What is the deal with these phone shortages?

rjmlakota

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was told there was a shortage at my local Verizon store. They said they would have to order the DX and it wouldn't arrive until around the 8/2. Well, I called another Verizon store around 20 miles from my local one. I was told "we are receiving a shipment around 3:00pm, call back to see if we have any in stock".

So, 3 o'clock came, I called and they received two of them. Jumped in my truck and was able to get the last one they had!

RJ

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Still says 8/3 for me ?

I was told there was a shortage at my local Verizon store. They said they would have to order the DX and it wouldn't arrive until around the 8/2. Well, I called another Verizon store around 20 miles from my local one. I was told "we are receiving a shipment around 3:00pm, call back to see if we have any in stock".

So, 3 o'clock came, I called and they received two of them. Jumped in my truck and was able to get the last one they had!

RJ

WHAT?! Where do you live? Sounds like verizon stores are getting preference to refill their inventory over those who placed online orders.

mhutsell3

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So if my local store happened to get them will they allow me to cancel the over the phone order I placed in exchange for getting it today at the store?

:mad:

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
WHAT?! Where do you live? Sounds like verizon stores are getting preference to refill their inventory over those who placed online orders.

Of course they do. The online portion is just another retail front. Its earmarked for a whole bunch more then any given store, as well it should be. But they can't just ignore demand in store because you ordered yours online instead. All of them including the online portion are going to be allocated stock based on demand.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, people and stores are (mostly) still getting phones, it's just that as more orders pile up the date by which new orders can be filled naturally moves back. It's not at all like the Dinc, where the screen issue pretty much meant that no additional stock was getting moved after the initial batch was sold out.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Ok I see your point, It is sort of similar to what we do in the Automotive Industry. We try to build up cars ahead of the actual public launch of a vehicle much like we recently did with the Jeep GC. We had 4000 vehicles on day one when the public could actually buy them, we now have about 130 days of orders for them.

So while the industry Phone -vs- Auto is a little different I see similarities and understand your point about the i-Phone.

@mhutsell3 - Just out of curiosity, do you work at that plant? I'm asking because my husband does.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Phone Shortage?

74a9d4ac.jpg

Granted all these are sold already, but still nice to see them all show up.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
there would not be a shortage if everythig was not made in china. If it was made here it would not have to sit on a boat in the ocean for a month.

kadinldg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I think Verizon is holding off on these orders until they get their new data plan structures in place. I read a post on another website that stated the Droid X users are using 5 times more data than other users. No more unlimited data plans. Following AT&T standards and Verizon not setting their own. Verizons new data plans will be in place by July 29th.

powermanaf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think Verizon is holding off on these orders until they get their new data plan structures in place. I read a post on another website that stated the Droid X users are using 5 times more data than other users. No more unlimited data plans. Following AT&T standards and Verizon not setting their own. Verizons new data plans will be in place by July 29th.

If that were the case, then they wouldn't even allow anyone to order the phones and set up a data plan, because they can't just "take it back" once you sign up for unlimited data for $29.99 a month. I am sure everyone who already has unlimited data will continue to get it, just like AT&T did for their customers.

I really do believe they just have a ton of orders they have to process and are shipping them out as they go through them.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is absolutely not holding off on shipping orders to wait for their new data plans. Don't get me wrong, Verizon is a large corporation and has its own interests first, but just like AT&T they will announce the upcoming change first, there will be a grace period after that for people to get new contracts under the old unlimited plan, and they may even allow people to renew contracts to lock it in. Remember that iPhone users were using 19x the data of other smartphone customers when it shipped, and several years later when AT&T finally changed their plans they still gave people a grace period, etc.

Verizon knows it won't be a popular choice, and they sure aren't going to risk worse press or consumer backlash by being ****s about it. Especially since their network isn't suffering from the same problems as AT&T did with the iPhone.

fiveojeb

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I believe that something more than a shortage is causing the problem..just announced today was that the Droid x is causing 5 times more data use. Maybe its true or maybe big red is looking to start a new data use fee. This is coming in the near future and they will use this issue start it off. Or maybe they have realized that if they release all the Droid x phones to the market it may crash the network with the extra data use. Either way we will never know the truth. But let's hope it all works out. Within 5 years cell phone monthly bills will cost the same as a car note.

Jumper_jax

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
From my understanding they pushed the x out early due to the inc shortages so they didn't have enough back stock in x's to last too long. I know people that work at a vzw store near where i work. My friend said they are actually starting to get shipments of inc's soon and its going to be a few weeks to get more x's

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
From a marketing perspective, changing the plans going into the holiday season would make sense--then again so would back to school (college). I don't think there's anything nefarious with the delays though.

Sidebar: it will be interesting to compare the Incredibles with the TFT screens to the AMOLED versions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk