S23+ notification sound keeps sounding (won't stop) 🙄

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello, and thanks for any advice regarding this issue!

S23+
One UI 5.1
Android 13
"Last update installed on October 1, 2023"
Xfinity Mobile

There's nothing in the Notifications drop-down except 'Update you phone - A software update is available' .... but that's been there since October 2023, while causing no noti sound.

There's no new email notification badges.

Yes, I know I should probably update, but since activating last Sept, I deliberately haven't updated, after the 1 Oct update, because every single Android and/or AT&T 'Update' (as well as every Apple 'Update' up until 2011), caused an immediate and very noticable drastic slow-down of every iPhone & Android phone I've ever owned!

So, that's the only reason I haven't updated this S23+, which has been running super great and fast, while averaging 3~4 days between charges.

• Since activating last Sept, I've had the 'Retro' - '80s Toms' as a default notification sound.
• A couple days ago, after receiving a normal text, the '80s Toms' noti sound kept sounding every 2 to 3 or 4 minutes, and wouldn't stop sounding at that interval, with no pop-up bubble. And it's still sounding every 2 to 3 or 4 minutes !:~\
• Even weirder, if I change the noti sound to something else (like Retro - 'Disco Tom's or 'Old Camera' &c), the repeating '80s Toms' noti sounds keep sounding, even though all new txt message sounds are set to something like Retro - 'Disco Tom's or 'Old Camera' &c !:~\
• It's like the '80s Toms' is now haunting my phone !:~\

Anyhoo, I suppose updating is typ recommended for security & etc reasons. Thanks again for any suggestions !;-)

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello
Can try 2 things
Reset app preferences in settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap.... This will reset all apps to default so you know in case you customize sounds on others.

Settings>general management>reset>reset settings

And yes I would recommend updating the device lol

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello
Can try 2 things
Reset app preferences in settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap.... This will reset all apps to default so you know in case you customize sounds on others.

Settings>general management>reset>reset settings

And yes I would recommend updating the device lol
Thanks very much !;-) Will try now.
Except, @mustang7757, that second one, would that reset all my edge panel settings & phone app (blocked spam #'s) too? I wouldn't want to have to reset that stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much !;-) Will try now.
Except, @mustang7757, that second one, would that reset all my edge panel settings & phone app (blocked spam #'s) too? I wouldn't want to have to restart that stuff.
@mustang7757 . . the problem with that second one, is that you'd have to go back through your entire 'Settings' menu, of which some categories I've tweaked a lot, while trying to remember what you had things set/tweaked to !:~\

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok skip the 2nd one for now
I really don't want to do the first one either! 😄 Cuz I probably won't recall all the app settings I've changed. 🥴
My wife thinks it's that 'Update your phone - A software update is available' . . . in my notification drop-downs, but again, that's been there since last Oct, while causing no notification sound.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I really don't want to do the first one either! Cuz I probably won't recall all the app settings I've changed.
My wife thinks it's that 'Update your phone - A software update is available' . . . in my notification drop-downs, but again, that's been there since last Oct, while causing no notification sound.
Haha.. do the update

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Haha.. do the update
Was just looking through Settings > 'Sounds and vibration' . . . where the 'Notification sound' is showing 'Retro / 80s Toms' . . and where apparently the only way to make it stop going off, every 2 to 4 minutes (without doing the update or resets), is to mute the noti sound completely. 🙄

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Off out to do some UPS & Kohl's /Amazon returns, so will do the update later tonite . . . during the College Football Playoff National Championship game! 🏈 Go Dawgs!
20231014_155247.jpg20240108_145223.jpg20231014_154055.jpg

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Good lock is a modular customisation framework, Nice catch is a module for said which lets you know where rogue notification sounds and such came from. Download from the Galaxy store.
Thanks very much for the info; preciate that !;-)
Will dwnld and try them out. 😉

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You're not going like me
Go

It should be a good game both deserve to be there and No Sec team
Go sports!
I have no idea what you're talking about...
College Football
Michigan vs Washington championship
Now that's a tough pick... On the one hand, I do like Washington. I even know that the Seattle Seahawks exist. On the other hand, Detroit style pizza is REALLY good...
We're from Seattle; my much much better half is a hopeless Seattle Seaweeds fan, 🙄
She even has Seattle Seaweeds oven mitts... and hot pads... and blue & green Seaweeds glasses... 🙄🙄🙄... if you get the picture. 😉
I'm still too depressed to do anything . . 😥
But phones' still doing the noti sound, even though I have no new toys (not toys...texts! 😄) or noti's. 🤔
It stops temporarily, if I change noti sounds, but then starts going off again, every 2 to 4 mins, every time I get a new txt, and swipe-down that round noti bubble icon, showing the first letter of the txters name, and with the red dot badge; the icon bubble that you swipe-down to the 'X' in the black circle... that turns red when the bubble icon disappears.
Anyhoo, I think there's something gone haywire with that noti bubble icon thing-a-ma-bob! 🤔

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We're from Seattle; my much much better half is a hopeless Seattle Seaweeds fan,
She even has Seattle Seaweeds oven mitts... and hot pads... and blue & green Seaweeds glasses... ... if you get the picture.

I'm still too depressed to do anything . .
But phones' still doing the noti sound, even though I have no new toys (not toys...texts! ) or noti's.
It stops temporarily, if I change noti sounds, but then starts going off again, every 2 to 4 mins, every time I get a new txt, and swipe-down that round noti bubble icon, showing the first letter of the txters name, and with the red dot badge; the icon bubble that you swipe-down to the 'X' in the black circle... that turns red when the bubble icon disappears.
Anyhoo, I think there's something gone haywire with that noti bubble icon thing-a-ma-bob!

Did you do the update?

Reactions: winmod21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana