and drag it to the trash can to remove from the homescreen. If you can't tap/hold it, then it's probably the first option as this is not a normal widget.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I recommend Nova launcher. Its super customizable and tons of people use it. I like it enough that I even paid for it.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

+1 for Nova. I tried Nova and would never go back. I can now even use the space where the Google Search bar used to be.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Just hold down and the home screen and when options come up click home screen settings and uncheck show google bar.

It hides it, but its still there.. you cant see it but you cant put anything in its place. I like it better hidden.

This info is for the turbo, dont know if the maxx will do the same thing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Just hold down and the home screen and when options come up click home screen settings and uncheck show google bar.

It hides it, but its still there.. you cant see it but you cant put anything in its place. I like it better hidden.

This info is for the turbo, dont know if the maxx will do the same thing.

Yeah but, for me, after the 5.1 update it flashes visible when plugging into charger, waking up, and various other weird times.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I believe it is a bug as of right now. Should be fixed when next patch comes out.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I believe it is a bug as of right now. Should be fixed when next patch comes out.

A bug? I thought it was on every screen to have something to do with being able to say ok google from any screen (not moto always listening) since it first appeared on every screen with the original moto x and moto maxx.

I could be wrong. Could have just been googles way of having something on every screen llol

Beth111

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I have an Android with the Google search bar in the center of the screen. I followed the advice given here to hold and move it out of the way. I discovered that if you hold onto the bar and move it to the top of the screen, the "remove" will appear and it does just that. Thanks.