Droid X Forum Member Initial Thoughts & Reviews

EpicInUtah

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Xel, Boiler, Bleezy and & Utah, thanks for your input. I will also be getting my droid(near future) either the X or the Fascinate(still undecided-lol) and I'm happy to see more & more posts of people coming from bb's that dont regret the move. I've been on my curve for lil over 2yrs now & it was always one of my concerns as to whether i"d like it or not & aft cking them out in my local Vzw, I love what i see! Cant wait! ;)
(sorry for the hijack)

Honestly, now that I have my X, I feel like I was ripped off paying for data on my BB 8330. Seriously, what a waste compared to what I can do now. It's amazing.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, now that I have my X, I feel like I was ripped off paying for data on my BB 8330. Seriously, what a waste compared to what I can do now. It's amazing.
LOL! :D I seriously Lol'd when I read this!:p
Well, with that said, I can't wait till I get my droid. I just don't know if I can wait till Xmas with that deal that Best Buy is having on black Friday($1 for the SF)! I may be able to talk the hubby into splurging earlier :) & possibly talk him into a droid also!but, I am still so undecided between the X & the Sammy Fas!

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

I completely understand where you are coming from. Why pay for a days plan when really all you are getting is email. The browser on Blackberry devices aren't good at all. Even downloading apps were a pain. Love my Droid X. The phone is so fast and I do more with it than I ever did with my Blackberry.

overithiswire

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I really like it. UI is killer. Some minor things that my eye catches. For example some icons in the UI are blurry and not high res and some are. If i go to text message someone and it the menu key there is an option to call and it has a phone icon. the phone icon is blurry and not crisp like the insert icon. As far as hardware goes excellent. Battery life is good but not great. It sure doesn't last like an apple battery. That's one thing they need to get on. I can intensely browse on my ipad for hours without putting a dent in the battery life of the ipad. All in all i really enjoy the droid x. I think it's one of the best smartphones out. The screen is amazing. Resolution is great. I LOVE the way motorola has the UI set up. I don't know why people complain about it. I would much rather have the motorola UI then stock android. I love my X.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine for a day now and it's definitely going back! Looks like my DInc will have to suffice until VZW gets a 4.3" HTC superphone. My problems with the X are as follows;

1. The browser is absolutely atrocious; text is jaggy, no desktop mode and it's not as refined as the HTC browser.
2. The social networking prowess is 1 step above useless (barely).
3. Email implementation outside of the GMail app is worthless. Why is there a separate Y! email? Hotmail does not work correctly.
4. Camera/camcorder quality is iffy at best.

Prior to my DInc I had the original Droid and loved that phone to death. I really believed that I was gonna love the X also but goodness gracious Motorola screwed the pooch on this. The hardware may be nice but the software ruins it!

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for a day now and it's definitely going back! Looks like my DInc will have to suffice until VZW gets a 4.3" HTC superphone. My problems with the X are as follows;

1. The browser is absolutely atrocious; text is jaggy, no desktop mode and it's not as refined as the HTC browser.
2. The social networking prowess is 1 step above useless (barely).
3. Email implementation outside of the GMail app is worthless. Why is there a separate Y! email? Hotmail does not work correctly.
4. Camera/camcorder quality is iffy at best.

Prior to my DInc I had the original Droid and loved that phone to death. I really believed that I was gonna love the X also but goodness gracious Motorola screwed the pooch on this. The hardware may be nice but the software ruins it!
that's the first bad review that I've read in a long time. Im still getting it. Sorry it wasn't as good as you thought.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
eX Blackberry user to Droid X user..

It took me a lot of thinking and researching before I finally made the switch...but I am soooooo glad I finally did. RIM was going nowhere I liked with a touchscreen device. So here I am. I still have (some) love for Blackberry......but the Droid X is S U P E R I O R. :D
It's been two months and I'm loving this phone.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
It just shows that peaple have different experiences with phones. Some good and some bad but its good to hear Booth sides. I have one question for you guys about the screen. I'm using a Samsung vibrant on T-Mobile and I'm not happy with owning a phone that is almost six months behind in getting froyo and still has some big GPS issues that seem not to be getting a fix. The only thing that I really like is the super amoled screen. My question is how is the screen and does it work good as to the sensitivity? I would be downgrading to a lesser screen obviously not the size. That's the only thing that I'm worrired about switching to the dx

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It just shows that peaple have different experiences with phones. Some good and some bad but its good to hear Booth sides. I have one question for you guys about the screen. I'm using a Samsung vibrant on T-Mobile and I'm not happy with owning a phone that is almost six months behind in getting froyo and still has some big GPS issues that seem not to be getting a fix. The only thing that I really like is the super amoled screen. My question is how is the screen and does it work good as to the sensitivity? I would be downgrading to a lesser screen obviously not the size. That's the only thing that I'm worrired about switching to the dx
The screen is so precise I can touch something the size of a needle tip and it responds. Its amazing..never seen anything so precise before on a touchscreen device...and it has nothing to do with the screen being larger. I could tap on this "X" mark and open a link. Go to a Verizon store and try one out and see if you like it.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to just to make sure I really do want one. That makes me feel a lot better about giving up on the super amoled screen. No I'm even more excited about it. The vibrant was the only touch screen phone that Ive had where the screen response was spot on. Hopefully buy early January I will be rocking the Droid x. Thanks for the input.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Im a proud owner of a Droid X. Just got it a week ago today and i thought i would put in my two cents. Ive has a few phones this year starting with the Hero from sprint then the Nexus one on tmobile then the last one is the samsung vibrant. I would not recomend the vibrant at all. Ok so now im on verizon with the Droid X. When i first got my hands on it when i first came out i thought that it was too big and kinda ulgly next to the vibrant. I said to myself that i made a good choice with the vibrant. My thoughts about the size and looks of the dx are now gone and i think that the 4.3 inch screen is perfect and that i like the way it looks ( not all round like a lot of phones). Everyone i work with have the iphone 4 and thought that the vibrant looked like the 3gs wich it does. I am suprised that the dx does not feels too big or is too heavy in my hand. Its a lot thinner then i thought too. The screen was something that i was a little worried about becouse of the super amoled screen on the vibrant. Obvious the amoled screen is better all around then the screen on the dx, but i dont miss the super amoled screen one bit. Im very happy with the dx sceen, very responsive. Having buttons to use as to the touch capasitve buttons are much nicer to use i guess its kinda old school. The speed of the phone running on 2.2 is really fast and ive had no problems with it as of now. I didnt know how much i missed haveing flash on a phone i dont know how peaple live with out it. The camera seems to be pretty good had some pics that did not come out very good mostly in doors but had some look really good espectially outside . The video i think is really good outside but a little one i took inside was grainy but the sound was awsome. the vibrant that i had took great vids but the sound was really bad so im impressed with the dx and how it can handle the sound. My batt life seems to be real good for the exception of the first day in which my phone was in a leather case that is attached to my belt. Evey time i took out my phone it was on and was in the car dock mode. So my battery life was really bad that day. I then picked up a really nice rubber case and thought that would help when in the leather pouch. It help a little bit had better battery life the second day. Then i found out the the magnets in the pouch was what was turning on phone. So now no more pouch untill i can find one with no magnets. Now with light to moderate use i get really good batt life. I can go an eight hour work day shift and come home and have 30% to 40% left and im happy with that infact ive had 50% left on tuesday when i came home. Now i even like the motto widgets that came with the phone i like the way they work. Ive used Launcher Pro with the vibrant but have not use it yet on the dx. I have it just not seeing much use for it right now infact if and when i use it i will use the same widgets ( wich i did not know that you could use the moto widget with launcher pro but you can) so there is no reason to use launcher pro right now. My wife even got the same phone could not pass up getting the phones for free in Wirefly. She came over from a BB and even though there are a few things that android phones dont do like the BB does ( push notification on a lot of stuff) She is liking the phone. So I love this phone and i think that i have found a phone and a carrier that i will have for a long long time. Its nice to know that the Droid phones are taken care of with updates and bug fixes such as the one that will be coming out any day now ( 2.2.1) I do beileve that this phone will outlast the vibrant that i had. That is a very comforting thought. I would reccomend this phone to eveyone. I will say this that if you have one and are experiancing a lot of problems dont think bad of the phone just take it back and get a new one becaouse that is not normal of the phone. Every phone has issues. You have a right to have a phone that works. Ok so there you go hope that this can help you in picking up the droid x.

One more thing just thought that i would say is that im a big fan of the android OS and that it better then the iOS and iphone. Everone one for the exception of me and one other at work ( r2d2 droid 2 phone ) they all have the iphone 4 and they all think that the dx is too big but i think they are jealous. They seem to get very deffeceive when i talk about there phone i think its an iphone thing.

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had my DX for a week now(my first smartphone) and used it alot the first few days, with some problems, but that was me not knowing things about apps and setup of the phone itself. I love the phone. I thought it was too big when I was looking into getting an upgrade and was deciding between the X and the Fascinate. At first leaning towards the fascinate. I kept reading the forums here on AC and decided after awhile that all the workarounds on the Fascinate to get stuff that the X had already, was not worth it. I'm refering to the Bing, bad GPS, and not as good reception/call quality. All the things I read the X had better reviews with. I'm very happy with my decision.
Mine came already loaded with 2.2 , but I started getting the newest update messages the 2nd day I got it. The 2.3.340 update. I just keep hitting to Update later, because I keep reading about all the issues people are having with the new update. Mine is running smoothly at the moment, so don't want to take a chance of anything happening yet. I'm liking the Moto blur widgets at the moment, so not going to try launcher pro yet. I've only downloaded about 7 or 8 apps, not really sure which ones to get yet.
Battery life the first couple of days when I used it the most, was Excellent. The second day I used it about 16 hours of moderate use and got down to 15%. That was from 8am to midnight. I'm not a power user by any stretch, but I think I'm getting good battery life so far.
GPS and Phone quality has been great. I came from using VZ navigator which I had to pay for and now using Google maps for free. I did like VZ navigator a little better, but just a preference and not about to pay to have it. No problems with Google Navigation getting me where I want to go. I even bought the car mount and like how it works with the X. Bought a bluetooth bundle with Car charger, screen protectors, and a nice two piece case the VZ rep who had it for his Fascinate had recommended to me. The bluetooth works well.
I use Wifi at home and on the road only had some problems with 3g coverage on the road once. Once on a long phone call at home, the X did feel a little heavy in my hand after awhile, but not bad. I can always use the speaker to talk if a problem or the bluetooth. The phone runs very smooth. At first I couldn't wait to use the swype, but couldn't get use to it for a couple days so used the multitouch keyboard. After seeing a VZ guy using his thumb to do it, I tried and found it to be great (I was using my index finger on the landscape mode). I'm not a texter and don't have texting on my phone, but I do use the email and am getting much better with the Swype. Voice to text is good also. Although when using google Voice on the web, sometimes can have problems understanding me.
Overall very happy with my choice and still have 3 weeks left on my 30 days, so if something goes wrong, I can return it. I'm probably going to stick with it if something does go wrong and just return for another X. I appreciate all the help from the forum and the forum for all the research I did before getting my X.:) I'd definitely recommend this phone to others.

bcpalma

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
60 days in and I miss my Blackberry dearly. I will never master typing on a touchscreen, people who say they are great at it, aren't always telling the truth. My only other beef, I think Motorola forget this was also a phone. Makes wrong calls and often misses calls. Screen is nice....I guess.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
60 days in and I miss my Blackberry dearly. I will never master typing on a touchscreen, people who say they are great at it, aren't always telling the truth. My only other beef, I think Motorola forget this was also a phone. Makes wrong calls and often misses calls. Screen is nice....I guess.

I encourage you to turn on swype. A friends mother said that same thing at christmas and I turned on swype for her. Seen get this past weekend and she couldn't stop thanking me.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Just wanna add my 2 cents here...
Droid X rooted with z4.... 8 months owner now...

---Screen - I love the screen. Fits my needs (big fingers-lol)
---Hardware - Compared to my previous ATT Samsung Eternity and Verizon Omina2... this was some serious harware...
---Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - I talk with my fiance alot... and the speaker quality is excellent. Receiver is good. No issues. Dont you bluetooth headset. I will use my headphones when a call interrupts my music. lol
---Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher)---Launcher was ok. When I for Launcher Pro and ADW and handcentSMS and all other customization apps, i quick left the stock
----Motorola Widgets - crap
----Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - im in the southeast (GA)... Verizon is the best. ATT (experience)/Sprint(fiance experience)/Tmo (Fiance new experience-lol) just sucks
---GPS very fast connection... better than the previous 2 phones ive used
---Social Networking - I use Flow for Facebook and Twidroid for Twitter. Love them both... Widget...wtf is the point, I got the app!
---Email/Calendar... corporate email, yahoo, gmail all sync fine and no latency
----Battery Life --- awesome! after my first 2 weeks back in August 2010, i got my battery down to a science... 100% at 6am... 20% at 11pm... no charge inbetween...
----Performance - still loving it!
----Media (music, movies, DLNA) - dont DLNA... but PowerAMP and Youtube and Vevo and MP3 Music Downloader and etc all work great.. no skips or chomps
----Moto Widgets reviews - OMG... why are you (moto) guys making widgets?!?!?! stick with phones... let the devs make widgets!
----Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard - never could get used to Swype... i alway use keyboard
----Camera (both still & video) - awesomeness
----How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)--- well.. let me be blunt... one is god... the other is satan... LMAO!!!
Disappointments (if any)---- ummmmm... move the search botton far left... i see no use in it.. LOL

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I played with the DroidX for two days and two things killed it for me. The terrible battery life. I know that it is typical for Android phones to have crappy batteries, but I get well over 24 hours with my Moment so I was expecting more than 6 hours out of it. The second thing that kills this phone for me is the non-existent Corporate Email Sync. We are a very email heavy company, that I am trying to move into the 21st Century with Android, but the Droid X killed that dream for me.

Mind you I didn't root it because it's a demo phone. I couldn't possibly justify this phone to my superiors based on the fact that I could root the phone to make it better, when the Crackberries work exactly as we need.

It's sad really.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
@darkphoenix I would argue two days with the DX is not enough time to make such a major decision on the device.

1. Battery Life. I have found the DX to have some of the best battery life in its class. Far better than the Evo or Incredible. Most people kill the battery on their droid the first few days or weeks because they use it non-stop!

2. The DX does have corporate e-mail sync. Perhaps you didn't find it or have it setup incorrectly?

Having said all that.... In the case where you claim your company is heavily dependent on email then why would you switch from a BB. BlackBerry is a great device and can do most things a Droid can do and some it cannon. Not to mention superior device control and security (assuming you have BES). No it isn't as pretty or flashy but it is highly functional.