Droid X - No sound with headphones

steeleman23

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm just posting this as an FYI for others (since I searched extensively and found nothing to help me with this specific issue).

I got myself a new Droid X, downloaded a bunch of stuff, got it set up how I wanted and a couple days later when I went to stream Pandora through my headphones I got no sound. When I unplugged the headphones, it played music through the speaker just fine, just not through my headphones. Playing with some more apps I found this to be the same with all apps including the default music player. However, I tried the FM Radio app (as I knew this app to be different as I NEEDED headphones plugged in to use it since it uses them as the FM antennae), and voila, I had sound. So it was clearly a software issue, not hardware. I knew I had the most up to date version of Android from Motorola, so I didn't know what else to do. I searched and searched but didn't find anyone else with a similar problem, but I did find a lot of posts from users with other brands/models of phones and it seems a Hard Reset might fix the problem. So that's what I did following the guide listed here:

Droid X Hard Reset (Just one addendum: You need to scroll down using the volume rocker to select factory reset after step 3, which the guide doesn't say explicitly.)

Anyway, after a hard reset and reprogramming of my phone, I tested the headphone connectivity with some music on my SD card and it worked!

So, short version:
Headphone problem --> Hard reset = fix (at least in my case)

Hope others find this useful. Now to go download all my apps again, /grumble.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. FM radio worked fine but media player didn't play through headphones or the aux jack to my car. Took it into a verizon store and the tech plugged in a set of phones and it worked. Now its fine. I think its just a glitch that can correct itself.

rsfkyk

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I found that just rebooting the phone solves the problem when it shows up for me. I've had it since launch day and it's only done it twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non