Grainy indoor photos

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wanted to get some feedback from other owners to see if there might be a problem with my camera.

Outdoor shots look fine but my indoor shots looks very grainy. Even looking on the screen before the shots, it looks grainy. After snapping the pic, the shot looks extremely grainy.

How are your indoor pics coming out?

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
indoor pics will not be as good due to lighting. Current flash on smart5phones are inadequate to capture significant lighting and usually has many distortions.

Until Smartphones come equipped with xenon flash this will be an issue.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I've taken some decent indoor pics with my X. One with flash and the other without. Both are in relatively low light. To me they don't look grainy considering it's a cell phone camera. Can you post some of yours? Forgot to mention these are at max quality (8mp).

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've taken some decent indoor pics with my X. One with flash and the other without. Both are in relatively low light. To me they don't look grainy considering it's a cell phone camera. Can you post some of yours? Forgot to mention these are at max quality (8mp).

I just tried at 8mp setting and that seems to make quite a difference. I just took these on 8mp with/without flash. Still a little blurry but not too grainy. I think picasa shrunk them down when I uploaded them.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Those don't look bad at all. They'll be a little blurry unless you can hold very still. Sometimes I have to take several shots to get a sharp one but considering how small the sensor is on these phones, I'm satisfied. They'll only get better.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Also: please make sure you use a microfiber cloth to wipe the camera lens before shooting. I keep telling people to do this and the difference it makes in clarity is significant.

STILLIRISE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
im not happy with my shots overall...i think somethings wrong with my camera...very blury and grainy shots....or its a software problem also something goes wrong when you press the camera button (that's when my shots get blurry ) funny thing is i downloaded FX CAMERA from the market (to get some different shots effects) and you don't have to use the physical camera button, they have a on screen button and my pictures are 100% better! no blurry shots!!! (use the normal mode in and you will see what i mean)

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The main problem here is you're trying to use a sensor that's approximately 1/4 the size of your pinky nail. A normal point and shoot uses one about the size of your pinky finger nail and a DSLR sensor is slightly larger than a stamp. So, imagine you were trying to recreate a painting standing 50 feet away, 20 feet away or 5 feet away. Now consider on top of this, the lighting is poor, because you're indoors, and nothing beats the good ole sun for giving the best lighting (outdoors). For the farthest away one (the phone sensor), you'd have to guess on a lot of the details, because they wouldn't be clear to you. The closer you got, the less you'd have to guess on. So half the problem is that your sensor is so small, its guessing at what is there.

Also there's a lot of electrical qualities about the sensors that can produce noise in your photos. High end DSLRs already do well in low light, because they have huge high quality sensors. The technology to bring that small sensor low light sensitivity up, is on its way.

As far as MPs go, bigger is not always better. I don't really feel like delving into any further. But I could hand you a 1million MP camera (if one existed), and possibly still take better pictures with a lesser one, because of the sensor size and quality.

Also, someone mentioned using flashes etc. I know it seems bright, but the flash really has a limited effect here, no more than a few feet...and the further you get away from the flash, the improvement it offers is going to decrease exponentially. So really, I wouldn't consider the flash the issue.

FlatTopFoley

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
As far as MPs go, bigger is not always better. I don't really feel like delving into any further. But I could hand you a 1million MP camera (if one existed), and possibly still take better pictures with a lesser one, because of the sensor size and quality.

this is proven with a 12mp point and shoot and something like a canon Rebel XTI. The XTI is only 10.1mp but can still out preform the point and shoot just because of the sensor size.

Outside in night mode.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

blah :p

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on the blackberry forums, but since I am here as well and have a Droid X, I thought I would repost it here and see what you guys think.

I have had a Droid X for over 2 weeks now and notice something weird and thought I would ask a question or make a statement. It seems that the Blackberry takes better pictures than the Droid X. Despite being a 8.0mg camera, it seems that the 2.5 of the Blackberry takes better pictures.

Anyone know what the deal is? I love the Droid, cool features, but I take alot of pictures and would like them to be clearer. I know its a phone but the Droid ins't manning up.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Right, if the square in the middle isn't green yet, then your target is not in focus and you shouldn't take the photo. Also, like I mentioned in another thread, if you're having trouble taking pictures without some blur, put the camera in image stabilization mode. That'll sharpen them right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez