Slow after update?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this maybe merged into another thread if needed.
My X is very slow after the update.
I do have ATK but don't use it.
HOW can I track down if it's an app that is slowing it down or just the update?
Boot time is not changed.
I love the new improvements but would have hoped they would not come at the cost of loosing device speed.
When I say it's slow, I mean, scrolling page to page, unlocking the screen..the lil thing you drag across, it'll pause for like 2 seconds before the home page even comes up, landscape mode switching back and forth hangs and just generally overall slow.
I wonder if my Launcher Pro has anything to do with it.
Thanks!

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this maybe merged into another thread if needed.
My X is very slow after the update.
I do have ATK but don't use it.
HOW can I track down if it's an app that is slowing it down or just the update?
Boot time is not changed.
I love the new improvements but would have hoped they would not come at the cost of loosing device speed.
When I say it's slow, I mean, scrolling page to page, unlocking the screen..the lil thing you drag across, it'll pause for like 2 seconds before the home page even comes up, landscape mode switching back and forth hangs and just generally overall slow.
I wonder if my Launcher Pro has anything to do with it.
Thanks!

LP has absolutely nothing to do with it. Uninstall ATK. Reboot. Get used to killing apps from the manage apps service (under settings). Go kill unwanted services (e.g. social media, news service, skype, etc.) one by one. Link shortcut for manage apps to home screen or LP dock if necessary (your new "task killer") I even used a skull/crossbones icon from LP icons as the avatar ;) Trust me, the objective measures like Quadrant show a significant increase but more importantly the phone just feels snappier.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I can certainly do that.
But this is where it gets fuzzy on what to kill and/or not use?
For instance my home screen has widgets for ringer on/ , zee Favorites , android central, Jorte calendar and buzzbox, the rest are just app icons, including one for Pandora stations.
i have a widget for note everything and I use the FB for LP widget and a bunch of games but only links/icons to them.

When I go to the android system info app I have, I have 13% ram left, 91% internal memory.

I don't get what I need to kill and what is ok. I mean I see widgets on other people's so it must be something I'm doing wrong.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
General rule is never kill anything that you didn't download yourself or that you aren't sure you don't use. For example, I wouldn't kill the stock moto weather, calendar, or any other updating services. However, if you don't use the stock Moto NewsFeed, Swype, GTalk, Moto Social Widgets you can kill those off safely. Post a full list if you want and I'll give you my two cents on each. I am a recovering ATK addict (used it 20 times a day) and this really is so much safer.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Do not use ATK. Unless they revised it recently, task killers are not compatible with Froyo. The best thing you can do, is stop monitoring your tasks, and let the OS do it for you. I really should have this printed on a t-shirt.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Do not use ATK. Unless they revised it recently, task killers are not compatible with Froyo. The best thing you can do, is stop monitoring your tasks, and let the OS do it for you. I really should have this printed on a t-shirt.

Thanks, Cory. In all due respect and please take it this way, I have tried NOT using a task killer (with old version of Froyo) and my phone had gotten as painfully slow as it is now. ADT DID help the performance of my Droid X.
It simply ran quicker and better in my hands.
But I'm willing to learn new things and i'll try it this way!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
LP has absolutely nothing to do with it. Uninstall ATK. Reboot. Get used to killing apps from the manage apps service (under settings). Go kill unwanted services (e.g. social media, news service, skype, etc.) one by one. Link shortcut for manage apps to home screen or LP dock if necessary (your new "task killer") I even used a skull/crossbones icon from LP icons as the avatar ;) Trust me, the objective measures like Quadrant show a significant increase but more importantly the phone just feels snappier.

Where/how did you get a shortcut for managing apps??? Sure would be a benefit to have THAT handy. I agree with you on using this to control power drain... it's extremely effective!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Cory. In all due respect and please take it this way, I have tried NOT using a task killer (with old version of Froyo) and my phone had gotten as painfully slow as it is now. ADT DID help the performance of my Droid X.

Your experience trumps my opinion, so no offense taken :) 95% of the time, it is the other way around, but you might be part of the 5% that knows how to use a task killer without causing problems (e.g., only killing apps that you launch yourself, not system apps and services). I know in Froyo specifically, the system will go into overdrive trying to restart things that task killers attempt to kill, which in turn causes poor performance.

Usually, when I give the don't use task killers advice, after someone complains of performance/battery life issues, they come back and thank me later.

tdrus1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Where/how did you get a shortcut for managing apps??? Sure would be a benefit to have THAT handy. I agree with you on using this to control power drain... it's extremely effective!

Indeed! APP REQUEST: Startup process blocker, froyo style. I don't need the stupid status update or any of the social networking processes to be running, along with myriad other things that would be a royal PITA to disable every time i reboot my phone.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I have to agree with you. With respect Cory, at least on 2.1, my X insisted on running, among other things, Skype and GTalk. Never used 'em and never will. Killing off apps you know you don't need helps significantly with performance and minimizes batter drain.

Still, using a task killer is absolutely NOT the way to achieve this.... more on this below.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If atk hasn't been updated then it wont kill any system services. Froyo wont allow it. But try a few reboots or sync your phone then do a factory reset then add apps back one at a time until you see what slows your phone down

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Arelunde et al.

No app is needed. Its simple to use the built in process manager already onboard. Here's how to place a shortcut for it:

1) Press and hold homescreen
2) Shortcuts
3) Scroll down to Settings
4) Select Running services
5) Viola...

If you're using LP (as I do) you can take it even a few steps farther. Rename the shortcut and change the icon to whatever you want it to be. LP icons has a great greyscale skull/crossbones icon I use for mine. On LP, you can also designate one of the dock functions to serve as this process manager.

Open the settings shortcut and take a look at what's running. In general DO NOT kill things you don't understand/recognize. Also, don't kill processes that are native to Moto UNLESS you know you don't use those widgets. For example, I don't use the NewsFeed from Moto and kill it off happily. Ditto the Social updating. Skype, GTalk are all common kills for me. Don't touch the calendar, the weather, or any other native functions. See that Pandora is still running in the background? Kill it. You get the idea...

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Indeed! APP REQUEST: Startup process blocker, froyo style. I don't need the stupid status update or any of the social networking processes to be running, along with myriad other things that would be a royal PITA to disable every time i reboot my phone.

I don't understand ... what is the "app request: startup process blocker, froyo style"? Where could I find this?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Hyperlite! Never realized I could access shortcuts to settings! Much appreciated! I've been using the running settings to save battery life (as you recommend). It DOES work! Thanks again!

Now, if I could only figure out how to straighten out my contacts listings - data is fine, but the list itself has first names or parts of first names missing, yet the contact info is correct. Oh well. Minor glitch.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
call me dense here, but is there not an app, or some way to just take a snapshot of what apps are using how much cpu? And if we dont' want them, then kill em?
I see in settings, apps/manage..but it doesn't tell me (as far as I can see) which ones are resource hawgs.
I see Running..but not how much.
I'll gladly kill em off.
Am I looking but not seeing???
:)

tdrus1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand ... what is the "app request: startup process blocker, froyo style"? Where could I find this?

I meant, and something like this may already exist, that we need an app that will permanently block selected services from starting.

And credit where due, i believe it was dural who made the shortcut suggestion :)

And thank you dural, that works beautifully. Hopefully 2.2 will dissolve my desire for all the rebooting battery voodoo i was doing. :)

Last edited:

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea, a shortcut would be good.
But, I'm just wanting to get to the bottom of the business and find out what specifically is bogging me down and kill it.

tdrus1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea, a shortcut would be good.
But, I'm just wanting to get to the bottom of the business and find out what specifically is bogging me down and kill it.

i seriously suggest you do a factory reset. I went ahead and did it this morning, and it solved all my problems, including battery life. Backup on appbrain and just do it. Install fast web installer so you can just shoot stuff back to your phone from appbrain.com

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I might, but will it install the new Froyo?
Sorry, I've never done a factory reset.
I'm afraid I'll loose something. LOL.
But all my pix and stuff ar eon the card..
contacts, etc on Google.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana